PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-06-2013, 8:36 AM
6 May 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
The oil cleanup is still going on not too awfully far from me and as we passed by there yesterday, they were still hauling out of bad soil and bringing in new soil. Who knows how long this will continue, but at least it gives everyone passing by on I-40 something to gawk at as they go to and from work. :)

This was "senior" weekend at our church and it was all about honoring the high school seniors who are graduating this month. Last night was a senior night with picture boards of all the seniors and all kinds of sweets for them to eat. It was fun to see all the baby pics and funny family pics of each senior as they grew into adults.

The temps here have been much cooler than normal and I am also glad that the rain has stopped for now.
2 more weeks and it will be the official graduation of Joseph, son #2. I am so proud of him.!!!!

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend.??

Best of weeks to you all.

Rod Sheridan
05-06-2013, 8:49 AM
Hi Dennis, well I picked up my new bike, an F700GS from the dealership.

I also travelled to Virginia to work this week.

Regards, Rod.

Matt Meiser
05-06-2013, 9:05 AM
Not much here. It looks like I had a pretty bad gallbladder attack about 3AM Thursday so I got a bad start to the weekend visiting the doctor and going for blood work (twice) and an ultrasound. Talking to the doctor and reading, it looks like this has been going on for some time but I've been ignoring it thinking it was needing to lose weight and eat better. Friday night was really bad but Saturday was pretty decent, though I took it easy. I did plant two new bushes we picked up to replace 2 that didn't survive the drought last summer and I messed around with some plumbing for a poly tank and pump I bought to build a watering rig for stuff in our yard that's further out than we can take a hose--new trees, and such. My dad's 70th birthday is today so both of his brothers came to visit for a few days. One uncle, LOML, and I went to a flea market yesterday morning which was mostly a bust--I just got a nice classic round plug in clock for the shop and old 2qt oil can with a flexible spout to use servicing lawn and garden equipment since funnels don't work well on at least 2 things. I'd ordered a new one that was even US-made but it was a piece of junk and went back. Then we spent the rest of the day hanging out at my parents'. In the evening I was left home alone while LOML and LOMLjr went to see Carrie Underwood--LOMLjr got the tickets for Christmas so its been a long wait for her. I ended up just catching up on work-work that didn't get done late last week and getting a jump start on this week since I don't know what its going to hold.

Robert McNaull
05-06-2013, 9:50 AM
Haven't hardly got any time in the workshop since January when our first little one arrived and started taking two classes so it felt rather relaxing to hang out in the shop saturday night. Set up sort of a sharpening station this weekend and worked on lapping a bunch of used chisels I bought a while back. Took a bunch of time as the last owner sharpened them on a grinder and decided remove the burr on the backside with a grinder I believe after sharpening the bevel. I also sharpened my No. 18 Stanley hand plane, my first hand plane sharpening job which turned out ok, it made clean shavings so it seems alright. Still don't have all the chisels lapped but my two classes for the semester wrap up this week and look forward to spending more time in the workshop.

Alden Miller
05-06-2013, 11:23 AM
I started restoring my jointer that was in my shop fire last year. The tables don't appear to be warped (I checked them). I was able to have the motor rebuilt, it only needed new bearings. Now to clean up the rust, get a new cutter head and bearings and start using it again.

-Alden

Michael Dunn
05-06-2013, 11:49 AM
I repaired a Roland JX-10 keyboard. The last analog synthesizer Roland ever made. Then I repaired a Washburn 12 string acoustic with a bolt on neck. The action was crazy high and absolutely unplayable. For those non guit-fiddle players, action refers to the distance between he bottom of the strings and the top of the fret. Measurements are commonly taken from either the 12th fret or the 24th fret. Anyway, lowering the bridge was out of the question since its an acoustic. Shimming the bridge side of the neck pocket was also out of the question since the action at the 12th fret was almost .200". For reference a well built and properly setup guitar should be around .080"-.100" at the 12th fret. This varies with technique and personal preference.

So I opted to pitch the nut side of the neck pocket. This would mean that, if laying flat on a bench top, after the repair the headstock of the guitar would be about .120" closer to the bench top. I took a few pics. I had to cobble together a flat surface to route upon and I used two pieces of 1/2" MDF and some .050" ABS laminate to raise the bridge side of the MDF rails. This would then allow me to reference off the bridge side of the neck pocket with a flush trim router bit and safely and accurately route the pocket on a downward pitch.

Here's some pics... It took 3 attempts before I felt the guitar was playable. In between each attempt I strung up the low E string and tuned to pitch. With the neck dead straight (as in truss rod adjustment type straight not neck pocket pitch...) I can estimate where it will be with full string tension when all 12 strings are tune to pitch.

Very satisfying repair.

Friday night and Saturday night I ran sound for my friends mothers B-Day and cousins (respectively) in between I had a massive internal debate as to which of the 4 18" BS deals I should jump on. All year there have been no BS ' in my price in my area. Saturday I had 4 total out of nowhere. Rikon 10-340 it is. Almost to TN now!!!

