PDA

View Full Version : Saturday gloat ( it has been a while )

Dave Beauchesne
05-04-2013, 5:16 PM
Thought I would share my lucky finds this morning.
Came to the Garage Sale - early - and there were a couple transitionals which don't interest me, a couple old braces and sets of well worn bits. Three run of the mill newish Stanley metal bodies Nah.
The 10 1/2 Stanley was missed on the first pass, but I am glad I saw it as more people were showing up; the 16" compass stamped FRANCE rounded out the haul. Total ask : $8.00. I didn't even quibble.
The 10 1/2 has the Stanley PAT. XXXX 1892 stamping, and looks to be solid. It will clean up nicely ( when I get time ).
Then, I stopped by another WW buddies place to chin wag, and he gifted me a Stanley 75 in very nice shape. Not sure of the date, but it has older looking script on the blade.
I went from having only one LN skewed rabbet plane to tripling the rabbet stable.
All in all, a very YOU SUCKworthy day. Hope some of you had similar stories.
Dave B

Harold Burrell
05-04-2013, 7:38 PM
All in all, a very YOU SUCKworthy day.

Couldn't have said it better myself...:p

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-04-2013, 9:00 PM
I dunno - kudos on the compass ( I can never get enough dividers and compasses) and the 10 1/2, but I have to say after my experience with a 75, I think your friend might have been playing a prank on you . . .

Jim Koepke
05-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Yes, a very YOU SUCKworhy day.

+1 on what Joshua said about the #75m, not a great plane.

jtk

Dave Beauchesne
05-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Joshua / Jim:

I haven't used the 75, but something for nothing, especially when it is in very nice shape, you can not go wrong.
The 16" compass is a coup; I will find a use for it some day I am sure.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I have a pair of Pexto dividers probably almost a foot in length - long dividers are great, I'd love to get my hand on a longer pair like yours. I love them for lots of layout tasks, it's great for scribing out a large ogee bracket or a curve or something where a trammel or a template might be the go to, but I just find these more convenient.

Jim Matthews
05-05-2013, 8:42 PM
I'd love to get my hand on a longer pair like yours.

Sometimes, this stuff just writes itself.
It's shameless, the way some of you flirt.

Anything bigger than your hands is wasted, anyway.

Harold Burrell
05-05-2013, 9:50 PM
I dunno - kudos on the compass ( I can never get enough dividers and compasses) and the 10 1/2, but I have to say after my experience with a 75, I think your friend might have been playing a prank on you . . .

Yes, a very YOU SUCKworhy day.

+1 on what Joshua said about the #75m, not a great plane.

jtk

I dunno...I kind of like me 75. It can come in handy.

Granted...it is a sort of torture device though. A tad hard on the hand. :eek:

Rodney Walker
05-06-2013, 7:25 AM
Days like yours are rare but it's nice when they happen. Congrats on some very nice finds.
Rodney

Chris Griggs
05-06-2013, 8:03 AM
Nice finds Dave. Especially that 10 1/2.

I find 75s make really nice paperweights and also look kinda cool sitting on windowsill or bookshelf. Not that I'd ever look that gift horse in the mouth.

There's someone who posts here semi frequently (don't remember who) who really likes using his. He made some kind of wooden cap/handle that fits over the back or blade. He's posted a pic of it a few times, perhaps he will again.