PDA

View Full Version : cats

ray hampton
05-02-2013, 11:24 PM
How can I keep the neighbors cats off of my riding mower which are keep outside and they got a trail in the grass from walking the same path so many times

curtis rosche
05-02-2013, 11:47 PM
capture then in a live trap and sell them. after warning the neighbor of course

Greg Peterson
05-02-2013, 11:52 PM
What about one of those motion sensor sprinklers?

Erik Loza
05-03-2013, 1:23 AM
What about one of those motion sensor sprinklers?

This ^^^, or possibly a tarp over the mower?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Stephen K Davion
05-03-2013, 1:57 AM
Ask the neighbors to keep them away from your home and also tell them that its not your responsibility if something happened to them while your using riding mover. or just lock them in your home and release them once your done with riding mover

Stephen Tashiro
05-03-2013, 2:17 AM
Are they attracted to the mower because it's warm? Or does it have a padded seat they like?

Harvey M. Taylor
05-03-2013, 5:17 AM
I like the tarp idea suggested above.Max

Tom Fischer
05-03-2013, 5:53 AM
At least you won't have mice, which is a much bigger problem than cats.

Jim Koepke
05-03-2013, 12:34 PM
People with cats do not "own" their cats. The cats own them.

It always seems funny that people who do not own pets somehow feel the animals care givers are able to tell them to stop catching birds, digging in someone else's garden or sleeping in a comfortable place.

Does the cat like to sleep on the seat?

If that is the case, make the seat less attractive with a 5 gallon bucket. Maybe put some moth balls in a porous container on the seat.

The trick is to think like the cat and help it to decide there is some place else they would rather sleep. Maybe a secure, comfortable spot that they can be enticed into using with a little cat nip.

One of the cats that came with our house likes to sleep in our greenhouse at times. To keep her from curling up on top of a flat of plants I placed a cushioned mat in an empty flat and she now sleeps in it.

jtk

ray hampton
05-03-2013, 1:02 PM

It always seems funny that people who do not own pets somehow feel the animals care givers are able to tell them to stop catching birds, digging in someone else's garden or sleeping in a comfortable place.

If that is the case, make the seat less attractive with a 5 gallon bucket. Maybe put some moth balls in a porous container on the seat.

The trick is to think like the cat and help it to decide there is some place else they would rather sleep. Maybe a secure, comfortable spot that they can be enticed into using with a little cat nip.

One of the cats that came with our house likes to sleep in our greenhouse at times. To keep her from curling up on top of a flat of plants I placed a cushioned mat in an empty flat and she now sleeps in it.

jtk

the moth balls is good tip but maybe the cat will be better than a family of mice so I decide to leave the cat along except I will keep the seat off-limits by placing the seat in a up position

Lee Schierer
05-03-2013, 2:20 PM
Try one of these. We bought one to keep our cat off the counters and table. It senses the cats and lets out a harmless burst of pressurized air. Cats don't like it. It automatically resets and is ready for the next cat.261559

ray hampton
05-03-2013, 3:40 PM
Are they attracted to the mower because it's warm? Or does it have a padded seat they like?

LOL, I bought a custom tarp [dark grey ] and think that it are warmer under the tarp

ray hampton
05-03-2013, 5:56 PM
Try one of these. We bought one to keep our cat off the counters and table. It senses the cats and lets out a harmless burst of pressurized air. Cats don't like it. It automatically resets and is ready for the next cat.261559

3 ? where can we buy this ? how many dollars do we need for 2 cans ? what do you call this ?

Tom Fischer
05-03-2013, 6:14 PM
At least you won't have mice, which is a much bigger problem than cats.
For the cat people out there, here's the DWs two cats.
Ragdolls
They both sleep on the bed every night + the 60 lb. Irish setter

Lee Schierer
05-03-2013, 10:28 PM
3 ? where can we buy this ? how many dollars do we need for 2 cans ? what do you call this ? Just google search for SSSCat and you will find several sources. It is available at Amazon, Pet Smart and others. Cost varies, but Amazon has it for $25. It comes with one can, but refills are available. One can lasts quite a while.

