PDA

View Full Version : It's true, there really is a

larry merlau
05-16-2005, 7:32 AM
there really is a donnie raines, and his hospitalty is every bit as good as the wonderfull wood he seems to always have.. and yes its every bit as good as the pictures, actually its better than the pictures. so i was able to meet him and see some of the goods.. had a very nice visit. thanks for the navigation don and we made it back safly.. see ya again sometime

Donnie Raines
05-16-2005, 8:07 AM
Good to meet you to Larry. Sorry we were unable to make the visit a bit longer....but so is life.

Glad you made it home safely and I am sure that new toy has found a place in the shop.... :cool: ;)

Dennis Peacock
05-16-2005, 8:59 AM
Meeting fellow woodworkers is always cool. Hugh Larry?!!!! ;) Glad ya'll got to meet and get to visit in person.

Jim Becker
05-16-2005, 9:06 AM
Yea, Donnie's on my "list" should I manage to navigate to Ohio...'glad you had a nice visit, Larry!

larry merlau
05-16-2005, 9:14 AM
Meeting fellow woodworkers is always cool. Hugh Larry?!!!! ;) Glad ya'll got to meet and get to visit in person.
yeah it sure is,, but the best part is finding out that there are people out there still, that are genuinely friendly. and as for lists goes jim ,,i agree with your travling you do that its gonna be a good visit when it happens..
and mr Peacock your on my list, just dont know when i am gettin south again fer awhile.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-16-2005, 9:52 AM
Larry...Larry.....Larry......Donnie.....Donnie.... .Donnie......You both know the drill.......No photos....No Gloat! :( :rolleyes: :D Glad you guys got meet each other live and had a good time!

Donnie Raines
05-16-2005, 10:29 AM
I no....no pix...it did'nt really happen.... :rolleyes:

I thought about the photo shortly after he left....go figure.

Donnie Raines
05-16-2005, 10:31 AM
By the way Larry, thanks for the "gift". We started talking and I forgot all about it. Now, all I need is a good tip on how to prepare this stuff....I have eaten it but never cooked... :cool:

Joe Tonich
05-16-2005, 1:15 PM
Your right, Larry. :D I met Donnie last year picking up some curly maple, a real nice guy. He does have some nice lumber, and knowledge also. :D He also picked out some real nice burls that I bought, sight unseen, that my sister picked up for me. I always enjoy meeting other woodworkers! :D

Joe

Donnie Raines
05-16-2005, 1:22 PM
Your right, Larry. :D I met Donnie last year picking up some curly maple, a real nice guy. He does have some nice lumber, and knowledge also. :D He also picked out some real nice burls that I bought, sight unseen, that my sister picked up for me. I always enjoy meeting other woodworkers! :D

Joe

I was wondering what you thought about those burls(could not recall if you had told me or not). I hope that they worked out for you and your project. You never truely no on things like that....you vision your project one way and the lumber may not be exactly what you had in mind.

I hope you post some pix of those boxes too!! :cool:

larry merlau
05-16-2005, 1:41 PM

Joe
hey joe that explains it.. that was why he wasnt afraid of meetin a redneck lookin fellar like me, he already had met you, and and must have gotten immune to us.. you got more fur than me:)

Joe Tonich
05-16-2005, 1:44 PM
I was wondering what you thought about those burls(could not recall if you had told me or not). I hope that they worked out for you and your project. You never truely no on things like that....you vision your project one way and the lumber may not be exactly what you had in mind.

I hope you post some pix of those boxes too!! :cool:

This was made by all "Donnie" wood! :cool: :D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?postid=160471#poststop

Joe

Joe Tonich
05-16-2005, 1:45 PM
hey joe that explains it.. that was why he wasnt afraid of meetin a redneck lookin fellar like me, he already had met you, and and must have gotten immune to us.. you got more fur than me:)

:eek: :p :D :D :D :D

Donnie Raines
05-16-2005, 1:54 PM
This was made by all "Donnie" wood! :cool: :D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?postid=160471#poststop

Joe

Awesome Joe!!! Not sure how I missed that one, but man is that nice!

