PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
05-16-2005, 8:56 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. Boy, they sure seem to come and go fast any more.

I worked on the Hutch / entertainment center Friday night and Sunday night. It's getting close to being done. YEA!!!! Worked all day Saturday at a local food kitchen / mission to repair a rotted floor area, rip out two walls to give them more space for food storage. Oh yea, I also had to patch a hole in the roof where we removed an old vent / stack pipe. Did I happen to mention that I don't like to do roofing!!!????!!!! :rolleyes:

It's back to work today.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-16-2005, 9:03 AM
I had a pretty good weekend. Had graduations on Friday night and all day saturday. Was a couple of fun parties!

Sunday was LOML and I's first anniversary, so we spent the day together. I cooked her breakfast in bed. We went for a little ride in the afternoon and then ate supper off the grill. A great day for us!

I did manage to get in some shop time, but not too much.

Frank Pellow
05-16-2005, 9:08 AM
Reduced the number of piles of construction debris in our back yard from 11 down to 6.

Repaired two holes at the eve of our roof where critters had gnawed their way into the attic. This autumn, I am going to remove the shingles, put metal around the entire perimeter, then re-shingle the roof.

Finished a mobile cabinet for my Festool sanding tools and related items (see thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20251 )

Kelly C. Hanna
05-16-2005, 9:09 AM
Sounds like you had wayyy too much fun Dennis! You just touched on two things I hate doing more than anything else in teh world except sheetrocking. ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

I put together my new bandsaw, finished getting the workcenter organized, went to look at a house in Terrell, Texas (a 1904 house in the historic district that's only had 2 owners), decided we wanted it and dragged out all the paperwork we need to get started to buying it....I was busy!!

Jim Becker
05-16-2005, 9:27 AM
Well...I guess I could have got more done, but this was a "lazy" weekend, as in getting up late both days after spending the week in Miami on business. From a woodworking standpoint, I got the feet on my bench (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20261)as the first part of building a tool cabinet between it's legs and built a "screw house (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20283)". Did a little shopping with Dr. SMWBO, ate some fine meals off the grill, mowed the lawn including a little weed-whacking around the mailbox and trees and learned how to operate my new travel camera (http://www.nikondigital.com/main.html?page=s1) that I aquired with AMEX points. Sure wish the weekend was about three weeks longer... ;)

Ed Lang
05-16-2005, 9:30 AM
Saturday was SMC swapmeet. Had lots of fun and got too much sun. Sunday was moving stuff in the house and boy I feel it today! No shop time except for a quick check to make sure it was still there.

Great weekend!

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 9:39 AM
I finsished up a project for my MIL on saturday and then spent alot of the day yesterday cleaning up the mess i made doing it:D also worked outside cleaning up the pool and helped the LOML with a new garden bed she needed. So all in all it was a great weekend!!

Kevin Arceneaux
05-16-2005, 9:55 AM
I actually had a chance to do some woodworking. It has beeeeennnn way to long since I had a chance. To much redoing the yard, we ripped out a lot of old stuf f that was just not either doing that well or required more time than we had to keep them up. I finally got the glueups I did for my son's nightstand cut to size and marked where all the dado's will go. I also got the wood together to make a TV stand for the bedroom. We helped stimulate the economy by spending the tax refund on a bigger TV for the family room and the BOSS wants the old TV moved to the bedroom. Of course the stand we have is for a small TV and will not hold the 20" one, so darn it :) I have to make one. I plan on getting it cut during the evenings this week.

Effie Lever
05-16-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm looking to make one and I wander what did you use for the counter top?

Scott Coffelt
05-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Friday was shot, we had 4 house showing s and thought we were to get an offer on one, based off realtor feedback, but no. Saturday was spent doing yard work, painting some outside fix ups (I hate rotten wood) and then interupted for another showing though this one was a phantom (they didn't show). So I took the boy up to Cabela's for awhile and looked at stuff animals and stuff.

Sunday, was shop time, I made great progress on the Powder vanity. I should have it wrapped up this week and ready for storage. Then off to another cabinet.

Matt Meiser
05-16-2005, 10:21 AM
My weekend started early--since I was gone through Saturday the previous week and was out of town overnight (and two very long days) again last week, I decided to arrange my work schedule to give me the day off on Friday. Spent the better part of the day getting my new planer picked up and placed in the shop. Friday evening LOML and I went out to dinner and checked out the newly redesigned mall near us. Saturday, our local woodworking club had a shop tour where we visited 2 other shops (including one with a full sawmill) and mine. We had a good time and all learned a lot. That evening I got the wiring and dust collection completed for the planer. I also cleaned up and planed a piece of the recovered wood my dad gave from the floor of their garage which is a 150 year old barn. Parts of the floor had deteriorated where they were touching the modern concrete foundation and they had to replace them with pressure treated lumber. Since only the ends were rotten he gave them to me. The first peice was quartersawn oak (not sure if its red or white!) I need to clean up and plane more to see what I've got. We've already discussed a new bed if there is enough of the same species. Sunday was spent with church, grocery shopping, and family activities. Overall a very good weekend.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-16-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm on call this week and as such am somewhat limited in what I can do and start to do. As SWMBO has demanded the oak buffet be completed by the 1st week in June, taping and mudding the new shop is on hold until mid-June. As such I cleaned the eyesore on the carport and moved the building materials into the new shop. Continued finishing the oak sideboard. Sunday....all outdoor activities limited due to rain. While our total moisture for a year is 12" and we are in the 8th year of a severe drought...the last 2 weeks we've probably received over 3 inches of rain. Down town areas have flooded a couple of times in the last 2 weeks.