Gary Hodgin
05-04-2013, 12:50 AM
If they're on the seat, I'd sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on it.

John Coloccia
05-04-2013, 4:35 AM
Just curious....why do you care if the cats are on the mower? Personally, I encourage my neighbor's cat to come by. Sometimes, when I have my shop door open, it just waltzes in and hangs out while I work. I feed it tuna sometimes. It keeps away the mice. Unless it's causing damage, why not just leave him alone?

Curt Harms
05-04-2013, 9:10 AM

jtk

She didn't prefer the box it came in?:D

ray hampton
05-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Just curious....why do you care if the cats are on the mower? Personally, I encourage my neighbor's cat to come by. Sometimes, when I have my shop door open, it just waltzes in and hangs out while I work. I feed it tuna sometimes. It keeps away the mice. Unless it's causing damage, why not just leave him alone?

the cats may keep the mice away BUT A FREE MEAL DO NOT GIVE THEM A PERMIT TO URINE AND MARK MY MOWER AS THEIR with their pee

Harold Burrell
05-04-2013, 1:56 PM
the cats may keep the mice away BUT A FREE MEAL DO NOT GIVE THEM A PERMIT TO URINE AND MARK MY MOWER AS THEIR with their pee

Well there is your answer then...

YOU pee on the mower and the cats will see that it is yours.

;)

Peter Kelly
05-04-2013, 2:21 PM
As above, a pellet or Airsoft rifle will remedy the situation pretty quickly.

ray hampton
05-04-2013, 2:46 PM
Well there is your answer then...

YOU pee on the mower and the cats will see that it is yours.

;)

I got too-many female neighbors to do this

Chuck Wintle
05-04-2013, 3:51 PM
a spray of water works to keep cats away..its just how to spray the water when they come around?

John Coloccia
05-04-2013, 6:21 PM
Shoot it with a pellet gun. Seriously, Peter? Shoot the neighbor's pet?

Hey, Ray. If peeing is the problem, you need to do two things:

1) clean the area. They have enzymes that will remove the pee smell. If you don't do that, the cat will always come back.
2) there are things you can plant to keep them away. There's some citronella plant that cats HATE. Put a couple of those around your shed/equipment/whatever, and the cats will go elsewhere

Harold Burrell
05-04-2013, 7:35 PM

Well, I do think that is a better option than shooting the neighbor.

Peter Kelly
05-04-2013, 9:57 PM
The world isn't running out of cats.

Scott T Smith
05-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Ray, hands down, this fellow has the best approach to discouraging cats that I've seen! The video is gut busting funny too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

ray hampton
05-05-2013, 3:31 PM

1) clean the area. They have enzymes that will remove the pee smell. If you don't do that, the cat will always come back.
2) there are things you can plant to keep them away. There's some citronella plant that cats HATE. Put a couple of those around your shed/equipment/whatever, and the cats will go elsewhere

I know nothing about citronella plants but you can buy a pot with citronella in it to keep flying bugs away, will this wax work if it are in the pot

ray hampton
05-05-2013, 3:43 PM

I wonder if the wax in a citronella torch will work if it are spread around where you do not want the cats to go

John Coloccia
05-05-2013, 3:43 PM
I know nothing about citronella plants but you can buy a pot with citronella in it to keep flying bugs away, will this wax work if it are in the pot

Ask around at your local nursery. I wish I knew the name of the plant. It's different than the citronella candles...it's an actual plant that they just really don't like.

ray hampton
05-05-2013, 5:03 PM
Ask around at your local nursery. I wish I knew the name of the plant. It's different than the citronella candles...it's an actual plant that they just really don't like.

did a search for citronella plant, one plant that I remember is marigold , it got a odor that I will stay away from