John Miliunas
05-16-2005, 3:14 PM
Well, FWIW, the folks who have responded thus far to this thread are also on MY "short list" of Creekers to Meet!:) Sounds like you guys had a good time. Don't think Donnie would let me into his shop, or at least, near his wood stash; The MC would go up dramatically from all my drool....:rolleyes: :) :cool:

larry merlau
05-17-2005, 7:28 AM
Well, FWIW, the folks who have responded thus far to this thread are also on MY "short list" of Creekers to Meet!:) Sounds like you guys had a good time. Don't think Donnie would let me into his shop, or at least, near his wood stash; The MC would go up dramatically from all my drool....:rolleyes: :) :cool:

well john you wont have to worry about the MC he doesnt have it there long enough to collect any :) its like angle dust. you very rarely see it and then when you do its gone. by the way wisconsin is due for picnic this summer right? jeff said that you were gonna have one and the pic police (tyler) agreed. seein as how bill had to cancel you can have that spot this year :D

Chris Rolke
05-17-2005, 8:07 AM
wow i feel lucky

donnie is only 4-5 miles from me and your right he is a great person

i have also met up with bill grumbine on a trip through PA another great person

hmmm both wood workers and great people. coincidence???

naaahhhhh

John Miliunas
05-17-2005, 8:20 AM
Chris, couldn't agree more!:) WW's are just generally, a SUPER bunch of folks! Much more can be said, but after all, I'd just be preachin' to the choir!:D

Boy, I sure do wish that Donnie guy had some more USPS-able lengths like the Curly I got from him last Winter! Wow, what beautiful stuff! Chris, you're lucky to have such a source close at hand!!!:) :cool:

Joe Tonich
05-17-2005, 9:31 AM

Hey John,

We may be camping around there next summer, I heard the Dell's a great place to go! :D We're already booked for Alabama, Tennessee, and Arkansas this summer. :cool: :D Woodworkers are right up there with fishermen, great people to meet up with! ;) :D

Joe

John Miliunas
05-17-2005, 9:41 AM
Hey John,

We may be camping around there next summer, I heard the Dell's a great place to go! :D We're already booked for Alabama, Tennessee, and Arkansas this summer. :cool: :D Woodworkers are right up there with fishermen, great people to meet up with! ;) :D

Joe

Joe, the Dells area is really beautiful, though a bit too commercialized. OTOH, if you guys enjoy waterparks, that is THE place to be! :) Lots of great camping in the area, though! If you do plan a stop through this neck 'o the woods, give me a yell! We're under an hour away from the Dells!:) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
05-17-2005, 10:06 AM
yeah it sure is,, but the best part is finding out that there are people out there still, that are genuinely friendly. and as for lists goes jim ,,i agree with your travling you do that its gonna be a good visit when it happens..
and mr Peacock your on my list, just dont know when i am gettin south again fer awhile.

Well Larry.....Jest don't make it too long before ya'll come and see us. If'en ya'll come in the fall, then ya'll can visit the Ozarks and see all the purdy colors and eat some real kuntry cookin'. 'round these parts, we like to feed folks pretty good ya know. ;) :D

John Branam
05-17-2005, 1:01 PM
Donnie is a very helpful guy indeed. He was able to give some contacts for tools that are tested in the cincinnati area. Donnie are you a Cincy woodworking club member?

Donnie Raines
05-17-2005, 1:05 PM
Hi John,

No I am not. Not becuase I don't want to be...I simply have never been able to fully mesh my schedule with theirs...mettings etc. I have attended some meetings as a guest and have attended some other events throughout the years.

larry merlau
05-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Well Larry.....Jest don't make it too long before ya'll come and see us. If'en ya'll come in the fall, then ya'll can visit the Ozarks and see all the purdy colors and eat some real kuntry cookin'. 'round these parts, we like to feed folks pretty good ya know. ;) :D

well dennis/ i already know about the feed bags you folks put on, been in mississippi a few times huntin and fishn and almost went over to arky ville. got some kin in missouri and saw the ozarks when i was younger, but i got another fellar over in that state Misouri ( looks like he's a realative too??) that is on my list of got 2's so will definatly keep it under my hat till i can get fre again..beside i need my knife sharpened its gettin closer to huntin season and i need to survive ya know :D