PDA

View Full Version : Wooden records cut on the laser

Joe Hillmann
05-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Here is a link to someone who used a laser to make a wooden record. At the bottom you can play the video to here the record. It is pretty distorted but i am sure if you knew the song it would be recognizable. I doubt it it of any piratical value but it is neat.

wireddotcom/design/2013/05/laser-cut-record/

And this one is cut on acrylic. It isn't any better sound quality than the wood and way less cool.

Lee DeRaud
05-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Now all I need is a CorelDraw file for a laser-cut wooden turntable...

Bruce Boone
05-08-2013, 8:50 PM
I'm interested in trying a tiny metal version, more in the spirit of the Edison cylinders.

Joe Hillmann
05-08-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm interested in trying a tiny metal version, more in the spirit of the Edison cylinders.

That would be really cool to engrave the wave form of wedding vows on the outside of a ring. The customers wouldn't be able to play it but it would still be pretty cool.

Glen Monaghan
05-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Back in the days of Apple II's, I used the audio tape recorder storage to "read in" a voice recording, essentially doing a 1-bit A/D conversion, and then played out the surprisingly understandable 1 bit digital recording through the Apple's speaker which was binary driven (output of a flip flop, simply by 1's and 0's - speaker cone in, cone out).

So, last fall when I was toying with a zip tie, running my fingernail along the ridges I started thinking it would be fun to do a mechanical equivalent... engrave a short message ("hello", "I love you", "Happy Birthday", etc.) as a series of bumps on a strip of plastic. I'm thinking you could "play back" the message the same way I made a tone from the zip tie - by running a thumbnail, popcicle stick, guitar pick, or similar lightly down the strip.

Never tried it because I didn't make time to research how to do the conversion to digital and then to narrow strips of black and white for engraving (or even gray scale and use 3D engraving). Now all I have to do is learn enough python to rip the guts out of this code and make a straight vice spiraling strip!

Dan Hintz
05-09-2013, 6:26 AM
So, last fall when I was toying with a zip tie, running my fingernail along the ridges I started thinking it would be fun to do a mechanical equivalent... engrave a short message ("hello", "I love you", "Happy Birthday", etc.) as a series of bumps on a strip of plastic. I'm thinking you could "play back" the message the same way I made a tone from the zip tie - by running a thumbnail, popcicle stick, guitar pick, or similar lightly down the strip.

I had several when I was a young kid... short messages, horrible audio quality, but understandable. If memory serves, it looked like a Zip-tie and was played with your fingernail...

Bruce Boone
05-09-2013, 9:20 AM
The idea would be to have it playable. The cylinder would somehow roll on a turntable with the aid of some fixture, and the stylus would pick up the sound. It would indeed sound rough, but maybe recognizable.

Glen Monaghan
05-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Guess I won't be patenting that then ;^)

Bruce Hoffman
05-11-2013, 12:49 AM
If they could do this with a road, one of you surely do it on a piece of plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLNfN6-eA0g

and even more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_road

Just have to figure out laser equivalents of Botts dots.

Bill Cunningham
05-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Some of the stuff Kids listen to today might even sound 'better' on a wooden disk..Hmmm Now I'm sounding like 'my' father :cool: