PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck

Mark J Bachler
05-16-2005, 8:07 AM
Last Friday the company I worked for shut down. No warning, just let all 75 of us go & locked the doors. I have seen this coming for some time but I didn't expect it quite this soon. Two years ago I started building my own shop. I've been working part time out of my shop for about a year now. I am so glad that I had the foresight to get the ball rolling when I did. New Knapp Designs will now be my full time job & pretty much my life. Good new is I'm finally on my own & I have never been more ready, bad news is my time in the creek will be reduced. I'm going to set some morning coffee time to check up on you all when I can. Just thought I'd let ya all know what's up, didn't want anybody worrying about the ticker. I am fine & very excited about the whole situation. Gotta go spray sealer now. Keep me posted.

Take Care

Mark Bachler
New Knapp Designs
3545 N. New Knapp Rd.
Shell Lake, Wi. 54871
715-468-2973

lou sansone
05-16-2005, 8:14 AM
best wishes ... sometimes good things come our way disguised as trouble

lou

Frank Pellow
05-16-2005, 8:15 AM
All the best Mark!

About the shut down. It happened to me twice; but, looking back on it now, each time it forced me to make a move which worked out for the better. I trust that this will be the case for you too.

Michael Gabbay
05-16-2005, 8:18 AM
When life gives you lemons.... go into woodworking! ;)

Good luck with the business. From what I've seen around the Washington DC area there is great potential. Especially if you hook up with a few local builders and do custom cabinetry.
Mike

Rich Konopka
05-16-2005, 8:23 AM
Good Luck Mark !! I couldn't tell you how many times I seen someones misfortune in losing thier job turned into a fortune as they found an even better job or opportunity.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-16-2005, 8:26 AM
Mark, Good luck with your new opportunity! You have the correct frame of mind for this journey! You have been given a great opportunity to make a living at the hobby you love.

Keep in touch!

Tyler Howell
05-16-2005, 8:43 AM
Go Get Em Mark. Make us proud!:cool:

Mark Singer
05-16-2005, 8:43 AM
Mark,

I had a similar experience about 32 years ago......it was the best thing that ever happened to me! Just do your own thing and enjoy it....it all starts with love of what your doing....that is the common thread in all master crafstmen

Jim Becker
05-16-2005, 8:53 AM
Mark, I wish you all the best! I also suspect you'll do just fine, especially since you've more or less been planning for this for some time. And you keep us posted!

Ted Shrader
05-16-2005, 8:58 AM
Mark -

Best of luck on your new endeavor. You were very fortunate with your instincts and have a jump on the new business. Those instincts will serve you well again.

Ted

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 9:33 AM
I can sympathise with your situation, as MY job was also eliminated 2 weeks ago. I don't have the skills needed to hang out a shingle for woodworking jobs, and to be honest i am not quite sure what i am going to do. But I can tell you that after working for the past 12 years in a job that I loved, but for a boss that I hated...whatever I do it will be something that I want to do instead of something I just do for the paycheck. in the short term I am going to try and take on some paying work involving woodworking...but more importantly I am going to try and refocus my life (trying to avoid saying.."find myself") as well as work around the house on things i have been ignoring for years.

So go get em!!!! And good luck!!!!!:D

Frank Pellow
05-16-2005, 9:43 AM
Sorry about the job Tim! :( Good luck to you, as well. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-16-2005, 9:44 AM
Go for it Mark! With your skills and attitude you'll make it. Do get to the Creek once in a while and let us know how things are going. We'll one day want to say.......we knew Mark when he was just starting out......Good Luck!

larry merlau
05-16-2005, 10:01 AM
i too can understand your plight, i havent lost mine yet, but the ship is sinkin we went from a 15 person shop to 3 in the last 3 years. so i too have gotten things rollin, with an idea of having something to fall back on.. and like the other's have said, it quite often works out for the best. this will be my second sinking ship so i know where the life rafts are and can still swim... good luck jim and enjoy your new job..

Effie Lever
Good Luck Mark, I'll look for New Knapp Designs when I'm in the neighborhood.

Jason Tuinstra
Mark, I hope everything works out for you. Stay in touch as much as you can.

John Miliunas
05-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey Mark, you're a bona-fide Cheesehead!:) That alone is a confidence builder! Put on top of it the facts that you're intelligent, have some great equipment and the skills, talent and dedication to use that equipment. You'll be fine, I just KNOW it!:) :cool:

Mark J Bachler
05-16-2005, 1:46 PM
Thanks so much for the vote of confidence everybody, I really appreciate it. Oops lunch is over I gotta get back to work before the boss gets mad.

Dale Rodabaugh
05-16-2005, 3:44 PM
GOOD LUCK Mark,sounds like you are making the best of the situation.I had the same thing happen to me in my mid 50s.For me things turned out for the better,course I had to work at it.Now I can look back and say it was the best thing that ever happened to me,next to meeting my wife.hope you can say that someday.

Keith Outten
05-16-2005, 4:34 PM
Mark and Tim,

Whenever one door closes another opens up, all we have to do is open our eyes and look for new opportunities.

Good Luck!

Alan Turner
05-16-2005, 5:13 PM
Mark,
Best of luck, and may your new venture be successful!

John Hart
05-16-2005, 5:40 PM
Best of luck to you Mark....Most times, with the right attitude, this is the best of times. And it sounds like you got it screwed on right.

Jerry Olexa
05-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Mark: Two positive things here: 1. You recognized a trend and planned ahead and 2. I believe out of adversity usually comes better things. It happened in my business years and with several of my associates. You'll do fine. Continue to stay in contact w the forum. And be patient...My best wishes

Robby Phelps
05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
I echo what Tyler says GO GET EM!!! And keep us posted on your progress.

Ian Barley
05-17-2005, 3:24 AM
I wish you good fortune Mark. Just remember that you are now in the woodworking business and that the business word is at least as important as the woodowrking word.

Karl Laustrup
05-17-2005, 6:59 AM
Wishing you well, Mark. I'm sure everything will turn out OK. It's just going to take some time, sweat, and yes, even some tears.

Remember, if you get down this way, give a holler and we'll try to get together. I am on the beaten path. :eek: :D

Karl