PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Bamboo...

Erin Stringer
05-15-2005, 8:24 PM
Hi all, I have a question about working with and buying Bamboo. I love the look, the durability, and the fact that is plentiful and quickly mature. I like it so much that I have decided when the carpet in the bedrooms is dead we will replace it with Bamboo flooring.

I'm wondering if there are any outlets for Bamboo "sheets" that can be used for projects. I have seen a number of different household items made with bamboo (change valet, writing tablet, trash can, etc) but have no idea where to get the raw materials to make them myself. Has anyone ever seen bamboo "lumber" for sale and has anyone ever used it? I'm curious about how it works in a home shop atmosphere.

Jim Becker
05-15-2005, 8:56 PM
Since bamboo is really grass...it takes some special processing to make it flat since it's pretty much a hollow, segmented tube. I've only seen it in flooring, but I have to say, it's absolutely beautiful in that application.

Dev Emch
05-15-2005, 9:36 PM
The closest I have seen that meets your description is bamboo flooring. Try Bamboo Flooring International Corp.
20120 Paseo Del Prado, Suie E
Walnut, Ca 91789
bamboo@stbbs.com
Ph: 909-594-4189

This is an older address and I dont know if they are still around so give it a try. The flooring is made from laminated strips three layers thick. Tonkin cane is cut open and made flat. Then these flat strips are jointed and glued together.

I will warn you right now, its not what you think. My exposure to bamboo is in the making of spilt cane bamboo fishing rods which I think are the finest around. Period. Been making these since I was a teenager. They are made by spliting large sections of tonken cane into strips with a bamboo froe and then planing them into sections and then gluing them together. Sounds simple. It is not and I am not going into the details.

What I will say is that bamboo has an extremely hard surface which contains the "power fibers". Underneath this hard surface is a kind of pithy like material which is sorta like wood but not as strong. It works well with hand planes. But the beauty of bamboo is in the outer layers so you you need to make sure that nothing happens here. Only very light sanding.

The guy who imports tons of tonkin cane into the US is Demerrest (sp?). I would need to look up the exact name in my files later if you need this address. He is all over the cane rod makers web pages.

Brad Knabel
05-15-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't know much about it but I remember reading about plyboo awhile back. This is a "plywood" made with bamboo. This company also sells veneer. I think this sort of product is as close as you'll get to finding planks made up of bamboo given how it grows.

I don't see prices listed, but I'm guessing you'll be paying a premium for this product.

http://www.plyboo.com

(No affiliation with this company/product.)

Chris Mann
05-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Plyboo (http://www.plyboo.com) is one option. It's available in plywood sized sheets, either in a veneered cross laminate or as solid core. Bettencourt green bldg supplies in brooklyn sells it, but I have yet to work with it.

Charles McKinley
05-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Hi Erin,

Bamboo is very cool to work with. I had the pleasure of watching my "Paraguayan Father" work with it while I was in the Peace Corps. There are some appropriate technology books that give instructions and plans on working with bamboo. It is very strong and light weight.

I will look to see if I have some of my books from then. Also try your library.

Jamie Buxton
05-19-2005, 11:52 PM
A local hardwood dealer sells plywood made from bamboo. Dunno if it that plyboo source, or somebody else. At any rate, they want about $150 for a sheet that is 3/4"x4'x8' -- pretty pricey. I'm guessing the price is so high because: a) it is a specialty item, and b) all of that processing Jim speaks of.

Keith Christopher
05-19-2005, 11:59 PM
I would think to use it for any kind of cabinetry it would have to be veneer or PLY, I've seen some amazing beds made from in in Tiawan It's pretty amazing to watch but as "lumber" ... veneer or ply. And based upon my research in custom plys, I would figure 2-400 a sheet.

Jon Toebbe
05-20-2005, 8:22 AM
At any rate, they want about $150 for a sheet that is 3/4"x4'x8' -- pretty pricey.
:eek: You ain't whistlin' Dixie! I've seen bamboo flooring and thought it looked pretty sharp, and love the green resource idea behind it. How can it be so spendy? The new Workmates have bamboo plywood tops -- I just helped a friend put one together.

Scott Coffelt
05-20-2005, 9:49 AM
I am not sure where they get it, But Schutte Lumber her in Kansas City has dimensional bamboo lumber. They have it in both front grain and side grain patterns. I can't remember the price, but it did not seem that expensive.

As a side note, the plan for our house is to use bamboo for our flooring. I like the hardness and the light color of the clear.

Ellen Benkin
05-20-2005, 12:08 PM
When I first bought my house there was a "stand" of bamboo across the back lot line. Apparently the people who lived behind us really liked the bamboo, but it is a nightmare to get rid of. I can tell you it grows very quickly and aggressively so, no matter how much we use for flooring or other purposes, we'll never run out of it! I had such a hard time with it that I'm kind of "bamboo-phobic" but I will admit to having admired some samples of bamboo flooring.

John Hart
05-20-2005, 5:58 PM
Hi Erin,

I was looking for some Hickory information and ran across this site http://www.bamboofloors.net/

Jon Toebbe
05-20-2005, 7:53 PM
When I first bought my house there was a "stand" of bamboo across the back lot line. Apparently the people who lived behind us really liked the bamboo, but it is a nightmare to get rid of. I can tell you it grows very quickly and aggressively so, no matter how much we use for flooring or other purposes, we'll never run out of it! I had such a hard time with it that I'm kind of "bamboo-phobic" but I will admit to having admired some samples of bamboo flooring.
There is a nature trail running immediately behind our house, and my wife and I have contemplated putting in some bamboo to create a natural privacy screen. Evidently there are some species that form relatively contained clumps rather than spreading like crabgrass. Personally, I think it's beautiful -- but I can understand your concern for it taking over. :)

Russ Filtz
05-20-2005, 8:31 PM
Not sure how bamboo acts in flooring or other wood applications, but based on my experience with some bamboo cutting boards, I'd be sure and seal it well. In the cutting board application where it gets wet a lot, it seems to get moldy faster than real wood. The mold seems to grab hold in the more open "end grain", but even starts on the face grain as well.