PDA

View Full Version : Made a Wood Haul yesterday:)

Andy London
05-16-2005, 8:32 AM
Long day, 4 hours each way to this supplier. I was picking up wood for my flat work but also purchased a vaneer grade Birdseye Maple Log, it's 15" across the butt on one end and 12" on the other, less than 5% heart so it should make beautiful bowls.

The other boards are Birdseye Maple, Curly Birdseye Maple, Birdseye Birch, Curly soft maple and Curly yellow birch...fun but expensive day:)

Andy

http://www.picframer.ca/1958.jpg
http://www.picframer.ca/BElognoheart.jpg
http://www.picframer.ca/May151.jpg
http://www.picframer.ca/stash1.jpg
http://www.picframer.ca/stash3.jpg

Mark Singer
05-16-2005, 8:34 AM
Very inspirational......it starting to look a little like Nakashima in there......contemplate each piece or years and then ....with time ....start to make something:p

Jeff Sudmeier
05-16-2005, 8:45 AM
Great looking haul and collection you have there Andy!

Congrats!

Ted Shrader
05-16-2005, 8:55 AM
Andy -

Quite a haul you made. Some very interesting pieces. Will make the deliberations tough to determine which part of each piece to use.

Regards,
Ted

Martin Shupe
05-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Long day, 4 hours each way to this supplier. I was picking up wood for my flat work but also purchased a vaneer grade Birdseye Maple Log, it's 15" across the butt on one end and 12" on the other, less than 5% heart so it should make beautiful bowls.

The other boards are Birdseye Maple, Curly Birdseye Maple, Birdseye Birch, Curly soft maple and Curly yellow birch...fun but expensive day:)

Bowls? :eek: You bought a veneer log, and you are going to make bowls? I would make shaker side tables, tabletops, and drawer fronts. Oh well, to each his own! ;)

Andy, you're making me envious with all that awesome wood, but I am still planning on trying to get up there late summer. (Hopefully!)

Andy London
05-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Bowls? :eek: You bought a veneer log, and you are going to make bowls? I would make shaker side tables, tabletops, and drawer fronts. Oh well, to each his own! ;)

Andy, you're making me envious with all that awesome wood, but I am still planning on trying to get up there late summer. (Hopefully!)

I need to turn some large deep salad bowls, a vaneer log is the only way to do it as I do not want any heartwood. As for furniture projects, I have about 1,800 board feet of birdseye at home, piled everywhere:) He had about 20,000 feet of birdseye at his barn.

He offered me clear maple, all KD, yesterday for fifty cents a BF, I could not believe it but I guess there isn't a big market for it at the moment. He was telling me that pallet wood is sold for four cents a board foot....he agreed with me that it costs more than that to saw it.

He had a lift of 400 feet or Cherry Birch which I also bought, it is going to the kiln today and I would have it in two weeks or so. I use this in place of Cherry which has gone through the roof here in $$$....looks almost exactly the same but is a harder wood and will not burl like cherry does.

Looking forward to your trip here this summer, quite a few folks visiting from wood forums which is great.

He just received a contract for baseball bat blanks....many of them are curly hard maple :eek: I ordered some for turning vases but I have so much turning wood that I have to stop...so says the boss:)...unless I build a storage shed...speaking of which I am considering a shipping container, you know you can get those for about $600.00 delivered...smoking deal I think.

Vaneer Birdseye has quite a pricetag, this log was 9' 6", I cut it into 4 pieces due to the weight....still almost 150 pounds++ each....These logs are going from $650 to $1,100 at the moment.

Andy

Martin Shupe
05-16-2005, 10:26 AM
20,000 bd ft of birdseye!!!!

I guess you know where to find some more when you run out of your stash. :D

OK, I understand about the veneer log now, you're forgiven if you promise to show us some of those beautiful bowls you will make.

Fred LeBail
05-16-2005, 4:40 PM
Well Andy, I know from experience that 4 hrs will put you in my area. I hope you are not in my" back yard" taking all the good wood home. Kidding of course but if you were up this way I am sure you would share your wood source with another Creeker. Congrats on the wood haul. And can't wait to see some of those larger bowls.

Andy London
05-16-2005, 5:40 PM
Well Andy, I know from experience that 4 hrs will put you in my area. I hope you are not in my" back yard" taking all the good wood home. Kidding of course but if you were up this way I am sure you would share your wood source with another Creeker. Congrats on the wood haul. And can't wait to see some of those larger bowls.

No Fred, I was in the Cape Breton Highlands. I do get over your way from time to time, I'm from the other side of the province originally (Perth-Andover) and my family is still there so I used to take the Renose highway. My family has a 1,200 acre hardwood lot over near Plaster Rock that has 80% Sugar Maple but it's too far to haul....lots of birdseye on it though. I do cut some Sumac and some bruls when I go up.

