PDA

View Full Version : JDS Glass Laser Tape

Steve Clarkson
05-03-2013, 3:56 PM
There have been a lot of posts about engraving glass lately......and Marty was kind enough to post the link to the JDS YouTube channel.....one of the videos showed a demo of "glass laser tape"........I did a search on here, but I got about 4,000 results........So, has anyone used it? If so, does it work better than the dish soap technique? Does it work like a mask in that you can paint fill the engraving?

Ross Moshinsky
05-03-2013, 4:57 PM
We used wet newspaper before on glass/crystal. The results were acceptable. The results with this tape are still just acceptable, but they are definitely more acceptable. There is a bit less chipping but the big thing is the engraving is definitely a bit more dense in appearance.

As for the color fill, it's likely the mask would work for it but I can't recommend it for that process.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-03-2013, 7:24 PM
Steve, A certain gentleman we all enjoy viewing his handiwork shared this post a bit ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201042-JDS-Glass-Masking-Material-Tests

Steve Clarkson
05-04-2013, 7:11 AM
Thanks Mike......I totally missed that thread and it didn't come up for me in Search.

Martin Boekers
05-04-2013, 3:18 PM
Steve, here is a video that shows someone using regular masking with a nice effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvV_E82ztk0

I'll have to try this method too.

The JDS tape does help esp. on small text, I haven't tried it with a photo yet. Too many things and not enough time.... \*J*/

Steve Clarkson
05-04-2013, 5:11 PM
Thanks Martin......lousy video but nice results. Any idea what kind of paper masking he was using or where to get it?

Martin Boekers
05-04-2013, 5:33 PM
Thanks Martin......lousy video but nice results. Any idea what kind of paper masking he was using or where to get it?

I believe that is the standard tape we all use. I think he said he bought it from LaserBits, but JDS and most suppliers handle the tape.

Worth a shot. I am not sure but I think the adhesive on the paper (JDS and other Masking) may have something to do with it.
Maybe it melts from the laser and adheres to the "shards" giving it a smoother finish. Just a theory.