PDA

View Full Version : BBQ advice needed

Rick Potter
05-09-2013, 2:24 AM
I just finished looking at old threads about BBQ's. The weber seemed to be the choice in '05/'06. Is this still the case, or is there a new best choice?

I just need a basic, medium size gas BBQ that runs on natural gas. I think I want stainless burners and grates, since I have had problems with cast iron rusting.

Suggestions? Sales?

Rick Potter

Brian Kent
05-09-2013, 2:48 AM
Weber Genesis is probably the best buy in the long run if the price is not too much up front.

Don Morris
05-09-2013, 2:56 AM
You won't find completely stainless steel burners. At least I didn't. They all need some sort of iron in them and over the years will rust. That's why you find replacements at HD and the like. But they can be replaced with not too much problem. I do a lot of grilling and enjoy it. If I have to shovel snow to get to the grill in winter...I do. Weber makes several levels of quality. Make sure you read all of the specs and get the level you want.

Mike Cozad
05-09-2013, 3:29 AM
I also seen burners by some manufacturers that are brass rather than iron. I am actually looking for a set to upgrade my rusted set with....

Jim Matthews
05-09-2013, 7:34 AM
I like my Big Green Egg, which is a glorified smoker.

Two things guide my cooking -
Low and slow
Release the grease

I do believe there are some genuinely skilled practitioners of the "meat over fire" arts in the Creek.
I also believe that keeping things simple leads to better results.

My most successful meals involved wrapping everything in tinfoil,
forgetting about it and coming back in fifteen minutes.

Matt Meiser
05-09-2013, 8:16 AM
Big Green Eggs get great reviews but the prices I've seen make even an expensive Weber look cheap. They do look really nice.

I've had to replace my Weber Genesis Silver burners once in 8 or 9 years. Weber replaced them for free. I probably need to inspect them--might be time to do it again and this time it might be at my expense. I've also bought flavorizor bars and grills once. Now they have SS flavorizor bars and welded wire grills which is what I'll get next time--I've got at least another year left on these. My parents got a Genesis Spirit probably 4 or 5 years ago which is very similar and their experience has been similar. They need new grills and flavorizor bars this year.

The year after I got mine it blew over in a wind storm and I called Weber to see about replacing the broken lid side. The conversation went something like:

Me: My grill blew over in a storm and one one of the castings broke. I wanted to see about ordering a replacement
Them: Did you see it happen?
Me: No
Them: So you don't know for sure how it broke
Me: Well, it did blow over.
Them: But you didn't SEE it so you aren't SURE, right?

And then they sent me a whole new lid and said it was a warranty issue.

Before the Weber we went through 2 cheap grills in about 4 years. Averaged out, the Weber has been LESS expensive than a cheap grill.

Even the Weber covers seem better. We bought a couple cheap ones and they lasted maybe a year. We've had the Weber one probably at least 5 years maybe longer. Its looking pretty ratty so I bought another one but figured I'd let this one start actually falling apart so the new one is still in the box waiting. We leave our grill out all winter with the cover over it.

Oh, and the Weber--it actually LIGHTS when you push the button!

Mike Cutler
05-09-2013, 8:32 AM
Wilmington Grills.
100% stainless steel construction. Every part is stainless, and they're made here in the US. I have the Cape Fear Traveller, and it is built like a tank. The gauge of stainless, and build quality, far and away exceeds any other grill on the market. They are very close to commercial quality restaraunt equipment with respects to the material.
If the Wilmington's don't suit your need, Viking and Wolfe both make stainless outdoor grills, but you'r talking $5-7K.
You would have to probably special order it for NG. but it shouldn't be hard to do.

http://www.wilmingtongrill.com/

Steve Friedman
05-09-2013, 8:36 AM
To echo what Matt said, the Weber warranty is amazing. 25 years on the cookbox and lid, 10 years on the burners, and 5 on the grates and bars. I bought a Genesis with the stainless steel top in 2003. Over the years, they have replaced the top, burners (twice), grates, and flavorizer bars. I never had to prove that the parts needed to be replaced. Just called and they sent them out for free - not even shipping costs. I just called them a couple of weeks ago because the cookbox is a bit warped. They said they would replace it if the warp was bad enough to prevent the grates from sitting flat. I told the truth (that it wasn't that bad) and the woman said just to call them if it gets worse.This is my second Weber gas grill and I think that my first one lasted at least 10 years and probably would have lasted longer if I had realized how generous the warranty policy was.