Sunday I BBQ'd for lunch AND dinner and played in a church league softball game. I went 1-3 with 4 RBI's... We lost 14-8. We ended on a positive note though.

Art Mulder
05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Hi Dennis, well I picked up my new bike, an F700GS from the dealership.

I look forward to seeing a new Avatar photo... :D

Not a whole lot ww'ing this weekend, but I did help my 9 year old with mounting some new/old trucks onto the skateboard deck that he had refinished at a skateboard camp last summer. He enjoyed it. It's tough to force myself to let him do things himself, but I'm working on it! ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Friday I replaced the toilet in our basement bathroom. I kept running into problems and had to go back for more parts. Typical procedure for any plumbing problems for me. I did get it installed and working.

Saturday, I cleaned up my mess and hauled the old toilet out. I also did some test staining trying to determine how to finish my soon to be completed router station. Then I ditched across the length of our home on the south side to install sprinklers in that flower bed.

Sunday, I recuperated.

This morning....back to the sprinkler system.

Michael Dunn
05-06-2013, 12:11 PM

It's tough to force myself to let him do things himself, but I'm working on it! ;)

Oh man!!! I hear ya on that!!! I'm terrible with that!!!

Jeremy Hamaker
05-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I had a long weekend, recovering from a minor medical procedure. I did however dig out a couple pieces of wood I had lying around, and bandsaw them into round bowl blanks. A big maple blank about 14", and a couple black walnut blanks, about 6" and 4". I sealed up the ends and am letting them dry some more.

Shawn Pixley
05-06-2013, 1:26 PM
Last week was tough and it ended with the wildfire here creating so much smoke and ash that we sent everyone home. I would be on call if anything got worse so a stayed close to home. Saturday was a dog park morning. Afterwards, I worked on some inlay on a box I am making. It takes about an hour per piece. I got a massage in the afternoon and that made me ache. It will better in the long run.

Sunday, we went to the local flea market. I didn't expect to find anything. I ended up with two planes - a #4 & #5, both type 11. The #4 was all orginal and in excellent shape as bought except someone had put on a tall knob. The sole was good except for some small hang holes. It took a half hour to work the nicks and chips out of the blade. The #5 was a bit of a frankenplane. The body, frog, chipbreaker, levercap, tote and knob were correct. The blade and broken tote had been replaced. It was also incredibly dirty. It took an hour just to get the dirt/oil residue off the body. I really didn't know which type it was until clean. Then I saw the three patent dates. The jappaning is 75% gone. I am still derusting / cleaning. It will make a good user for someone. I'll get it in good working shape and sell it.

Mattia Valente
05-06-2013, 4:30 PM
I finally did some proper woodworking - weather and work had been getting in the way. Dimensioned (cut to size, jointed, thicknessed) three large rosewood boards for my table project (8.5 x 72"), which was an interesting experience given my 6" jointer. Also purchased 15 5/4 rough cherry boards and 2 large 8/4 boards for the base of the table, a few additional leaves and the initial batch of wood for my bookcase project (probably just about enough for the cabinet base section).

Joe Shinall
05-06-2013, 9:43 PM
Rain rain rain here. I was able to finish a lot in the hallway. Finished the wainscotting, chair rail, baseboards, tile grout, quarter round, wall paint, ceiling beams, caulk, ceiling paint, and pocket door trim. Looks like a finished hallway but got a couple 1 inch pieces of molding to put in and paint the door trims. No actual woodworking unfortunately.

Bill Wyko
05-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Spent the last 4 days with my dad, he fell & broke his hip a couple months back & is still recovering. He's making progress a little at a time. Came home during the day & cleaned the disaster I made making my Baileigh box entry. I can't figure out how such a small box can make such a BIG mess, took me 2 days to get it back to where I can work in it again. Good thing I did too, I have orders for 3 more boxes.:)

Rod Sheridan
05-07-2013, 9:11 AM
;)

Hi Art, lets see if I remember to take another photo on our trip down to Biltmore in June for the BMW rally.

The avatar photo was taken on the Blue Ridge Parkway when we went to the last rally at Biltmore........Rod.

Bruce Wrenn
05-07-2013, 1:10 PM
Spent most of the weekend either resting, or doing exercises, or taking pain meds. (I had bi-lateral knee replacement done on April 15th.) Would dearly be able to go to the shop, but it isn't going to happen any time soon. Today,the sun finally popped out. It's been cool and cloudy everyday since my surgery. Sunday morning, wife took me to the "Y". Got on the bike and did 500 steps, plus one lap around the track in the gym. Monday climbed the stairs to second floor for first tme since getting home from rehab. Each day is a slow steady foreword progress towards recovery.

Dave Aronson
05-07-2013, 4:23 PM
90% through bricking my outdoor kitchen. Working with brick officially sucks.