PDA

View Full Version : How do I strip this wax?

Frederick Skelly
05-06-2013, 9:53 PM
Hi guys. I have a table finished in water based polyurethane. I had rubbed it out and waxed it. I had to touch up a leg and set it table top down on a piece of rubber like shelf liner for a couple days The liner left a waffle pattern melted into the poly finish. Obviously an incompatible material. I cant seem to rub it out or adequately sand it so I want to strip the wax and lay on another coat of water based poly.

Will I be able to strip that wax by rubbing the surface with mineral spirits before sanding? Or should I use something else?

Thank you!

Rich Engelhardt
05-07-2013, 6:26 AM
Mineral spirits will work - but -I prefer to use Napatha instead.
Mineral spirits can leave a slight oily residue that Napatha doesn't.

Howard Acheson
05-07-2013, 11:20 AM
I think you may find that the "waffle" pattern goes into the finish, not just into the wax. Many plastics off-gas or otherwise react with the chemicals in finishes.

Mineral spirits will remove a wax easily. However, use a fresh face on your wiper for each stroke or you will just be smearing the wax around. If after removing the wax you still see the pattern, you will have to use a chemical paint stripper and redo the finish.

Frederick Skelly
05-07-2013, 7:28 PM
Thanks guys. Ill get naptha. The waffle definitely got below the wax, as you suspected. Im going to strip the wax, then sand out the waffle, then add a new coat of finish. If I have to go through a lot of the finish to get there, Ill put on extra coats to be sure its sealed properly.

John TenEyck
05-08-2013, 2:37 PM
The waffle pattern problem probably came from the plasticizers in the plastic/rubber. Once you get it cleaned up I would sand it lightly with 220 or 320 grit, vacuum it off and wipe it with Naptha. If the waffle pattern is invisible right after the Naptha wipe, but comes back after the Naptha dries, I would put a coat of finish on it rather than stripping it. It may look just fine after you get a coat of finish on it. But if the waffle pattern is still visible while it's wet with the Naptha, I'd strip it first.

John

Frederick Skelly
05-08-2013, 6:41 PM
Thanks John!