I haven't kept up with different products, but I love my Genesis and when this one dies, I would not hesitate to buy another one. We use it all year - even in the rain and snow. It is a beast.

Steve

Prashun Patel
05-09-2013, 8:55 AM
I am happy with my weber genesis. Stainless steel where it counts. Front mount burner controls. Sear zone has made it easier to grill.

Brian Elfert
05-09-2013, 9:08 AM
There are many different grades of stainless steel. I would assume most grills are made with a lesser grade of stainless. Some stainless has so little nickel content that it is still magnetic.

My parents and I both have Ducane grills made with stainless burners and grates. They have a stainless grate above the burners. My parents have had to replace the burners and the grate. The heat appears to kill the grate and it simply starts breaking apart. Ducane has a full lifetime warranty, but not sure if Weber still fulfills the warranty since they bought Ducane.

Rod Sheridan
05-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Napoleon BBQ's, very popular in Canada, made in Canada except for a cheaper line sold through big stores.

I've had mine for 15 years, zero issues, very high quality stainless steel, great warranty.

Not sure if they're popular in the USA however it's another brand to consider............Regards, Rod.

http://www.napoleongrills.com/

Tom Fischer
05-09-2013, 10:28 AM
And then they [Weber] sent me a whole new lid and said it was a warranty issue.
Before the Weber we went through 2 cheap grills in about 4 years. Averaged out, the Weber has been LESS expensive than a cheap grill.

I had that experience with Weber too. I had some ignition problems, Genesisi Gold, three burner. So I was trying to order a new regulator from the internet ($20+). Wasn't sure which one to order, so I called them. They asked a few questions, then said "Don't worry, we'll send you one for free"
Turns out my problem was the Blue Rino propane tank was defective. And Big Wally took that back full refund.
Weber has great cust service.
And the Weber grill covers are nothing like the off brand stuff. Much better.

Biff Johnson
05-09-2013, 12:00 PM
The OP stated that he needed to run it off natural gas. If he really meant that, instead of propane gas, then he will have to get involved in the changing of orifice sizes and regulator adjustment.

If you have the money to spend and size is not an issue, consider looking at a used commercial grill. We installed one at the company I worked at for weekly bbq's for about $600. The grates were massive!

For a natural gas bbq you will probably have to go to a specialty bbq supplier which will equal more money than a box store. You may also look at the pellet feed grills, like Traeger.

If I had natural gas at my home, I would certainly tap into it for a bbq. I've done a few converstions from LP to natural gas and vice versa and it isn't too hard if you do your homework.

Steve Wurster
05-09-2013, 12:36 PM
We just bought a new Weber about a month ago and it was natural gas out of the box. Now we did go through a local store that sells grills (including the Big Green Egg), but I think the big box stores can sell them to you as well (might be a special order). All we had to do was have a plumber come out to run a line; there's no way I was going to do that myself.

Related story to Matt's is that our previous propane Weber had its lid blown off (during Hurricane Sandy). Pretty sure that wasn't covered by any warranty since it was a pretty old grill. Insurance got some low-ball quote for fixing the castings for that, but we knew we wanted a new natural gas grill anyway, so we just waited until the spring to buy it.

Gordon Eyre
05-09-2013, 12:43 PM
I have a Ducane and like it a lot.

Rick Potter
05-09-2013, 2:32 PM
Thanks guys,

Unbelievable but true................I was on the computer looking at BBQ's on Amazon a few minutes ago. My daughter, who lives with us walked by and I asked her if she liked the idea of me getting a grill. She hesitated, and I told her about the one I was looking at. More hesitation. Finally she let the cat out of the bag, and told me that our three kids, all adults in their forties, had already decided they were getting us one for Fathers Day.

Who knew? I never would have expected that, since the last Fathers Day gift I got involved plaster of Paris and hand prints.

We have lived in this house seven years, and have been without a grill that long.

Rick Potter

PS: About that natural gas....the Weber 310 on Amazon is natural gas, and costs $80 LESS than the propane version. At Costco, they have a nice Kitchen Aide that includes the kit for both. Natural gas heating is almost universal here in suburbia, and I installed an outdoor valve during a remodel, so I'm all set to go. Thanks again.

Oops, make that Sam's Club, not Costco. I just got back from a hot dog run.

Matt Meiser
05-09-2013, 2:37 PM
I wonder if that's because the NG version wouldn't need the scale and hanger parts that the propane version has for the tank. Also might not need a regulator since home nat. gas is already regulated to 7" WC

Craig Matheny
05-09-2013, 2:51 PM
Talking BBQ makes my mouth water I have had many BBQs all gas over the years and finally my wife said enough of the buy and toss BBQ's so the project started it took about 4 months start to finish. I now have a Turbo Elite all S/S BBQ burners grates all S/S 95K BTU I have a 28K Searing unit and a sink. The neat thing is I have always BBQed with using adolph marinade but talked to a bunch of competitors and they said seasoning salt and pepper and it was the best steak my wife said she ever ate.

Craig Matheny
05-09-2013, 2:52 PM
I wonder if that's because the NG version wouldn't need the scale and hanger parts that the propane version has for the tank. Also might not need a regulator since home nat. gas is already regulated to 7" WC NG still have a regulator on them for some reason remember with a NG you can not take it to other locations

Eric DeSilva
05-09-2013, 3:10 PM
Agreed--you can't just pipe an LP gas grill into a natural gas line... but it seems natural gas is an option for a lot of good grills. I should also note that having a grill piped into your gas line is fantastic; no half done steaks because your gas ran out.

And, just because gas grills are like woodworking equipment, I'll nominate the Festool-equivalent hybrid grill for your consideration: http://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/hybrid-fire-grill/. A 2' grill will run you $14K and the 4' grill over $20K!

Harley Reasons
05-09-2013, 3:24 PM
i've got a Ducane I purchase at the Big orange BORG store several years ago, gave $1000 for it. It hasn't been used in 5 yrs now, sits out on the back patio under its cover. Whenever i want to grill i use the Weber Kettle Gold, if I want to smoke a butt or baby back ribs I have the Weber Smoky Mountain. Both of the Webers are charcoal. My wife & I just like the flavor of meats grilled over charcoal vs. gas. I know gas is quicker, but with the charcoal I can enjoy a couple or four adult beverage made by Sam Adams.

Craig Matheny
05-09-2013, 3:27 PM
My wife & I just like the flavor of meats grilled over charcoal vs. gas. I know gas is quicker, but with the charcoal I can enjoy a couple or four adult beverage made by Sam Adams.
That is the beauty of having a 28k BTU searing unit you get great flavor off that unit and then toss it on the grill to finish off with a smoke box in it

Harley Reasons
05-09-2013, 3:43 PM
That is the beauty of having a 28k BTU searing unit you get great flavor off that unit and then toss it on the grill to finish off with a smoke box in it
Through the years I've tried about every type of qrill/cooker, I cooked on the KCBS circuit for a couple of years and am still a certified BBQ judge for Memphis in May (judged the big event in Memphis 4 times) and the KCBS circuit. Then I had a BBQ restaurant for 6 years. When my team, C. Mor Butts BBQ was on the circuit we used a Texas style smoker made by David Klose out of Houston, TX. It had an 8 ft long smoker area on it with 4 grate surfaces, the log burning firebox hung off the back. Then at the qjoint I had two Southern Pride Smokers, a 500 lb. and a 750 lb. unit. That was my first retirement job, it was fun until I had to dealing with employees, then it got to be too much like a real job. Now days, after my fourth retirement, I like to take my time grilling and no long drink beer for quantity but now for quality. There has been lots of improvements made to gas grills since the first ones appeared in the late 70's. I ordered my first one from Montgomery Ward catalog in 1977 if my memory serves me correct. I'll have to take a look see at the Weber gasser just in case I think I might ever want one.

