PDA

View Full Version : colorfill for plastic

Cindy Rhoades
05-03-2013, 9:27 AM
I have been contacted by a company to engrave phone covers, they are a soft plastic and hard plastic but one color. Do you have any suggestions as to what kind of paint to use for colorfill that won't easily come off. This could be the account I have been waiting for since I opened the business and I want to get it right. I haven't done a lot of color fill but what I have done the items weren't handled like a cell phone case would be. Does any one know if they make an epoxy paint that might work. If I can get this right I could be very happy and busy.

Dan Hintz
05-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Select a paint specifically formulated for keying into plastic. That's the best you'll do.

Cindy Rhoades
05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Dan

I have contacted Krylon to see if they have reccomendations since they are paint experts.

Mike Null
05-03-2013, 3:03 PM
If you engrave into the soft portion don't expect paint to stick. If that is the area that is flexed for removing the cover it is like the paint will not hold.

I have engraved covers and used no fill at all.

Doug Novic
05-03-2013, 4:03 PM
Select an automotive enamel paint from your local auto parts supply. With it get the additive used for painting the flexible auto bumpers. The combination of the automotive enamel and the additive will give you the adhesions and flexibility you need. You can apply it with an air brush.

Good luck. I hope this account works out well for you.

Cindy Rhoades
05-03-2013, 4:54 PM
Thank you so much Doug I will go to an auto paint supply store we just happen to have here in town (we have nothing else but for some reason we do have that). I will give you an update on what happens with it.

Dee Gallo
05-03-2013, 7:27 PM
I have also had best luck with solvent based paints on plastic, which I color fill every day. You need a paint which will grab - the solvent melts into the surface of the plastic. Waterbased colors will just pop or peel off eventually.

Balsanu Gabi
05-04-2013, 3:44 AM
I am with Doug on this:
- mask;
- primer (for automotive paints);
- spray paint.

Ask for at least a sample. Some casses are made it from ABS.

HTH
Gabi

Doug Griffith
05-04-2013, 11:04 AM
I would contact them back and request a few sample covers for you to test. Hard and soft. Inform them that there are many different plastics (many are custom formulations) and that you want to provide them the best possible end product. Once you get the samples, experiment away.

Cindy Rhoades
05-06-2013, 8:27 AM
Doug I have already done that and they sent me a large box of various covers that they are wanting to see if I can have success with. I am not one to give up so I will make it happen it is just going to take abit of experimenting. They will also be emailing me the specs on what the different cases are made of.

Doug Griffith
05-06-2013, 9:25 AM
Once a solution is found, I'd put it through the paces (abuse it) to the point where I'm comfortable sending it out the door. You don't want your job coming back after a few weeks in service because of adhesion failure. Phone covers take a lot of abuse. The fact that there's a soft plastic version would make me extra cautious.

Ross Moshinsky
05-06-2013, 9:54 AM
Once a solution is found, I'd put it through the paces (abuse it) to the point where I'm comfortable sending it out the door. You don't want your job coming back after a few weeks in service because of adhesion failure. Phone covers take a lot of abuse. The fact that there's a soft plastic version would make me extra cautious.

All of these reasons are why I'd probably turn away this business. I'm confused why the logo wasn't molded into the design if they are the manufacturer. If they are a consumer, I'd seriously consider outsourcing the job to a pad printer.

That's just based on my experience.

Joe Pelonio
05-06-2013, 8:13 PM
See if the "soft plastic" is really silicone. I recently got a new case for mine and it's silicone, nothing will stick to it but it did engrave OK.

James Noe
05-31-2013, 12:58 PM
So do you paint first then laser or laser thru a mask and paint fill? I have just bought several plastic mugs that I with a silicone band I thought would be dark. They turned out as white (my bad) and just is not showing up. If I Mask and laser then fill with the auto paint that may work... not sure.
I tried to vector thru the silicone band but have not gotten it right yet. About to chalk up to poor judgement and learning experience.