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm looking to make one and I wander what did you use for the counter top?

The plans called for 28ga stainless wrapped around 1/2" ply, but I could not find the stainless local and used a slightly heavier aluminum. I think it would be worth while to find the 28ga SS as it would wrap neater. I think if I build one for my wife i will consider cedar with a outdoor varnish, as that would make it go much quicker IMO. tok me a few hours to work with the metal.

Bob Nieman
05-16-2005, 2:08 PM
Friday was spent car shopping (but not buying) with my daughter who graduates from high school this weekend. Nothing under 10K (used), even with hail discounts. Saturday I started early and counted birds as part of the North American Migration Count. Had to stop early and become Scout Master and camp out. We got 2" of rain and lots and lots of lightning throughout the night. Living in the desert, this doesn't happen very often. Fortunately we had a building we could escape to (or at least the wimps like me, as I had no tent). The adrenaline crazed noise monkeys kept me up most of the night, but we still had a good time. Ate well (always). Parents picked up their sleep deprived offspring, wadded the sodden belongings in the back of the car and went home. Needless to say I slept most of the day. I have some woodworking I really wanted to do before family descends for graduation, but it didn't happen.Oh, but I did discover on Friday that the local non-borgling lumber store has lots of hardwood--oak, maple, birch, ash, red cedar. Used to have mahogany (phillipine), walnut and cherry. When I had asked before, I was shown a small assortment of useless cutoffs. I have no idea why they kept it a secret, but now I know, and don't have to drive 600 miles for a maple board anymore!

Fred Voorhees
05-16-2005, 2:27 PM
I usually have positive stuff to report here on the Creekers Weekend Update. This past weekend was surely a downer! My dad suffered a massive heart attack last Wednesday afternoon and due to having suffered a lack of oxegon for nearly a half hour, his brain swelled and kept him in a coma. Doctors had kind of gotten us into some hope that things would be ok, though the half hour denial of oxegon had me concerned as all get out about any hope. Friday night he took a turn for the worse and all hope was pretty much thrown out the window. Per his wishes stated to my mom long ago....she had him taken off of life support Saturday. Myself and my three brothers, as well as our wives were all there and said our good-byes and supported our mom. God, I would have never guessed how hard it could be to finally walk out of his ICU room and out of the hospital - knowing that you will never see him again! I know that I will be haunted by the image of him laying in that ICU room bed for a long time. It's buggin' me pretty good.

One thing that is kind of consoling is the fact that my mom donated whatever organs they could harvest and in fact, she got a call late Saturday that it just so happens that a 24 year old girl right here in the Delaware Valley who was down to her final days, was able to take my Dad's liver and she will now hopefully live much longer due to my Dad's untimely death.

Frank Pellow
05-16-2005, 2:38 PM
My condolences on the death of your Dad Fred. It is good that, in leaving, he has already helped someone.

Silas Smith
05-16-2005, 2:42 PM
Fred, my condolences on your father's passing. I think it is a wonderful testiment to your family's character to think of others during this time. My wife and I have an understanding that if one of us goes, donate everything possible to help others. I think that you will find comfort in the fact that you father enable another to live a productive life with their family.

David Fried
05-16-2005, 2:44 PM
Fred, I'm so sorry. Those of us who have lost parent know how bad it feels. My Dad used to pick me up at the airport and I still get teary when I get off a plane and he's not there. Hang in there. It's tough a time but it does get better. Take care of mom and yourself.

I got a the interior work done on the clock I'm making (March's project) so the dial/mechanism can be inserted after the body is finished. Next, to glue up the body!

Started making a replacement window for one that is rotting away upstairs. Took most of Saturday for me to figure out how to route the stile, cope the rail, and get the mortise and tenon to fit together but I did get one cormer completed. That right, one! :rolleyes: The old window has four panes but the new one will have nine. Oh boy, more mortises and tenons. Love my chisels but I'm seriously considering a machine. :eek:

Had some tools in the garage so I could use them over the winter. Moved the last of them, the jointer and belt/disk sander up to the shop. This week I'll be reorganizing so I can move around easier!

Now that the garage is empty I started to frame it out into bedrooms for the boys. They have been sharing a bedroom and that is getting old - fast. Also, my daughter is coming back for the summer so I will have a real bedroom shortage!