Craig Matheny
05-09-2013, 3:52 PM
Harley so true

Harley Reasons
05-09-2013, 3:59 PM
Harley so true
btw, you need to add one item to your universal tool kit, a can of WD40, If it moves and isn't suppose to, use duct tape, if it doesn't move and is suppose to, get the WD40, when all else fails get the big hammer.:)

Craig Matheny
05-09-2013, 4:05 PM
Thats funny but I like to beat it to death keeps the frustration level down :D

Kevin Bourque
05-09-2013, 4:14 PM
I bought a no-name brand at Home Depot that is 2 grills in 1. The left side is propane and the right side is for charcoal. Basically 2 separate grills welded together. It's not a Weber by any stretch of the imagination, and if I was a serious barbequer I would probably throw it in the trash tomorrow, but I'm not amd it only cost me $199.

My friends who have Webers swear by them. They are expensive but they can last for decades.

Chris Padilla
05-09-2013, 5:04 PM
I'm another satisfied Weber grill owner. I have one that has a very small tank of propane that is expressly used to get the charcoal going. In the 12 or so years I've owned the grill, I think I've had to fill up that tank twice. :D I've only ever used charcoal for grills but I do have a NG line in my backyard that used to feed the pool heater (went solar with that) so y'all have me thinking a bit.... ;)

Rick Potter
05-09-2013, 6:14 PM
Lots of epicurean grillers here. Hate to admit it, but no one trusts me to BBQ more than burgers and dogs. I just ruin good meat. Luckily I have a son in law who can bail me out. Someday, I want to learn to do chicken without ruining it.

We have a friend who bbq's tacos. He even made a roaster to grill the chiles....looks like a ticket tumbler over a fire ring. They are really good, with avocados off the tree.

This will be my fourth bbq, and I want it to be my last.

Rick Potter

Patrick McCarthy
05-09-2013, 7:31 PM
We had an expensive ($800-900) Ducane NG unit for a numbr of years, and i replaced the grills or burners once . .then when it was time to do it again we just went and got a Weber Genisis (natural gas unit too) for approx 450 or so . . . . and the wife loved it from the start. Better results cooking and seems to be holding together 5-6 years in . . . .

If i were buying again i would be looking at another Weber . . . .

Larry Whitlow
05-10-2013, 3:02 AM
I have a three burner stainless steel CharBroil that I purchased from a local home center called YardBirds (that was then bought out by Home Depot). I think I paid $399 for it several years ago. I've had to replace the burners and the grate. The burners are ready for replacement again. The external stainless has held up well but the insides are starting to crumble. The igniter hasn't worked for a long time. I'll probably replace the burners and do some patching for another year before replacing the whole unit. I was looking at one of those specialty BBQ stores. Asked the guy what his $3,000 model had to offer compared to a $500 one at Home Depot. He couldn't come up with anything. I offered that maybe his unit had heavier gauge steel? More even heat? He said "sure". I'm sure it is better in many ways, but was kind of surprised that the salesman couldn't respond. Maybe he wasn't on commission. Or, maybe it isn't any better. I'll probably look at the Weber gas grills when the time comes.

Craig Matheny
05-10-2013, 9:34 AM
Larry there are many things the other BBQ has to offer such as double layer S/S on the lid for insulation heavier grates solid S/S burners or brass. If you think about it most of the units at the big hardware stores are not built ins but at the bbq stores their rolling models are the same as the built in units but have wheels and a base. I would suggest that you look at the difference in the units yourself and find the BBQ that meets your personal needs and wants. I personally would never buy another BBQ from a hardware store but that is because I have had both units. With that said if I was to buy a unit it would be a Weber as in my opinion they are built better than any of the other units that you can choose from at the hardware store. Good luck

Larry Gipson
05-10-2013, 5:32 PM
Sounds like you're actually looking for a grill rather than a bbq. A few years ago I ran into the smoker cult when I bought my Klose Backyard Chef. These guys get all offended if you say bbq when you mean a grill :-) .

I agree on lots of stuff :-). I have 2 Weber grills. One is propane and the other charcoal. We like the flavor of charcoal rather than the metal "flavor bars" on the propane. I suppose most of the flavor really is coming from burning fat, so it really shouldn't make a difference, but it sure seems to.

I also admire the green egg bbq since it really is an efficient device for smoking small amounts of brisket or whatever. I also like the http://www.komodokamado.com/ ceramic cookers as I've read the green eggs have a tendency to crack.

Or what the heck, just get a backyard chef and be done with it http://www.bbqpits.com/backyard_smokers/20x40_byc2012.htm Get the 1/2" steel firebox while you're at it.

Harley Reasons
05-10-2013, 5:53 PM
Or what the heck, just get a backyard chef and be done with it http://www.bbqpits.com/backyard_smokers/20x40_byc2012.htm Get the 1/2" steel firebox while you're at it.

Ole David Klose makes one heck of a smoker, they're on the upper scale of expensive but built quality is unreal. He has some Hispanic working for him that can lay down the prettiest welds i've ever seen.

Here is a picture of the Klose rig I had, I was setting up to cook at Teddy Gentry's 2004 Grazefest in Montgomery, AL Betsy the Smoker (http://www.flickr.com/photos/harley130/3675912988/)

Larry Gipson
05-11-2013, 1:15 AM
Hi Harley,

Yes, I'm really impressed with the welds on my smoker. It's truly amazing, but it's 1000lbs of steel. Mine's not on a trailer. The problem I have is that I bought the thinner steel firebox. There's no way to keep paint on it, so the game is to keep painting it with peanut oil until it looks like an old skillet. This doesn't really work, so the steel is ablative.

The fire door on mine is made with a pull out ash drawer. I'm planning on getting rid of this drawer and extending the door down as far as needed. Then I'll line the firebox with fire brick to the extent possible. I wish my door was set up like yours was on the trailer.

Have you tried the Klose rubs? I used them when I first got the smoker. No one died. Tasted fine :-)

Btw, I had no idea what this was when I bought it. I was busy on a project and I saw this sort of neat smoker on the internet. It seemed so much smaller in the little picture. Then they delivered it off the back of an 18 wheeler. I had to hire a wrecker to get it up my driveway (the driver laughed all the way up the driveway, then didn't charge me). Then I pushed it across the lawn on plywood by myself, moving the back piece of plywood to the front like building a pyramid. I should have known from the shipping bill that this was a 1000 lb smoker.

Regards,
Larry

Larry Whitlow
05-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Larry there are many things the other BBQ has to offer such as double layer S/S on the lid for insulation heavier grates solid S/S burners or brass. If you think about it most of the units at the big hardware stores are not built ins but at the bbq stores their rolling models are the same as the built in units but have wheels and a base. I would suggest that you look at the difference in the units yourself and find the BBQ that meets your personal needs and wants. I personally would never buy another BBQ from a hardware store but that is because I have had both units. With that said if I was to buy a unit it would be a Weber as in my opinion they are built better than any of the other units that you can choose from at the hardware store. Good luck

This is good to know. When the time comes I will take a harder look at the upscale models. I do enough grilling that paying extra for real peformance improvements is something I will consider. I purposely do not want a built-in, even though I have a "BBQ pavilion" so to speak. I just like the flexibility of a mobile unit.

For those purist out there, I know I'm not doing real "BBQ". I'm throwing stuff on the grill.:)

Rick Potter
05-13-2013, 11:44 AM
I wasn't aware that there is a difference between a BBQ and a grill, and a smoker is that pink pig shaped thing my son has. Guess I need to broaden my horizons a bit.

We have firmed up our requirements. We have decided that we should bite the bullet, and get a BBQ/grill that will be large enough to feed the kids and their families (that's 15 of us, plus other in-laws that show regularly). We haven't entertained much in the last 7 years because of working on our house, which they call Winchester House West. Not gettin' any younger and it's time to get back to the important things. This being said, we are ordering a Weber Summit S620. Big enough for our needs, without extra frills we won't use, and it should outlast us.

Thanks again folks, for all the advice.

Rick Potter

Gary Hodgin
05-13-2013, 2:08 PM
Rick,
I think the distinction between BBQ and grill is a regional thing for the most part. My BIL in Indianapolis refers to his BBQ and I want to know how his BBQ taste. He's talking about a metal object and I'm thinking about a type of food.

