PDA

View Full Version : Planer issue?

Larry Edgerton
05-09-2013, 7:22 AM
I was edge planing a batch of trim the other day and as I held my hand on the trim on its way through I could feel a bump, almost like a gear was bad in the feed drive. I tried it in all four speeds and it was the same except the frequency increased. I have a setup that holds boards vertical but eliminated that. Odd thing is it goes away when flat planing. I listened to the parts with a stethoscope with no load and there is no noise when not under load, and no bump when flat planing. Bed rollers are all the way down and clean. The planer is a SCM 520S.

Any ideas?

Larry

peter gagliardi
05-09-2013, 8:55 AM
I would check the infeed rolls for broken springs. Does it bump all the way across the width of cutter head when edge planing ? Or do you edge plane in only one area ? Is it a "bump" in the feed, or "snipe" ? Snipe leaves a physical mark or depression on the stock.
Peter

Larry Edgerton
05-09-2013, 8:20 PM
My edge planing setup is a set of rollers that are always on the left side. But when I flat plane in the same spot, no bump. The bump does not show up in the piece, its just something that I feel in my fingers as I let the boards run through my fingers on the way through the planer. Feels like a gear with a bad tooth, but I checked all the sprockets on the drive and listened to the gearbox with a stethoscope while not under load and nothing. I need to listen under load with the edge guide bolted into place, but to tell the truth being inside that end of the planer with it running is a little intimidating. I'll wait till someone else is there to run the planer so I can concentrate on just the noise. I say noise but it is not loud enough to hear yet even though the planer is fairly quiet by planer standards.

I will have a look at the springs.

Larry

Jerry Miner
05-09-2013, 8:50 PM
My edge planing setup is a set of rollers that are always on the left side. But when I flat plane in the same spot, no bump.

Maybe a bad bearing in those rollers?

Larry Edgerton
05-11-2013, 8:27 AM
I checked that first Jerry. I have a issue with a three phase bandsaw to deal with today and if I get time I will work on the planer issue.

Stephen Cherry
05-11-2013, 8:37 AM
Is there a loose chain somewhere that skips a tooth? (it's a longshot)

glenn bradley
05-11-2013, 9:01 AM
Can you shift your vertical setup a bit to the left or right and run again? perhaps your issue is focused where the vertical rig causes the material to feed? The wide contact area of a flat piece of material could disguise this. (?)

Rick Fisher
05-11-2013, 1:45 PM
Any chance that your trim is moving from one part of the segmented infeed roller to another ? Causing a " bump " sensation ?

Mark Wooden
05-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Are you running the edges with the bed rollers up? Have you tried it with the bed rollers all the way down? I ask because you may have a bad bed roller bearing/ bushing.

Larry Edgerton
05-13-2013, 7:02 AM
Any chance that your trim is moving from one part of the segmented infeed roller to another ? Causing a " bump " sensation ?

That is something I will have to check. I'll run a couple of pieces with the top up today. I doubt it as I have run the same setup for years but I will watch it today.

Larry Edgerton
05-13-2013, 7:04 AM
Are you running the edges with the bed rollers up? Have you tried it with the bed rollers all the way down? I ask because you may have a bad bed roller bearing/ bushing.

Bed rollers are all the way down and clean, bearings good. Wish I had the Euro version with no rollers.

Larry