PDA

View Full Version : Finishing walnut island countertop with Waterlox

Mike Conley
05-05-2013, 7:46 AM
I am ready to start finishing a Walnut island countertop that I have been working on. My question is about the finishing sequence since the piece is heavy.

Should I alternate coats of finish between the top and the bottom or should I do all coats on one side then flip the top and do all the coats on the other side?

Should I do 1st coat on bottom, wait 24 hours flip it and do 1st coat on top, wait 24 hours flip it and do 2nd coat on bottom, etc., etc.,

or

Should I do 1st coat on bottom, wait 24 hours, 2nd coat on bottom, wait 24 hours 3rd coat on bottom, flip it, 1st coat on top, 24 hours, 2nd coat on top, etc., etc.

Sam Murdoch
05-05-2013, 10:09 AM
I would set it up on tall horse with a contact point in each corner that would allow me to get the bottom surface from underneath and also do the top with no flipping. A little uncomfortable and will not result in a perfect under top finish but as this is a countertop and you are only doing the underside for stabilizing you will get better than adequate results. My techniques is to apply a 3 liberal coats with a high quality bristle or foam brush. I do sand with 220 grit between coats. Using a Festool finish RO sander attached to a dust collection system - this is very effective. I still tack cloth before each coat and dust myself off very well too. Others will likely write that they apply as a wipe on finish. So I expect you will get more advice :).

Waterlox applied as I do it requires a dust and draft free area for at least six hours after each application but especially before the last coat. If you don't have a way to keep your area clean for that long the wipe on technique might be better. In any case, after 4 to 6 weeks you will have a very hard finish that is excellent for c-tops.