PDA

View Full Version : Checking Software?

Brad Adams
05-07-2013, 1:23 PM
I've been using Quicken 2010 for my checking software, but it would no longer allow me to use the online features. I have always manually imported OFX files from my bank into Quicken. The new 2013 version won't allow me to import OFX files, and since my bank doesn't support Quicken, I am out of luck. What can you guys recommend for a checking account software. That is all I use it for, to keep track of my checking account. Importing OFX files is important to me. Let me know what you are using.

Larry Browning
05-07-2013, 1:41 PM
I used to use Microsoft Money before I just started using my bank's online banking services. I find it is much less time consuming and I have access to my accounts from anywhere. I know I don't have all the fancy features I had with MS Money, but I find I really don't need it anyway. I think MS dropped Money support a few years ago. Sorry I couldn't help, but you might consider looking into what online services you bank offers before dismissing the idea.
Also, checkout this website (http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-personal-finance-software.htm) for some free options.

Brad Adams
05-07-2013, 5:51 PM
Has anyone used the YNAB software? It looks like a good budgeting software also.

Jerry Thompson
05-07-2013, 6:05 PM
I use my Credit Union program and have never had a problem.

Harley Reasons
05-07-2013, 6:50 PM
I also used to us Quicken to maintain my checking/savings account, however, with the advent of the online banking found it was redundant work to download and enter the additional information. Plus, it was only accessible on my one desktop computer. I use my Credit Union's online banking and have everything setup by expense groups to keep track of what I've spent for what. I utilize the online payment system with everything I can so I don't have to remember to send a payment for things. Automation can set you free.

Brian Kerley
05-07-2013, 7:22 PM
I use GnuCash for tracking everything. I believe it supports OFX files.

And, to synchronize across machines, I just store the files in a dropbox folder....

Chris Padilla
05-07-2013, 7:54 PM
Threaten your bank to improve their services to the 21st century...or at least ask them.

Brian Elfert
05-07-2013, 8:03 PM
One of the credit unions I bank with does have some sort of online banking program that can access other accounts, but it doesn't seem to be as full featured as Quicken. I'm also a little reluctant to keep my financial information out on the cloud, but I also realize that my information is already on the bank's online system anyhow.

I keep using Quicken for now as I have so many accounts to track. I automatically download transactions from all but one or two of my accounts. I liked Microsoft Money better in many ways, but Microsoft discontinued support for online banking back in 2009 or 2010.

Lee Schierer
05-09-2013, 8:11 PM
I've been using Quicken 2010 for my checking software, but it would no longer allow me to use the online features. I have always manually imported OFX files from my bank into Quicken. The new 2013 version won't allow me to import OFX files, and since my bank doesn't support Quicken, I am out of luck. What can you guys recommend for a checking account software. That is all I use it for, to keep track of my checking account. Importing OFX files is important to me. Let me know what you are using.

I also had to upgrade Quicken. Apparently we don't own the software, we merely rent it. They can turn off features when they want to, forcing you to purchase updated versions. Their policy seems to be to turn off features every 2-3 years. I'm not happy, but I don't want to start over with another program.

I just looked at my Quicken 2013 and it says it can import a QFX file. Click on "File" then "File Import" then select "Import QFX"

Harley Reasons
05-09-2013, 9:39 PM
Quicken needs to do what Adobe has done, just go to a subscription model and be done with it. I used to use the Quicken for Business and the upgrade always seemed to hit just before tax time. And once they pulled your plug you could no longer do payroll. Easier just to pay them a monthly rental and get updates as they're rolled out.

Brian Elfert
05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
I also had to upgrade Quicken. Apparently we don't own the software, we merely rent it. They can turn off features when they want to, forcing you to purchase updated versions. Their policy seems to be to turn off features every 2-3 years. I'm not happy, but I don't want to start over with another program.

I just looked at my Quicken 2013 and it says it can import a QFX file. Click on "File" then "File Import" then select "Import QFX"

The OP is looking to import OFX files, not QFX files. You're not forced to upgrade unless you want to keep doing downloads of your financial transactions. I personally don't want to manually enter everything so I upgrade.

Curt Harms
05-10-2013, 9:37 AM
GnuCash. http://www.gnucash.org/

I've never used it but people at a forum I frequent do use it and seem happy with it. It's sort of like Quickbooks lite I gather. It does recognize a few import file formats

QIF/OFX/HBCI Import, Transaction Matching]
It doesn't have to be 'rented' and features will not be disabled at the publisher's whim.

Here's another says it will import OFX and QIF. It might be closer to a Quicken replacement. I know nothing about it.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jgnash/index.php?title=Main_Page

In both cases you can download, install and try without restriction. If you don't like 'em, delete and no$, no harm no foul. If you do keep one, it's good form to donate a bit to the developer.

Lee Schierer
05-10-2013, 10:38 PM
The OP is looking to import OFX files, not QFX files. You're not forced to upgrade unless you want to keep doing downloads of your financial transactions. I personally don't want to manually enter everything so I upgrade.

My Bad, I didn't see that it was an O instead of a Q. However Quicken says it can import OFX files.

" Intuit wants you to have the best possible download experience. Intuit supports the transition to OFX because OFX connectivity offers an easier, quicker setup and download than QIF. With OFX download:

There is no need for manual account setup. Quicken goes online first to set up all the accounts you have at that financial institution.
Quicken provides financial institution-specific instructions to get your user ID and PIN.
Quicken automatically sets up your account with an opening balance. There is no need to use paper statements.
Quicken automatically downloads and categorizes your data in the background.
In most cases, the date range for new transactions is selected automatically.
The financial institution and Quicken accounts are automatically linked after the first download session.
Customer support is available.
Quicken will automatically start when you begin an OFX Web Connect session."

Brian Elfert
05-11-2013, 1:40 AM
Quicken 2013 won't import OFX files for regular checking and savings accounts. I know it doesn't work as I tried to import a OFX to a checking account recently with Quicken 2013.

Tom Fischer
05-11-2013, 8:53 AM
Threaten your bank to improve their services to the 21st century...or at least ask them.

We use Bank of America checking.
I pay most of the bills online, free wire transfers (ACH payments).
Just have to keep $750/month min balance, or incur $12 charge.
One of the only bills I can't pay online is our town property tax, probably because if they switched to online deposits, the lady whose job is to deposit the checks at the bank wouldn't have anything to do.
The BOA bill payer pages have setups for Automatic payments, and reminders, probably a lot of other stuff.

If you keep a $10K balance at BOA, checks and deposit slips are free too.
Another good thing about BOA is they have a huge retail network. Hard to go someplace in the U.S. where there is no BOA.

Along with the BOA secure web pages, I keep an EXCEL spreadsheet of all the transactions, annual file. Double check the bank. :D

Don Jarvie
05-11-2013, 9:50 PM
BOA also lets you send checks also. We have checks for those one off items.