PDA

View Full Version : First Guitar

Andrew Gibson
05-07-2013, 9:05 PM
Well I've not been around the creek much lately but I just had to come share this build. I have been learning about Instruments and working on my 70 c10 and absorbing as much knowledge as possible on the small block Chevy I can. This is my first guitar. I have been building Ukuleles now for about 2 years and have more then 30 of them under my belt, but it was time to take the pledge so that people would stop asking me when I was going to make a guitar... A good friend of my wife and I asked me to build it for her husband... The guitar is a Small Jumbo made of Camphor with a Sitka Spruce top rosewood fingerboard and bridge and mahogany neck... all but the spruce is local lumber that I had a hand in milling... well the Mahogany was Trim that was torn out of a wells fargo.

Kent Parker
05-07-2013, 9:28 PM
Beautiful work Andrew ! Love the moustache bridge : )

Cheers,

Kent

Andrew Gibson
05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks, I guess its something in the name... I always liked the Gibson styles headstock and moustache bridge, so I sat down and drew up my own play on the bridge... I am very happy with the way the bridge turned out... I think the headstock needs to be slimed down a bit, but I am happy with the way it came out for a first time... I think I modified my uke headstock 6 times before I made 2 the same... I now have 2 uke headstocks, one for friction pegs and one for geared tuners.

george wilson
05-08-2013, 12:00 PM
That looks like very neat craftsmanship. The headstock could be a bit narrower,and the wedge at the tail end of the guitar is usually widest at the top side.

How's the tone?

John Coloccia
05-08-2013, 1:11 PM
That looks very nice, Andrew. You did what 99% of people that build their first guitar never do....finish :)

the wedge at the tail end of the guitar is usually widest at the top side.

I did that on my very first one too :)

Andrew Gibson
05-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Thank you guys. George, thanks for the input. I have plans to narrow down the headstock a bit already. I had not noticed the Wedge going to other way on most guitars until you mentioned it. I typically put them this way on my ukes, I could never decide which way I liked it better. I am very happy with the tone for a first. Intonation is spot on and the harmonics are very nice as well... the other strings seem to ring harmonics when you play a note. I will see of I can get someone to play it for me and post up a sound sample... I'm not much of a Player, but I do love building them... I have always wanted to know how they went together...

Chris Padilla
05-14-2013, 4:30 PM
Excellent work!

george wilson
05-19-2013, 4:48 PM
Since the top is the most important part on a guitar(it's where the tone is generated),the wedge should "point" towards it. Some builders used the wedge as a way to drive the sides tighter against the mold before gluing in the tail block. I think (I know) the sides should fit perfectly without being forced. It forever causes unwanted stress on the vibrating surfaces. I haven't used a wedge for many years,but it could just be a decorative element rather than its original purpose.