Half my firewood arrived last week and there are a few small logs with birdseye, perhaps big enough for small projects but some really good sized curly maple...my son has been pulling the good logs. I have found some amazing woods when they deliver my firewood logs.

I was approached on Saturday at a craft show here in Halifax by a gentleman, he is from Doaktown New Brunswick, he has 800 feet of what he said was curly Birdseye, he made me an offer I could not refuse so I am headed there this coming weekend....will have to borrow my neighbours tandum trailer for that haul......just need more storage space:)

You must know Leonard Landry, Birdseye Man from over you way, He has tons of birdseye and I have been there a number of times http://www.ceibathurst.com/birdseye/bol.htm
I find the guys over on the north shore of N.B. are asking crazy orices for the birdseye, I am glad they are getting it, if they are but it's way out of my range.

John Hart
05-16-2005, 5:43 PM
When it rains, it pours eh? Great haul(s) Andy!

Andy London
05-16-2005, 5:50 PM
When it rains, it pours eh? Great haul(s) Andy!
I tell my wife everyone collects something, I collect wood :D

We had a real tough winter snow wise and my firewood was buried so deep at one point I could not get to it so I ordered a cord from a fellow I know. No word of a lie, 90% of it was curly hard maple.....I could not believe my eyes but it was already split and would have been too much work to cut blanks from.

There must be something about this area, although I have studied wood for most of my life I have no idea why we have so much birdseye and curly woods.

Here is a treat for those who like figured wood, I bought 60 feet of Birdseye Birch, it's in the bottom image, the top image is birdseye maple just to show the difference. I didn't even know it existed until a year ago so now I watch for it.

John Hart
05-16-2005, 5:53 PM
Wow, that's nice! how thick are the slabs?

Andy London
05-16-2005, 5:58 PM
Wow, that's nice! how thick are the slabs?

I have no idea why the guy did this but he cut most of it it 6/4. I will resaw this and use it for flat work, he did cut two 2 X 6 planks, closer to 2 1/4", I have been making lidded bowls with the thick stuff and small craft projects with the boards.
http://www.picframer.ca/curlybirdseyebirch2.jpg

John Hart
05-16-2005, 6:54 PM
That's beautiful Andy. Somehow, I gotta get that good. Someday...maybe

Andy London
05-16-2005, 7:45 PM
That's beautiful Andy. Somehow, I gotta get that good. Someday...maybe

Those are easy bud, come on over and we will turn a few and I'll send you away with some interesting wood!

I had two WW's from Ohio visit us two falls ago, felt bad for them, the weather was perfect until the night before they were to leave, Hurricane Juan hit, worst on record....they stayed for an extra two weeks and helped me clean up, went to leave and the transmission blew in their new truck...man what a way to end a vacation but I sure enhoyed and appreciated having them here, as did the kids!!

John Hart
05-16-2005, 8:02 PM
I'd hate for you to give up part of your "collection"....but since you insist....:)

My kids would love the trip too!

Andy London
05-16-2005, 8:24 PM
I'd hate for you to give up part of your "collection"....but since you insist....:)

My kids would love the trip too!

They would have a blast here if they like the water! Our subdivision has a private beach, we are also on the lake, the ocean is a 15 min walk, ATV trails galore, great for mountain biking.....I am not much of a golfer but there are two championship courses 10 min from the house.

Unless you bring a 5 ton truck you won't be able to put much of a dent in my collection:) Actually I don't really collect, I just have far too much but I can't seem to pass up an interesting piece of wood or a deal. Wife says it can't be a deal if you keep finding all this wood :( My thought is people just like selling it to me :D

Andy

Fred LeBail
05-16-2005, 8:37 PM
I have never met Mr. Landry but I have visited his web site. I will have to drop by to see him on my next visit to Bathurst.Thanks for the reminder.

Andy London
05-16-2005, 8:47 PM
I have never met Mr. Landry but I have visited his web site. I will have to drop by to see him on my next visit to Bathurst.Thanks for the reminder.

Oh boy are you in for a treat! Leonard has more inventory and rough turned pieces than I have ever seen. He must have a very understanding wife as I would guess he has at east 2,000 pieces in the house drying, 2 huge sheds full and then there is his stash!

If you do head up that way and go over to Campbelton, let me know. There is a turner buddy Silvo...the stuff he turns is breath taking, especially his segmented work....one of those must see workshops. Then if you go that far, I have a buddy that is a burl collector not far from Sylvio but towards Grand Falls, I would guess he has 3 to 4 thousand burls from the size of your fist to the size of a small car. He stores them in two old potatoe barns which is a shame in a way as I suspect they will rot in time.