Matt Meiser
05-16-2005, 3:05 PM
Fred, sorry to hear about your father. It is wonderful that he had chosen to give the gift of life to others and made his wishes known to his family.

Scott Coffelt
05-16-2005, 3:06 PM
Sorry to hear Fred. My prayers to you and your family. It's a good thing your mom did, adn in some way your dad can coninue to live in this place as well as his next.

When my time comes, its only a gift that I too hope I can give.

Tyler Howell
05-16-2005, 4:48 PM
Sorry for your loss Fred.

Pretty quiet, wet, and unproductive.

Steve Knowlton
05-16-2005, 5:06 PM
Fred, My Sincere And Deepest Prayers Are With You And Your Family. I Had The Same Experience 4 Years Ago With My Father. We Sat By His Bed Until The Very End. Time Does Help The Hurt But I Still Miss Him Alot. When I Fell Down I Go To My Shop And Do Woodturning. Your Mom Was Awesome To Donate Organs To Help Others. My Dads Eyes Were The Only Organ The Used. So In A Snese Your Dad Lives On. God Bless
I Did Get In Some Turning This Weekend As It Was Our Monthly Club Meeting. We Built Stamp Holders.

Chip Olson
05-16-2005, 5:09 PM
My concolences, Fred. My father turns 80 in a month, so I'm going to have to go through that sometime in the not-distant-enough future. :-(

It occurs to me I've never actually introduced myself. I'm a returning woodworker in the Boston area-- been interested in getting back into it for a number of years, but only recently have I been in in a place (both physical and financial) where I could make it happen. Then we bought a house with a couple of semi-finished rooms in the basement and a crappy kitchen that desperately needed new cabinets (correction: desperately needed cabinets, old or new). Well than. Turned one of the basement rooms into the World's Smallest Woodshop (12'x9', and I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to fit a jointer and bandsaw in here with the table saw and drill press), and starting turning 3/4" cherry into sawdust, noise and face frames. Then we had a baby, and the project slowed down somewhat. :-)

Currently I'm dealing with a backlog of shop organization issues-- just finished an incredibly ugly storage cabinet, and put up lumber racks. The small one (4 months) was sick this weekend, and I was helping a friend move, so the only thing I managed to get done in the shop was cut a door to size for my downstairs neighbor's sewing room that's next to the shop (we and another couple bought this 2-family house together and then condoized it). Hopefully I'll get it hung next weekend. This is in part a neighborly harmony project; don't want to get sawdust in her quilting projects.

Richard Wolf
05-16-2005, 5:18 PM
Fred, there is never the right words to say at this time in your life. Just take all the memories with you forever.

Chip, welcome to the Creek, I've seen some great things come for small workshops.

Richard

Kevin Arceneaux
05-16-2005, 10:19 PM
My Family's and my thoughts are with your Fred.

Not really a good week. Found out a very good freind has prostate cancer and they gave him 6-7 months.

John Hart
05-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Fred, I'd like to voice my sympathies to you and your family. I've not had to go through that yet and I dread the day. I wish my best in your efforts to get through it.

Jerry Olexa
05-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Fred I'm sorry for your loss. I still can remember the details of the day I lost my Dad. He was a man I truly respected and loved. "His shoes are hard to fill". I'm sure its the same in your case. His impact on your/other's lives will be felt for a long time. Our best wishes and prayers.

Norman Hitt
05-17-2005, 3:51 AM
Fred, My Deepest sympathies to you on the loss of your Dad. I lost mine in '77, and still miss him, but at least, I have years and years of wonderful memories, as he was one of the Best. It's Great that some part of your Dad is still living and helping others.

Didn't get much done this weekend, as we got all the rain, thunder and lightning that Bob Nieman didn't get over in N.M., then working on a drawer today the speed control, (I'm pretty sure), started acting up and then quit completely on the router in my router table, what a bummer. Now tonight, I can't get into the website for Hitachi Service Centers. Looks like mr Murphy is Baaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Karl Laustrup
05-17-2005, 6:46 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Fred. Be sure and support your mom during this time.

It is good to know that your dad has helped someone else to achieve their dreams and for that your family should be proud.

My weekend was spent preparing for a garage sale next weekend. We have accumulated 20+ years of stuff that we will, one way or another, get rid of this weekend. We are trying to break the pack rat habit.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-17-2005, 8:43 AM
Nice potting bench Tim!!

Kelly C. Hanna
05-17-2005, 8:45 AM
Very Sorry to hear that Fred. I lost my mother in a very similar way in 2000 (she refused to go through cancer treatment). It's the toughest thing in the world and I'll never forget what I saw either. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dan Forman
05-17-2005, 3:45 PM
Fred---So sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. How fortunate though, that he and your mom had that discussion, and that his wishes about life support were known. At least you don't have to second guess that, small consolation that it is. It's good to know that he will provide the gift of life for another.

I lost my mother this past fall. The grief process takes time, the pain softens, but it still hardly seems possible that she will not be there next visit. I wish you peace.

Dan