PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor table with 700 pound stone top

Mark Singer
05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Today I was working on a outdoor table base for a 700 pound Nova Blue Limestone top. I am using mahogany . There are 4 stretchers and 8/4 aprons for strength. I am using Epoxy and mortise and tenon joinery. I have a student helping me ...he is an old freind and wanted to try his hand at woodworking...this is a good fundamental project with frame joinery....

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Wow. Don't let a finger get caught between that stone and the apron or you will be able to read the paper through your finger. Nice project.

Jim Becker
05-15-2005, 10:16 PM
So where is that puppy going to go, Mark? It sounds like a great project!

Tim Morton
05-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Today I was working on a outdoor table base for a 700 pound Nova Blue Limestone top. I am using mahogany . There are 4 stretchers and 8/4 aprons for strength. I am using Epoxy and mortise and tenon joinery. I have a student helping me ...he is an old freind and wanted to try his hand at woodworking...this is a good fundamental project with frame joinery....

Just reading the title of the topic, I said to myself...that HAS to be Mark Singer:D. Can't wait to see pictures of this table(and joinery)....looks cool. How do you get that stone on your jointer?(it's late and I'm tired...couldn't resist)

Jeff Sudmeier
05-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Wow, that sure sounds like a great table! No worries about it being blown off of the deck! (Or wherever it is :) )

Mark Singer
05-15-2005, 11:16 PM
It is 1 1/4" thick limestone. The table is designed to seat 8 people. It is going in my pool court where we have most dinners this time of year...on the ocean side. Yhe size is 72 x 84 or 4' by 6" ...at 30 pounds per foot...there you go ...720 pounds. i was going to do something more involved , but , Ryan and LOML said keep it simple. Each side holds 2 people...it works great...we have it sitting on an old table and have had a few dinners there on the new top already. My assistant Mike was very helpful....I think he may enjoy woodworking...I know him forever....he is a great guy and maybe I can get him to join SMC. Today we got in about 6 hours and I went a bit slow...I showed him a lot of shop safety.... Getting in good habits...never aligning your hand with the tablesaw. The muscle memory stuff that just makes good sense. We did a lot of mortising with a router and a large bit...stuff most of you have done over and over... What is interesting is the basics are really so important.

David Fried
05-15-2005, 11:25 PM
At first glance I thought it said "Outfeed table with 700 pound stone top". I thought that was really over the top. Sounds great next to the pool. It should seat everyone comfortably with lots of room for lots of food! I look forward to seeing pictures!

Kelly C. Hanna
05-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Looks like another great project Mark! I can't wait to see the after pics.

Mark Singer
05-15-2005, 11:52 PM
here are a few pics including a shot I just took of the Nova Blue top...The router bit has a full 2" projection...which is needed for strength. one pic shows the Paduck tenon stock and the nice fit in the mortise. Always mill the stock after the mortise is routed. The saw kerfs are for glue passage. The same jig is reset for all mortises by moving the fence. I leave the mortise rounded from the bit and use a matching roundover on the tenon stock.

Mark Singer
05-16-2005, 11:44 AM
I realized as I read the post I may have confused a few people.....the photo that shows the top is the new stone top sitting on top of an old table. I am making a custom table base to replace the old table. I am very confusing ...sometimes I have trouble understanding myself...:confused: and my wife....don't ask:rolleyes:

scott spencer
05-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a great project Mark...plus the experience of doing this with a friend is awesome. My best friend is budding wwer like me, and frequents SMC...this hobby makes for some great fun between friends and family members.

Last fall I built a maple/granite conference table that had a 3'x8'x5/4" slab of granite on top. I'm sure your table won't blow away from an ocean breeze! :D

Christian Aufreiter
05-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Another Mark-Singer-Project - YEAH, I'm looking forward to more progress pics and can't wait to see the table completed.

Regards,

Christian

John Miliunas
05-16-2005, 1:31 PM
Like Christian, I too am awaiting the "play-by-play" of this project! I have no doubt in my mind as to how the results will look, but I sure do enjoy the "how-to's" along the way. Keep 'em coming, Mark! And thank you!!!:) :cool:

Darren Ford
05-16-2005, 3:12 PM
Nice photo, what a view! Are those forest fires in the background ?

Michael Gabbay
05-16-2005, 3:48 PM
Sounds like a cool table and deck/patio area.

The only draw back....

"Honey can you move the table over here?"
"Ok Honey, can you move the table over here and let me see how that looks"
"No, I think I like it back there"
"Oh wait, turn it just a little to the left"
:D

You do have a fork lift, right?

Mike

Mark Singer
05-16-2005, 4:19 PM
When it is done....it ain't moving!:eek:
Sounds like a cool table and deck/patio area.

The only draw back....

"Honey can you move the table over here?"
"Ok Honey, can you move the table over here and let me see how that looks"
"No, I think I like it back there"
"Oh wait, turn it just a little to the left"
:D

You do have a fork lift, right?

Mike

John Hart
05-16-2005, 5:47 PM
Very cool project Mark. I think it's great that you are getting your friend's feet wet on it. He'll probably fall in love with the craft.

Mark Singer
05-16-2005, 7:57 PM
John,

I would have used Shlamaca....but, as you know it is not reccomended outdoors....:)

Very cool project Mark. I think it's great that you are getting your friend's feet wet on it. He'll probably fall in love with the craft.

John Hart
05-16-2005, 8:05 PM
Perhaps you could inlay it into the stone and then cover it with some clear resin so that that prized and rare species can be forever displayed.