Around here BBQ is used in two ways. One is a cooking technique that involves low and slow and is done over wood or some combination of wood and charcoal. It's primarily done over an open pit or a smoker although it can be done over a grill but grills are designed for hot and fast.

A second use of BBQ is in reference to a type of food. If I tell my wife I'm picking up BBQ tonight she knows I'm getting pork (whole hog, whole shoulder, or part of a shoulder (Boston butt or picnic ham) cooked low and slow over wood or some combination of wood and charcoal. In Texas, my wife would expect beef brisket. Brisket has only been available around here within the last 20 years or so.

Where I grew up in the 50s and 60s, BBQ meant one thing: whole hog cooked over hickory in an open pit. That definition is a bit too narrow.

Shawn Christ
05-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Another vote for the Weber Genesis. Mine is 5 years old and I've only needed to replace the igniter. Buy Weber (should be available in natural gas if you need it) and never look back. If you don't like the price for new, look for a used unit -- parts are easy to find.

That said, I am quite jealous of Matt's customer service experience:

The year after I got mine it blew over in a wind storm and I called Weber to see about replacing the broken lid side... And then they sent me a whole new lid and said it was a warranty issue.

I am clearly not as lucky. My conversation went something like this:

Me: My grill is a little more than a year old, it blew over in a storm and both cabinet doors are badly dented. I want to see if that might be covered under warranty.
Them: No sir, I'm sorry we don't cover storm damage. But I can check to see how much the replacement parts might be.
Me: (darn) OK
Them: A stainless replacement door kit is $108+ shipping. Want me to place the order?
Me: (yikes) Uh, no thanks, I will pass.
Them: Can I help with anything else?
Me: (wanting something for my misfortune) Yes, the Weber logo on the lid is corroded and peeling (which it was). Can you replace that?
Them: Sure, no problem.

The inexpensive (but free) plastic Weber logo part arrived that same week. :(

Ole Anderson
05-13-2013, 11:03 PM
I bought the $400 Char-Broil "Commercial Series" 3 burner plus a side burner model from Lowe's 9 years ago. Funny, it has a tag on it that says "not for commercial use". Close to a lifetime warranty on all parts. It is a lower grade stainless steel as a magnet will stick, but it has brass burners and I have never done anything to them other than clean the holes. Igniter went out years ago. Went to a dedicated grill store and asked for a replacement and she handed me one of those butane matches. I replaced the stainless grate with porcelain coated cast iron 2 years ago. Have it plumbed to natural gas, only way to go unless you are a charcoal fan. personally I like the taste better with charcoal, wood is even better, but I prefer the convenience of gas. It gets used way more than if I had to build a fire each time I wanted to grill some meat. Lately we have been doing the chopped potatoes/onions/carrots in foil at least half the time we cook outside. I have a Weber Baby Q in the RV and I like it better than the Char-Broil. Probably go with a Weber next time, although I really can't complain about the longevity of the Char-Broil.

Maybe I will contact Char-Broil about the igniter and a bad door hinge and see if they will cover it.

Craig Matheny
05-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Rick,
I think the distinction between BBQ and grill is a regional thing for the most part. My BIL in Indianapolis refers to his BBQ and I want to know how his BBQ taste. He's talking about a metal object and I'm thinking about a type of food.

Around here BBQ is used in two ways. One is a cooking technique that involves low and slow and is done over wood or some combination of wood and charcoal. It's primarily done over an open pit or a smoker although it can be done over a grill but grills are designed for hot and fast.

A second use of BBQ is in reference to a type of food. If I tell my wife I'm picking up BBQ tonight she knows I'm getting pork (whole hog, whole shoulder, or part of a shoulder (Boston butt or picnic ham) cooked low and slow over wood or some combination of wood and charcoal. In Texas, my wife would expect beef brisket. Brisket has only been available around here within the last 20 years or so.

Where I grew up in the 50s and 60s, BBQ meant one thing: whole hog cooked over hickory in an open pit. That definition is a bit too narrow.

