PDA

View Full Version : Performs above price...

Peter Pedisich
05-04-2013, 8:29 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hCzcCh81AgA/UYWmHX0IOJI/AAAAAAAAB2o/jzeSftB-UKM/s640/IMG_8229.JPG

With a sharp blade, this little plane performs well. Bought this about 12-14 years ago for maybe $35

Michael Dedon
05-04-2013, 9:18 PM
I must have got one from the same batch. It sat on the shelf for about five years until I broke down and tuned it and it has been like a best friend. My little japanese saw saw is its cousin.

Harlan Barnhart
05-05-2013, 8:01 AM
I have one of those as well, its so close to good thing but not quite. The adjustable mouth and plane body are great, the blade takes a good edge and holds it well. The problems are in the cap and the lateral adjustment mechanisms which are poorly made and have a lot of play. On mine the cap is cast so poorly the lever doesn't clamp properly with the side motion so I have to use a screw driver each time I want to adjust it.

I would also like to nominate the blue handled ryoba from Home Depot. Its labeled "Marples" for some reason but if you look closely it's made in Japan. It's a decent saw and well worth the 22 dollars. Mine had seen lots of jobsite work, plywood and MDF and it still cuts well.

NOTE: Do NOT buy the blue handled saw labeled "IRWIN", it looks very similar but it made in China and its nowhere near the Japanese saw.

Jim Koepke
05-05-2013, 10:58 AM
I think mine says "Made in England" on it. My recollection is it was about $30 when it was bought about 25 years ago.

jtk

Peter Pedisich
05-05-2013, 11:48 AM
yeah, mine says "Made in England" also. It did require a bit of tuning to the lever cap. I bought mine at Home Depot, don't think they have these anymore.

Tony Zaffuto
05-05-2013, 11:56 AM
My parents bought one of the "Made in England" models in the mid-80's. Still have it and it also "Performs above price"! A few months ago, it took a "digger" to the concrete floor and other than a tiny chip to the japanning, it was nonetheless for the wear and kept on making fluffies.