Jerry Thompson
05-05-2013, 6:24 PM
My wife and I had the pleasure of raising a Bob Cat My son worked @ the St Augustine Alligator Farm. A female had twins. One was born dead and the mother rejected the other. The next thing my wife knew was she was again a mother. The facility Vet sent the kitten to us to die we found out later. My wife followed the Vet's directions and fed the little one on a frequent schedule with an eye dropper. At night the kitten resided in a cardboard box @ my wife's side of the bed. In the box was a hot water bottle and a wind up clock. If the kitten made any sound in the night my wife would tend to it. The kitten grew but @ a slower rate than a house cat. She never put out her claws to anyone nor did she bite. We had a 70 lb. male Samoyed and he and the kitten were pals. He would hold the kitten down and wash within an inch of her life. She played like a house cat and slept in our bed. We knew going in that we would not be able to keep her so we turned her over to a couple who rescued animals. We went to see twice. She recognized us both and would rub all over me. She would then very pointedly go to a corner of her huge enclosure and turn her back on me. This was her signal for me to chase her. All in all it was a one in a million life time experience we will cherish to the end of our days. Sorry about no paragraphs but hitting enter will not move the cursor.

Jim Matthews
05-05-2013, 8:30 PM
Ray, hands down, this fellow has the best approach to discouraging cats that I've seen! The video is gut busting funny too!

I have fond memories of "Beyond 2000" produced with a similar voice-over.
That was better than most Hollywood movies, for pure laughs.

ray hampton
05-05-2013, 8:31 PM
My wife and I had the pleasure of raising a Bob Cat My son worked @ the St Augustine Alligator Farm. A female had twins. One was born dead and the mother rejected the other. The next thing my wife knew was she was again a mother. The facility Vet sent the kitten to us to die we found out later. My wife followed the Vet's directions and fed the little one on a frequent schedule with an eye dropper. At night the kitten resided in a cardboard box @ my wife's side of the bed. In the box was a hot water bottle and a wind up clock. If the kitten made any sound in the night my wife would tend to it. The kitten grew but @ a slower rate than a house cat. She never put out her claws to anyone nor did she bite. We had a 70 lb. male Samoyed and he and the kitten were pals. He would hold the kitten down and wash within an inch of her life. She played like a house cat and slept in our bed. We knew going in that we would not be able to keep her so we turned her over to a couple who rescued animals. We went to see twice. She recognized us both and would rub all over me. She would then very pointedly go to a corner of her huge enclosure and turn her back on me. This was her signal for me to chase her. All in all it was a one in a million life time experience we will cherish to the end of our days. Sorry about no paragraphs but hitting enter will not move the cursor.

thank you for a amazing story

Jim Matthews
05-05-2013, 8:35 PM
The Sscat and refills are available at PetSmart, and on line.

It's basically the same propellant used to clean photo equipment, with a photoeye.
I had mixed results with these (neighbor's cat was leaving piles on my porch - better view than his house, I suppose).

Discussions with the neighbors, and photographic evidence made no difference.

I began to collect the offerings and leave them on the neighbors front steps.
The cat was no longer a problem, after that.

I've heard that leaving gallon jugs of water dissuade cats from marking, but that's apocryphal.

If they're spraying - traps and a call to animal control are appropriate responses.
It's your property, you're entitled to refuse visitors.

Bill Cunningham
05-05-2013, 9:50 PM
One word... 'Daisy'

Sam Murdoch
05-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Make up a pad with duct tape or double stick tape and set that where the cat(s) are getting too comfortable. The sticky side up and the more aggressive the tack the more discouraged the cats will be.

ray hampton
05-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Make up a pad with duct tape or double stick tape and set that where the cat(s) are getting too comfortable. The sticky side up and the more aggressive the tack the more discouraged the cats will be.

A cardboard frame and duct tape sticky side up are worth trying after it stop raining

Jim Matthews
05-06-2013, 7:11 PM
One word... 'Daisy'

This side of the 49th parallel, that will get you jail time.
No kidding.

Rick Christopherson
05-06-2013, 8:31 PM
In his early years, Jeffrey Dahmer had the same disregard for animal life that some posters have exhibited in this thread....before he moved on to bigger things.......