Rick looks like a nice grill I am sure you will not only enjoy it but get many years of great family get-togethers and grilling.

Larry Gipson
05-14-2013, 2:52 PM
we are ordering a Weber Summit S620.

Rick Potter

That's a nice looking grill and I know you'll be really happy with it. Great choice. These things are really convenient. Turn a knob and push a button.

I actually started out with a Weber propane grill, then bought the smoker on a whim. When I realized I could cook for something like 100 people, we built a covered patio for entertaining. Now we have sort of a bbq shrine :-) It's been fun, but one thing does lead to another. We got hooked on smoked food (red oak - no Hickory here).

Eventually, I got curious about propane vs charcoal for the grill so I bought a simple weber: http://www.weber.com/grills/series/one-touch/one-touch-gold-225

My wife was so impressed by the improved flavor, we haven't used propane in years. I guess we've gone full circle? Now we hunt briquette sales after holidays at home depot, etc. and buy in bulk. Smoker folks prefer lump charcoal for some reason. I've never tried it in the grill.

Btw, you might find a bbq organization in a state near you. I joined http://www.cbbqa.org when I first got the smoker just to figure out what to do with it. :-) The people are friendly and once they figure out you're not a competitor they're a great source of info. They drag these huge bbq's from meet to meet (state to state) just to win a blue ribbon. Brisket goes on around 11pm and they tend the fire all night. After a few hours, they'll foil the meat and continue to cook for a few hours more. Amazing really.

Brian Elfert
05-14-2013, 4:12 PM
I can't imagine paying over $1000 for a simple propane grill. I guess if you grill every night or entertain every weekend it might make sense. My parents have a Ducane that has cost them about $400 over close to 20 years. The only issue with it is the igniter is dead. They use it several times a week from spring until winter starts.

Ole Anderson
05-20-2013, 8:21 AM
I contacted Char-Broil about some warranty parts on my 9 year old grill. It has a 99 year warranty on most parts with a lifetime warranty on the brass burners. Because I hadn't registered it when purchased, I had to take a picture of the receipt which I had stapled to the instruction book, as well as pics of the damaged parts. Uploaded them on their website after an email and telephone exchange. Very friendly and cooperative rep on the phone. I told her I had replaced the grates on my own, she said too bad they would have sent me new grates. I ended up getting a new igniter, a replacement door, a burner brace and the front ss control panel where the paint had worn off the burner settings. She asked if I needed new burners or any other parts. It was like she was getting paid on the value of parts sent out. She called back minutes after I uploaded the photos to confirm the order, all I had to do was pay $8.95 shipping. They didn't even want the old parts back. Now that is good warranty service!

Rick Potter
05-20-2013, 5:08 PM
Ole,

That is great news, and certainly great customer service. Congratulations. Sounds like you have a winner.

Brian,

I agree it's a lot of money, but once the grown kids got into the deal, and now that our uber-remodel is almost done, and we can once again get the whole family here, as well as friends, the grill started growing in size and expense. We are fortunate in being able to afford it, and don't forget...this is a year round deal here in SoCal. For the last 7 years the family has been getting together at one of our kid's houses. They have a super grill, but no place to sit 15-20 people, so the whole family is ready for the location change.

Again, thanks to you all for the advice. BTW, I just got a call....the BBQ grill will be delivered tomorrow morning.

Rick Potter

Jim Becker
05-23-2013, 5:08 PM
I recently purchased a Webber Genesis E330 to replace an older Webber Genesis Silver grill that needed to finally be retired after many years of use and more than one refurbishment. The new one is many times the grill that the old one was...it that was a good grill in it's time, too. Yea, it wasn't inexpensive, but wow...does it provide cooking heat! The extra searing burning really kicks things up a notch and everything is built quite heavily. Totally satisfied...

Neal Daughtry
05-23-2013, 5:30 PM
Those who like charcoal grilling should check out the Portable Kitchen http://www.pkgrills.com/index.php I have one that was handed down to me from my parents. It was purchased in the early 1960's and has seen a lot of use. I clean it about once a year and it looks almost new. It is made from cast aluminum and you can use it as a grill or smoker. Last grill you'll ever have to buy and it won't break the bank.