PDA

View Full Version : Belsaw planer.

Kent E. Matthew
05-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Is the Belsaw planer a decent machine? How difficult would it be to change out the rollers?

Nelson Howe
05-05-2013, 12:06 PM
I have one. I like it a lot. It was my grandfather's, so it is at least 50 years old. 3hp motor. It doesn't have a chipbreaker, but it does a good job. I spent a fair amount of time trying to tune out snipe. Now I get just a tiny bit. I retrofitted a better dust port and digital height gauge. It's the only planer I've had, so I can't compare it to anything. I don't know how hard it would be to retrofit the rollers. I found a manual online at OWWM. It doesn't have a ton of info...

Nelson

Jerry Miner
05-05-2013, 3:41 PM
I have changed out the feed rollers on a Belsaw---although it was several years ago. Pretty straight-forward project, as I recall: remove the bolts holding the springs, then the rollers slip out of a slot they rest in. Only tricky part (not that tricky) is getting the spring pressure even all around. Do you have the manual? I think it is all explained there.

Is it a decent machine? It's pretty unsophisticated, but sturdy and reliable.

John TenEyck
05-05-2013, 3:49 PM
I have a Foley-Belsaw planer/molder. It is simply designed, rugged machine that will run for years with minimal maintenance. Some call it crude, and it is compared to my Inca J/P, but you know what, it planes very well. I've also used the molder function quite a bit, and it is easy to set up and produces beautiful moldings. You can often find a F-B machine for pretty cheap, like well less than $500, making them a real bargain. I got mine for $250, but had to put about $75 worth of new bushings and springs and 5 or 6 hours into it to bring it up to snuff. Still a great deal.

John

Don Jarvie
05-05-2013, 9:07 PM
Unless the rollers are junk you can take them off and wipe them with kerosene or paint thinner to dissolve the grime.

Rich Riddle
05-05-2013, 9:41 PM
I traded one off earlier this year to a SMC member. The Belsaw planer sure can hog down some wood much faster than the other machines. It's a fairly simple design that works great. You'll do fine with it. The manual is still available online if you need it.

Jamie Ray
05-06-2013, 4:55 AM
I own one as well. Solid planer. You can sharpen the blades. Shim the infeed/outfeed tables. Dust collection is possible if you build your own hood. As long as you have a good motor on it, it will plow through anything. +1 on cleaning the rollers with kerosene/paint thinner. Parts and Manuals are available if you search the web for them. If the price is right, you can't go wrong.