PDA

View Full Version : Which BS would you recommend?

Michael Dunn
05-04-2013, 4:22 PM
With frequent resawing in mind as well as ripping, cross its, and curves...

Jet JWBS-18X or the Rikon 10-340?

The Rikon has 2 4" DP's, Jet has one.
Rikon has 2HP, Jet has 1-3/4HP.
The Rikon is 550 miles away from me. The Jet is about 40 miles away
The Rikon is in much better shape. The Jet looks a bit less cared for. Maybe bad pics...
Rikoni has a 21"x19" table. Jet has a 19"x19" table.

I'm just wondering what some other guys think about these two saws when juxtaposed. I'm already planning to get the Rikon on Monday. However, a CL alert came up for this Jet not too far from me.

Thoughts and opinions?

Jim Tabor
05-04-2013, 4:30 PM
Michael,
I 've had a Rikon 10-345, 2-1/2HP, for a couple years and it seems like an okay saw to me. I don't do much resawing, mostly cutting out parts for rocking chairs. Can't tell you anything about a Jet.

Brian Kent
05-04-2013, 4:57 PM
I can only share my own thought process. If it is the bandsaw in Barrington Hills, it would be worth the shorter drive to check it out. I have only heard good, solid reviews about both saws. If it is good it person, I would opt for that over an 1100 mile round trip.

Michael Dunn
05-04-2013, 5:34 PM
To further complicate matters... This just came up in Naperville on CL. Even closer.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this saw compare to the Jet or the Rikon?

Michael Dunn
05-04-2013, 5:46 PM
Well the grizzly has nearly 3" less resaw capacity. I have much large resawing on the horizon. The table is a bit smaller, it has steel guide blocks whereas the Rikon has bearings. The grizzly has only one 4" port. Rikon has two.

It's tempting, but I think the Rikon is going to be worth the entire days drive.

Plus I ordered 3 new blades for the Rikon yesterday and a heavy duty large Shop Fox adjustable mobile base. $740 for the Grizzly is tempting, but I think I'm going to pass.

I'm still open to hearing thoughts and opinions.

Cary Falk
05-04-2013, 7:20 PM
Looks like the Rikon is a no brainer spec wise. The Jet has reports with spine flexing.

Joseph Tarantino
05-04-2013, 8:19 PM
i sold an (extremely diasppointing) 18" jet that i got for $40 (no typo) for $750 and replaced it with a 10-340 that i got for $700. the 10-340 is MUCH better than the jet. and rikon is a MUCH better company to deal with than WMH tool group. the 10-340 is an absolute beast when compared the my disappointing 18" jet. the 10-340's fence is a bit weak, but otherwise, if it's in good shape, it won't disappoint you.

Michael Dunn
05-04-2013, 8:33 PM
So, what is this? Tease Mike with 18" BS steals today?

The Jet and the Grizzly are out...

Now it's between the Rikon in TN and a Laguna in central WI. I've heard and read that the Lagunas are pretty nice. The ACM 18" for $1000 plus fuel...

Thoughts???

James Baker SD
05-04-2013, 8:49 PM
Now it's between the Rikon in TN and a Laguna in central WI. I've heard and read that the Lagunas are pretty nice. The ACM 18" for $1000 plus fuel...

Thoughts???

Check the year of manufacture on the Laguna. I have a 2002 ACM 18" and it has less than 12" resaw. Enough for me so far, but I am not a serious resawer. Newer ACM's have greater resaw capacity.

James

Nelson Howe
05-05-2013, 6:54 AM
How about that 24" scmi used one Sal has listed here in the classifieds? That looks like the machine for you.

Nelson

Matt Day
05-05-2013, 8:09 AM
Make sure to figure in your fuel and time costs to drive 1100 miles with a large bandsaw. In guessing you have a truck so 20mpg at best, so just gas would be about $250.

Sounds like you should have jumped on the Woodcraft Rikon deal!

Michael Dunn
05-05-2013, 3:29 PM
How about that 24" scmi used one Sal has listed here in the classifieds? That looks like the machine for you.

