PDA

View Full Version : Rigid ROS spins fast

Bob Cooper
05-05-2013, 9:51 PM
I've got a couple inexpensive Rigid ROS's that have "lifetime" warranties. Well i guess that's ok if there's anyone around that works on them...no such luck in Columbia. Both of them now spin super fast until you put a lot of pressure on them which makes them somewhat useless. I've taken them apart but it's not obvious to me what's worn out. Any advice?

Bruce Wrenn
05-06-2013, 12:17 AM
The HD's with tool rental centers do "on site" tool repairs around here. If they work like my PC's, the restraing belt is either broken, or streached.

Dick Mahany
05-06-2013, 9:38 AM
My PC did the same thing. The speed limiting o-ring was simply stretched. It wasn't obvious at first as it wasn't broken. If yours is built the same way, a local o-ring supplier may have one of the correct size in stock.

Steve Baumgartner
05-06-2013, 9:46 AM
As Dick points out, most ROS have a friction ring (sometimes labelled a "dust seal") beneath the pad. This is a "wear item" that is expected to need periodic replacement by the user (it's easy to install). I just did my DeWalt. Cost about $4. The purpose is to cause the pad to have a bit of oscillation even under no load, since otherwise it goes to full speed pure rotary and tends to gouge when you set it down.

Steve

Mike Hollingsworth
05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
I've had every brand of ROS and have found the Ridgid useless.

Jim Tabor
05-06-2013, 9:00 PM
Bob,

I've had three or four Ridgid ROS and they are the same as all the other $50-$70 sanders. You have to treat them like what they are, expendable and unrepairable. I now buy two re-conditioned ROS at a time (cheaper and just as good) and toss them when they bite the dust.

Pat Barry
05-06-2013, 9:18 PM
I had the same issue with my Dewalt ROS and it was the slip disk. Easy to repair and after replacement the sander worked almost like new.

Kevin Bourque
05-07-2013, 8:18 AM
I've had every brand of ROS and have found the Ridgid useless.

That goes double for Ryobi.