PDA

View Full Version : Flash for iPad?

Charlie Velasquez
05-03-2013, 7:12 PM
Was reading Brent Ring's Scale of the Universe post on my iPad 2. Really like my iPad, but get frustrated when I encounter a web site with Flash content.

What do you use?

paul cottingham
05-03-2013, 7:21 PM
Without sounding like a smart alec, if i find something i cant do on the ipad I go look at it on my laptop. I find it doesn't bother me anymore.

Jim Becker
05-03-2013, 7:24 PM
There apparently is a third party application that allows viewing of Flash content on iOS devices, but I haven't gone to seek it out. I don't find too many sites that I visit that are restricted to Flash anymore, as HTML5 coding is getting more and more prevalent.

paul cottingham
05-03-2013, 7:38 PM
I found the third party app doesn't work too well, and it was a little unstable. So I just gave up on flash on the ipad.

Jay Park
05-03-2013, 8:43 PM
So I just gave up on flash on the ipad.
Apple has given up on Flash too.

Brian Elfert
05-03-2013, 8:47 PM
I'm still running into Flash all over the web. Two other forums I frequent use Flash for their ads and the local newspaper site uses Flash for video and some ads. Youtube still uses Flash unless you get invited to the HTML5 testing. I tried to use HTML5 with Youtube, but I was missing a plugin or something for Firefox.

On my Windows laptop I was having all kinds of issues with Flash crashing. My browser would lock up for a minute or two and then when it started responding again all instances of Flash had crashed. This has gone away in recent weeks after I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash.

The lack of Flash used to be the single biggest complaint about the iPad for a lot of folks. I don't hear that complaint as much, but a lots of websites that use Flash now have native apps for the iPad.

Myk Rian
05-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Apple has given up on Flash too.
I think it's more Adobe has given up on Flash.
On my Android phone, Flash doesn't work with the Google Chrome browser, but does with the stock installed one.
But, to get it to work you need to install an older version of Flash.

Frank Trinkle
05-04-2013, 5:52 AM
The main reason Apple elected not to support Flash in iOS is due to the heavy load on power. Battery life is severely affected when viewing Flash videos. HTML5 requires far less power to view and while there was a big spat between Apple and Adobe, Apple clearly won as Adobe didn't have an effective argument to counter Apple's contention.
Flash is going the way of DOS and will be gone within a year or two more in favor of HTML5...or6.

On another note, virtually ALL youtube videos can be viewed on iOS. Flash videos uploaded to YouTube are generally converted by them before being available for viewing so that they are not browser or OS dependent.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with the death nell on the horizon for Flash. Pain in the you-know-what.

Curt Harms
05-04-2013, 8:55 AM
The main reason Apple elected not to support Flash in iOS is due to the heavy load on power. Battery life is severely affected when viewing Flash videos. HTML5 requires far less power to view and while there was a big spat between Apple and Adobe, Apple clearly won as Adobe didn't have an effective argument to counter Apple's contention.
Flash is going the way of DOS and will be gone within a year or two more in favor of HTML5...or6.

On another note, virtually ALL youtube videos can be viewed on iOS. Flash videos uploaded to YouTube are generally converted by them before being available for viewing so that they are not browser or OS dependent.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with the death nell on the horizon for Flash. Pain in the you-know-what.

Don't be talkin' 'bout HTML 6:p. HTML 5 won't be 'official' 'til next year - maybe. Then HTML 5.1 & 5.2 are in the pipeline. But yeah, flash is on its way out and great loss. Maybe it and I.E. 6 can sit in the old software retirement home and reminisce.:rolleyes:

Scott Snyder
05-05-2013, 9:25 AM
Puffin web browser does flash on iOS reasonably well. NFI.