Nelson

I have. 400sq/ft 2 car garage shop and this saw would be much more than I need. Let me also clarify... I'm going to be doing a good amount of resawing, however, it's not going to be tons of massive pieces like 12'-16' 8"x8"'s or something crazy like that. So a 24" SCMI, while totally awesome, is total overkill my needs and shop space.

It's between the ACM and the Rikon.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Rikon. If its not the the clear leader of the two, can someone please point out the specs and reasons.

I feel like I'm at a wedding and the pastor is saying "if any feels that these two should not get married..."

Between these two saws... The Rikon and the ACM 18"... Which should I buy. I forgot, someone here PM'd me with an offer to sell me a Laguna ACM for $1000 + 440 miles RT in travel. What should I do? I know he Rikon pretty well from research, but I can't even find a manual for the ACM.

Please help!!!

Michael Dunn
05-05-2013, 3:36 PM
Make sure to figure in your fuel and time costs to drive 1100 miles with a large bandsaw. In guessing you have a truck so 20mpg at best, so just gas would be about $250.

Sounds like you should have jumped on the Woodcraft Rikon deal!

That's my estimate as well.

As for the WC deal, at the time my BS was working. A week after the sale expired my BS crapped out. $1049 + tax, even for a new saw was out of my price range. I almost exclusively buy used tools. Saving money is #1 to me.

Gus Dundon
05-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Rikon band saws have good features and obviously well built saws. Here is an old thread about some band saw tips and information http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?44257-Evaluating-Bandsaws-What-s-more-important&p=448545#post448545

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2013, 10:38 AM
There are a lot of happy Jet customers out there.

Personally, I have dealt with their customer service and was happy with the results.

Don't base your decision on one individuals experience.

Michael Dunn
05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Rikon band saws have good features and obviously well built saws. Here is an old thread about some band saw tips and information http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?44257-Evaluating-Bandsaws-What-s-more-important&p=448545#post448545

Very good info there... I'm 150 miles away from my Rikon 10-340 now. Driving through beautiful KY.

Charles Wiggins
05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Joseph,

I am curious about the vintage of the Jet you sold. I have one of the newer JWBS-18QT-3 with the triangular spine and love it. My only complaint is that setting the guides under the table is kind of a pain.

Charles

Michael Dunn
05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Joseph,

I am curious about the vintage of the Jet you sold. I have one of the newer JWBS-18QT-3 with the triangular spine and love it. My only complaint is that setting the guides under the table is kind of a pain.

Charles

Do a YouTube search for Alex Snodgrass bandsaw setup. He actually recommends removing the table. It's simple and make setting the lower guide a breeze.

Julie Moriarty
05-06-2013, 5:03 PM
I have a Jet JWBS 18 that's probably 15 or so years old. I thought the "18" part of it would be all I'd ever need. For years it was. Then I got into resawing. Once I bought a good resaw blade (Woodmaster CT) I discovered my bandsaw only resaws to a bit under 10". I had some 8/4 QS sapele that was 13+". It had beautiful grain. But in order to resaw it I had to rip it first. I have a nice piece of 8/4 bubinga that's also too wide for the bandsaw. And a piece of 6/4 figured sapele, again too wide. When I bought them I had images of book-matched projects roaming around in my mind. Now they are just sitting in my shop waiting for my imagination to come up with something that will allow me to rip them without crying.

It's a slippery slope. Once you achieve something, you want to raise the bar. If I were to buy a new bandsaw now, I place high priority on resaw capacity.

Bill Wyko
05-06-2013, 11:49 PM
I have a Rikon 14" w/ 6" resaw, a Grizzly with 12" resaw and an Agazzani with 13" resaw. Of all of them I'd have to say the grizzly has the most & best features and I feel I got the most for my money on it. Vernier tilt, electric brake, best resaw fence out of the box, excellent bearing guides for blade and more. IMHO you should look into Grizzly before choosing.

Michael Dunn
05-07-2013, 12:13 AM
I just got home from the 1100 mile trip to TN. Beautiful part of the country!!! Tommy and his wife are super generous and nice people. I defer to get the Rikon. My knees are KILLING me from only stopping 3 times the entire trip. Aaaaagh!!!!!!!

