PDA

View Full Version : Finial/Vessel Interface Question

Glen Blanchard
05-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Let's see if I can word this question in such a way that others can understand what the heck I'm asking.

How do folks typically shape the opening of a vessel when it is to interface with (and support) a finial such as in the photo below? The way I see it, it could be done with the opening of the vessel being tapered - as in a "V" and the finial having the mating configuration. The other way it could be done is if the vessel opening has a recessed shoulder and the finial sits in that shoulder. Although I have employed the shoulder technique, I have never attempted the taper. The primary issue with using a shoulder as I see it is that it requires a thicker wall in the area of the opening than I would imagine is needed with a taper. OTOH, it seems to me that creating mating surfaces with the same taper would be more difficult than merely milling in a shoulder, but perhaps I am wrong. How are folks dealing with this?

(I hope this makes sense.)

Dennis Ford
05-06-2013, 1:13 PM
I use an internal shoulder to support finials. I believe a taper would work well for glued in finials but that movement from humidity changes would be a problem for loose finials. Another option is to thread the finial and the opening, this is more trouble but I intend to do more this way in the future. Loose finials tend to fall and get broken.

Steve bellinger
05-06-2013, 1:16 PM
Glen makes sense to me. i've never done one with a taper,but i can see that it would work. I've always done mine with the shoulder like the one in your pic. Might just have to try one with a taper, just to see how i like it.

Mike Peace
05-06-2013, 1:31 PM
I started threading HFs. I somethimes use a 45 degree taper on hollow globe ornaments because it allows for easy matching of finials with a matching taper. this allows making multiple globes and finials and doing a mix and match because the globe holds and finials and caps are made to the same size, 5/8".

Glen Blanchard
05-06-2013, 1:51 PM
Yeah, after attending a Mike Mahoney demo, I have recently gained some interest in threading them. This looks like an interesting option.

http://threadingjig.com/

Thom Sturgill
05-06-2013, 7:10 PM
I believe threading is fairly common when the HF is intended to be a cremation urn (human or pet). Thats a skill I have yet to attempt, but have every intention of learning. So far I have done shoulders if it is to be removed and tapers only when glued in. I have used tapers for bottom hollowing.