PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Lid stay torsion hinge

mark laub
05-07-2013, 1:14 PM
Has any one used Rockler lid stay hinges? I am building a coffin for a friend of mine, and I don't want to use a lid stay. I read the reviews and they seem o.k. I ordered 3-60 inch pound hinges, as per their calculator. The coffin sides are 13/16" thick. I would also like the lid to over hang 1/4" with no mortise if possible,are there any problems with these that I might be warned about?
Thanks
Mark

Tom Matthews
05-07-2013, 1:43 PM
I used these last year on a toy chest I built - I think it was about 36x18 inches, out of cherry with a lid that overhung so it was larger than that. I used their calculator and ended up with two hinges, but I don't remember what size rating they were.

They worked well, be careful with the hardware and drill pilot holes. I had pilot holes but managed to twist one screw off.

They don't require a mortise but I think if I used them again I would try to mortise them in. There is about an 1/8" gap due to the hardware otherwise.

Gene Waara
05-08-2013, 12:29 PM
I also used them on a toybox for my granddaughter. The box had an overhang and they were attached to 3/4'' birch ply. They are pricey but work great. Absolutely no chance of pinching fingers. The calculator worked correctly for me.

Jack Lemley
05-08-2013, 7:57 PM
Has any one used Rockler lid stay hinges? I am building a coffin for a friend of mine, and I don't want to use a lid stay. I read the reviews and they seem o.k. I ordered 3-60 inch pound hinges, as per their calculator. The coffin sides are 13/16" thick. I would also like the lid to over hang 1/4" with no mortise if possible,are there any problems with these that I might be warned about?
Thanks
Mark

The sides where the hinge mounts has to be 3/4". I used them on my daughter's blanket chest earlier this year.

Jack

Robert Chapman
05-08-2013, 8:46 PM
They are pricey but work really well - except for the screws that come with them - they are soft junk.

Jim Rimmer
05-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I used them on a blanket chest and they worked fine.