Michael Dunn
05-07-2013, 10:19 AM
I installed my mobile base with the BS still in my Pilot. Slid it out, stood it up, as rolled it in my shop. Not bad. 400lb saw.

Bill Wyko
05-07-2013, 12:02 PM
I have to say, my Rikon was my first BS and it has been a workhorse for years, never had a problem with it in any way. You're going to have decades of solid work out of it, congratulations.

Joseph Tarantino
05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
I installed my mobile base with the BS still in my Pilot. Slid it out, stood it up, as rolled it in my shop. Not bad. 400lb saw.

band saw in the shop? where's the pics? no pics, etc., etc.

smart move skipping the jet. it's a decision you'll never regret.

Michael Dunn
05-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Indeed. I'm glad I went with the Rikon. Here's some pics...

I figured the next best thing to a spotless shiny CI top is one covered in sawdust. DC was on, but was making a first attempt at resawing. Not too bad, needs some fence and table adjustments. I'm using 3/4" 3tpi WS blade. I have a 3/4" Timber Wolf coming today too. I know they're low tension but I figured it'd be good to try it out.

I'm so temped to try repairing and keeping my old 14" Cal-Hawk for curves and light stuff. I think it only needs a motor start cap.

Julie Moriarty
05-08-2013, 12:53 PM
I like the idea of dual dust ports. Does that work better in practice? My Jet has only one 4", at the top, and dust collection is so-so.

I went for years using Wood Slicer blades. They dulled quickly though. And resawing anything beyond, say, 5-6" wide had to be done when the blades were new. A few months ago I bought a 1" Lenox Woodmaster CT 1.3 TPI, .051 kerf. I had thought all along a 1" blade was too wide and 1.3 TPI too few teeth. I was wrong. My first cut and WOW! I had no idea resawing could be so effortless, even to the maximum cut on my saw, almost 10". I've heard the TriMaster and Laguna's Resaw King are also great blades, though both about twice the price of the Woodmaster CT. But like every other cutting tool we use, it all starts with the blade. You may find yourself forever in love with your new purchase with a high quality blade in place.

Michael Dunn
05-08-2013, 1:47 PM
I'll have to try out the WM CT. Does anyone know how well it performs when compared to the Laguna Resaw King? If that's even what it's called. All I know is the price.

David Kumm
05-08-2013, 2:21 PM
Ct 1.3 is a great blade. Lower priced version of the Trimaster with fewer teeth and a little less carbide on each tooth. Great for wide resawing or a was that runs fast. It isn't available in widths less than 1", unlike the RK or Trimaster. The downside is it runs a .035 band and likes high tension. doesn't mean it can't give a good cut at lower -15000 lb- tension but not like at 25000-30000. Matters as the board gets wider or harder. the RK runs a .024" band so it will tension easier but needs to since the beam strength is less. I don't know where Laguna sources their blades and their have been some inconsistencies in the past. that may not be the case today. I don't know as I'm a Trimaster guy. I would be cautious before spending $200+ on a carbide blade until I knew what the saw was really capable of. Test it on a 1" steel blade, tension it until the spring is ALMOST collapsed and see how it saws. If the blade tracks fine and cuts a 10+ hardwood well, you should be good to go with a carbide blade of similar band thickness. If the blade won't track it may be you have overtensioned and the neck is flexing slightly as you run it. Tells you to try a 3/4" blade or a thinner band. Likewise if the cut is bellied out or wanders and the blade is sharp and new. Then the tension is too low for what you are cutting. Dave

Jim Matthews
05-08-2013, 3:02 PM
I'm so temped to try repairing and keeping my old 14" Cal-Hawk for curves and light stuff. I think it only needs a motor start cap.

This is a VERY good idea. Changing blades isn't nearly so straightforward as a pro like Mr. Snodgrass would make it seem.
I've had a 171" blade open at a surprising rate of speed and take off my glasses.

I keep them as a reminder to be more cautious.

I think you would find the little bandsaw handy for knocking off small parts, freehand.

Michael Dunn
05-08-2013, 3:55 PM
Any tips on how to explain that to my wife? When my motor start cap went out I used that as leverage to help persuade a 'Yes' from her on the 10-340 acquisition.

I'm serious. Any tips?