Then, just a couple days ago we have a news story (http://www.theprovince.com/life/Abbotsford+police+hunting+youths+caught+camera/8336114/story.html) of kids getting their kicks out of beating a mothering goose nearly to death in Abbotsford just for the heck of it......

It sickens me to think that there are people out there that have such a low disregard for life. No I am not PETA! I am a 100% carnivore, and I'm not talking about killing animals for consumption. I am talking about the disregard for that life to take it for kicks, fun, or entertainment.

Those posters that were suggesting killing a cat as though it was humorous, are just one step away from the mentality of the disregard for any life that Jeffery Dahmer had when he extended it to human life. Or worse, are just one step away from blowing up a crowd of innocent people standing on the sidewalk watching a marathon.

When you don't care about life, there is little distinction between large life and small life. You are very scary!

ray hampton
05-06-2013, 9:14 PM
In his early years, Jeffrey Dahmer had the same disregard for animal life that some posters have exhibited in this thread....before he moved on to bigger things.......

Then, just a couple days ago we have a news story (http://www.theprovince.com/life/Abbotsford+police+hunting+youths+caught+camera/8336114/story.html) of kids getting their kicks out of beating a mothering goose nearly to death in Abbotsford just for the heck of it......

It sickens me to think that there are people out there that have such a low disregard for life. No I am not PETA! I am a 100% carnivore, and I'm not talking about killing animals for consumption. I am talking about the disregard for that life to take it for kicks, fun, or entertainment.

Those posters that were suggesting killing a cat as though it was humorous, are just one step away from the mentality of the disregard for any life that Jeffery Dahmer had when he extended it to human life. Or worse, are just one step away from blowing up a crowd of innocent people standing on the sidewalk watching a marathon.

When you don't care about life, there is little distinction between large life and small life. You are very scary!

I not sure about kids that harass wild geese but some older people got jail time for their bad treatment of animals in this tri-state area , a goose was on the local x-way and the police stop the traffic so that the goose could be move to a safe haven, deer and smaller animals get hit with cars or trucks daily,

Bill Cunningham
05-07-2013, 8:49 PM
This side of the 49th parallel, that will get you jail time.
No kidding.

There's no location on your profile. Would you be north or south of the 49th?
North, as long as your not in a city, you can use pretty well what ever you want on pests.
40 years ago, a particularly nasty dog was in my yard growling at my kids. In that case I didn't use the Daisy.

ray hampton
05-07-2013, 9:21 PM
There's no location on your profile. Would you be north or south of the 49th?
North, as long as your not in a city, you can use pretty well what ever you want on pests.
40 years ago, a particularly nasty dog was in my yard growling at my kids. In that case I didn't use the Daisy.

south of the 49th , the weather and the gun profile standing will change about at the same speed as soon as you drive from one city to a different one, I hope that Canada are more tolerant

Bill Cunningham
05-11-2013, 11:21 PM
south of the 49th , the weather and the gun profile standing will change about at the same speed as soon as you drive from one city to a different one, I hope that Canada are more tolerant

Only in the rural areas Ray.. Citiots are Citiots on 'both' sides of the border..

Anthony Diodati
05-12-2013, 12:19 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This,
What are the cats hurting?
OMG they wore a path in the Grass, OMG!
Worry about something important.

Well if there peeing on it, that's different.

ray hampton
05-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Only in the rural areas Ray.. Citiots are Citiots on 'both' sides of the border..

How can anyone know when they cross the 49 parallel unless every foot of it are mark ? I'm referring
to Eastern Canada

Bill Cunningham
05-14-2013, 10:24 PM
How can anyone know when they cross the 49 parallel unless every foot of it are mark ? I'm referring
to Eastern Canada

I think now, the drones may spot you.. :eek:

Curt Harms
05-15-2013, 8:12 AM

Thank you, Bill. You expanded my vocabulary today.:D

David Weaver
05-15-2013, 9:51 AM

Is this offered as intentional extreme overexaggeration?

