PDA

View Full Version : My General's Upgrade

Harry Robinette
05-04-2013, 9:54 PM
Well the new VFD and Motor are installed. I'm still having some trouble with the Reeves drive the center moving sheave has a knocking sound. I'm going to call General Monday or Tuesday and see what a new pulley will cost. But here's the pictures one of the old system taken out and then the new one installed. Still have to get a box for the controller but the STOP button is working out OK. The large silver block is a brake resistor it's suppose to help stop large items that have enersia.
This is something that I added to the system so we'll see how it does when I get the pulleys taken care of.
I will keep posting as the project moves forward :) or backwards.:eek: Sorry about the pictures for some reason I'm having a (insert bad word) bad time trying to get picture onto this site.

charlie knighton
05-05-2013, 8:24 AM
thanks Harry, is that stop button mobile? good progress

Fred Belknap
05-05-2013, 8:47 AM
Harry I can't get your pictures to resize. I kind of doubt a bad word would help but you never know.

Harry Robinette
05-05-2013, 4:06 PM
Charlie
Yes the stop button is on a rare earth magnet,when I'm done the remote key pad will also be in a magnetic box. I'll be able to put them anywhere on the lathe. The key pad wire is about 8ft long way more then I need,so I made the stop button only about 4 ft which is plenty.

Harry Robinette
05-05-2013, 4:34 PM
Sorry for the repost but have pictures figured out I think.

I got everything working and all seams good. The pulleys are giving me grief but will call General the first of the week. Have to get a box for the key pad it's not very strong for being in the shop but it works well and does everything to the VFD. Emergency stop works great and can us it for a regular motor stop and start with out stoping the VFD is needed. Well here's the pictures I think they'll work now.
If anythings wrong John remove whatever you need to.

Fred Belknap
05-05-2013, 5:32 PM
Harry it looks like a first class job. The pictures worked great.

John Keeton
05-05-2013, 6:02 PM
Harry, I merged the threads for you so it all stays together. Nice work!

Harry Robinette
05-07-2013, 7:38 PM
Got everything running. Called General about a 4 step pulley for this machine ( it's a heavy duty pulley with the index wheel built in ) but I think they're nuts at $148.00 +shipping. I think I've came up with a way to take the knocking noise out of the reeves drive,I'm going to reset the out side sheaves so they'll hold the inner sheave tighter and keep it from moving and making that knocking noise (I think????)
Pulley speed range rpm I can get 60 to 2400 rpm so I'm happy, when I reset the outside sheaves it might change a little but I'm hoping this is going to work.

Josh Bowman
05-07-2013, 9:15 PM
Harry, the new pictures are great. Glad you figured out the noise.

Roy Turbett
05-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Got everything running. Called General about a 4 step pulley for this machine ( it's a heavy duty pulley with the index wheel built in ) but I think they're nuts at $148.00 +shipping. I think I've came up with a way to take the knocking noise out of the reeves drive,I'm going to reset the out side sheaves so they'll hold the inner sheave tighter and keep it from moving and making that knocking noise (I think????)
Pulley speed range rpm I can get 60 to 2400 rpm so I'm happy, when I reset the outside sheaves it might change a little but I'm hoping this is going to work.

One of the guys at OWWM.org was having a similar problem with knocking noises from the reeves drive on his Powermatic 90. Turns out he had two problems. The first problem was that the groove in the upper moveable spindle sheave didn't mate properly with the key stock in the spindle. He remachined the keyways in the sheave and spindle and installed a new key and this took care of the problem.

A second problem area was in the lower reeves drive where the positioning pins had worn and enlarged the seating hole in spindle . The sheave wasn't worn. New pins and a new hole solved this problem.