PDA

View Full Version : Pen finishes

Dave Dionne
05-16-2005, 9:00 AM
Just wondering what everybody uses for pen finishes, after not being ably to turn for about 3 months due to surgery the Doc said it is okay to get back to pens and other small items, (he understands he has made 6 complete croquet sets, balls and all) some of the guys at my local woodcraft told me to switch to Mylands, I have always used huts Crystal coat.

Any opinions? What kind of results I can get out of Mylands compared to Hut? Do I have to use a sealer first if I want a glossy finish? Which gives the best finish quickest? Which is more user friendly?

Thanks Dave

Jeff Sudmeier
05-16-2005, 9:04 AM
I have always used a CA glue and BLO finish or a spray on acrylic made by krylon.

Robert Cox
05-16-2005, 3:24 PM
I've only ever used Mylands Friction Polish.

Seems fine to me, but I am a rank amateur.

Gary Max
05-16-2005, 5:15 PM
This aint going to help a bit---I use both depending on the kind of wood.--Heck if the pen is being a real pain I will use a coat of Mylands---let it set for 10 minutes then use Hut as a top coat.

Harry Goodwin
05-16-2005, 6:22 PM
I'm no expert except that works for me. I coat them with CA glue and then general tripple E and Shelliwax. When color is a problem and I want a light finish the Mylands sealer and then Mylands polish work great & keeps good color . Tried Beulens (whatever) the other day and it worked OK. Time will tell which is better. The tripple E and shelliwax does turn gray which can be overcome in darker woods but is difficult on light colors. Harry

RL Johnson
05-16-2005, 7:17 PM
I like the Mylands versus the Hut Crystal. The HUT seems to me to have more waxes and stays softer and need to cool longer before it can be handled. But I would say that whatever you use that you are happy with, is what you should be using. If none of your customers are complaining, then don't sweat it.