PDA

View Full Version : Kapex Initial Impressions...

Derek Arita
05-07-2013, 6:05 PM
I'm sure similar threads have been posted about the Festool Kapex, but I thought I'd go ahead with this thread just in case someone wants to hear from a recent purchaser. Anyhow, my old miter saw was a Makita LS1212. That was a great saw and I had it adjusted to cut as close to perfect 90* as I could measure with my Starrets. I moved up to the Kapex for better dust collection and to get dual lasers. A side benefit will be a smaller footprint with the Kapex.
When I put the Kapex thru it's paces I found that the 90* cuts and the lasers were slightly off and needed adjustment. I adjusted the fence and now the Kapex cuts as well as my Makita ever did. As for the lasers, I'm holding off on their adjustment because I need to learn more about how it's done. I own other Festools and am always surprised that the factory adjustments are often not dead on. I guess I expect them to hold to their reputation, more than the reality of mass produced power tools.
As far as I'm concerned, my old Makita LS1212 cuts just as cleanly and accurately as the Kapex, as measured with Starret precision squares. With a Festool vac connected to both, I noticed only slightly better dust collection with the Kapex. I think the dual lasers and the smaller footprint, for me, tip the scales in favor of the Kapex. I'm not in love the Kapex yet, but ask me in about 6 months and who knows...Cupid could strike. Thanks for looking.

Victor Robinson
05-07-2013, 7:43 PM
I'd have to agree that there are saws out there that cut just as cleanly and accurately as the Kapex for half the price.

The Kapex starts to be a better option if:
1) you will transport the saw frequently, esp. if you will use it indoors at job sites (lightweight and good dc)
2) you want as quiet of a miter saw as possible
3) you intend to place the saw against a wall and don't have room for a typical slider

For me items 2 and 3 were the main factors. Beyond those, a few features of the saw make it very enjoyable to use. For me, those are the precise dual lasers and the excellent hold-down.

Every time I look at my saw I wonder if I'm staring at about $600 I could have put to better use. Then I realize it was the only saw that met ALL my requirements. There are a few tool purchases that I just love, where I feel the tool was worth every penny spent and then some. This comes close, but not quite in that category for me. This is probably because for most of what I make, a miter saw is a luxury. I've done several trim projects around the house, but not enough (yet) to endear me fully to the saw. I can fully understand how the Kapex would be a trim/finish carpenter's best friend.

Matt Meiser
05-07-2013, 9:30 PM
I had a 1212 and the dust collection difference was HUGE. What hose are you using? I have half a 36mm hose I bought off someone else. The orange Ridgid hose Home Depot sells will work too and can be shortened. A 27mm hose isn't good at all and the difference between a full and half hose is pretty big.

I'm talking the difference between having to clean the entire garage with a leaf blower and having the sweep up a small circle under the saw.

Alan Lightstone
05-07-2013, 9:44 PM
I had a 1212 and the dust collection difference was HUGE. What hose are you using? I have half a 36mm hose I bought off someone else. The orange Ridgid hose Home Depot sells will work too and can be shortened. A 27mm hose isn't good at all and the difference between a full and half hose is pretty big.

I'm talking the difference between having to clean the entire garage with a leaf blower and having the sweep up a small circle under the saw.

+1. I couldn't believe how big a difference the 36mm hose made.

Derek Arita
05-07-2013, 9:53 PM
I've been using the 36mm hose on the Makita and the Kapex. It worked really well on the Makita.