Jason Roehl
05-15-2013, 1:09 PM
I would think that if a pet owner cared about their pets, they would not let said pets roam freely where harm may befall them. And the only place where one can have some measure of guarantee that their own pets are safe is on their own property. My cats stay inside where they are healthy and happy, not relieving themselves on my neighbors' property. Four-legged animals that wander onto my property are pests and are generally treated as such. I've found that Daisy tends to make very persuasive arguments against their return.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-15-2013, 4:51 PM
Getting this thread back on topic to the original post.

Cats are like deer, frogs, birds and any other animal. They do what they want, but do have the ability to learn. For every example someone gives that will "cure" the animal of doing something we humans don't want them to do, there will be an animal that will ignore or even like that "cure." There is no "one answer fits all" when it comes to resolving this problem.

Some non-lethal things you can try to discourage the cats from getting on your equipment: Cat-deterrent spray purchased at pet & feed stores, cat-deterrent plants, small strips of double-sided tape, Scat Mat, Tin Foil, pepper, plastic carpet runners upside-down so the pokey things are sticking up, squirt gun, motion sensitive sprinkler. The OP mentions a mower. If possible, flip the seat up or put a milk carton over it.

You can train most any animal simple things via routines - such as sheep coming in from pasture for their daily snack at 4pm or a fish seeing a living room light turn on and it knows it's about to be fed and rises to the surface. Training a cat to stay off equipment may not happen in 1 try if it has a routine already established.

There is also another simple alternative. We humans are supposed to have the higher intelligence, so use that intelligence to come up with a solution. Cats like to climb and sit on high things and survey the area. Give the cat a comfy spot that it will like better then the mower. It may thank you by eliminating rodents. :)

Ben Hatcher
05-15-2013, 5:28 PM
...It may thank you by eliminating rodents. :)
More likely, it will thank you by sitting under your bird feeder killing anything it can.

ray hampton
05-15-2013, 5:32 PM

Cats are like deer, frogs, birds and any other animal. They do what they want, but do have the ability to learn. For every example someone gives that will "cure" the animal of doing something we humans don't want them to do, there will be an animal that will ignore or even like that "cure." There is no "one answer fits all" when it comes to resolving this problem.

Some non-lethal things you can try to discourage the cats from getting on your equipment: Cat-deterrent spray purchased at pet & feed stores, cat-deterrent plants, small strips of double-sided tape, Scat Mat, Tin Foil, pepper, plastic carpet runners upside-down so the pokey things are sticking up, squirt gun, motion sensitive sprinkler. The OP mentions a mower. If possible, flip the seat up or put a milk carton over it.

You can train most any animal simple things via routines - such as sheep coming in from pasture for their daily snack at 4pm or a fish seeing a living room light turn on and it knows it's about to be fed and rises to the surface. Training a cat to stay off equipment may not happen in 1 try if it has a routine already established.

There is also another simple alternative. We humans are supposed to have the higher intelligence, so use that intelligence to come up with a solution. Cats like to climb and sit on high things and survey the area. Give the cat a comfy spot that it will like better then the mower. It may thank you by eliminating rodents. :)

I keep the mower cover-up to keep it dry and I think the the cat or cats was hiding or staying out of the wind,

Curt Harms
05-16-2013, 8:19 AM
I keep the mower cover-up to keep it dry and I think the the cat or cats was hiding or staying out of the wind,

That could very well be it. If it's in the sun, it'd also be warm and offer a wonderful hidey-hole.

Bill Cunningham
05-16-2013, 10:11 PM

I taught mine to fetch..Actually, I think he trained me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbqFB9HFcfw

ray hampton
05-16-2013, 11:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbqFB9HFcfw

that is a smart cat, will you consider teaching two cats to fetch the bottle cap at the same time ?

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-17-2013, 4:01 PM

LOL Yeah. I know the feeling. I had a cat 20-plus years ago that trained me to play fetch too. He would play as long as I would throw his toy. If I didn't play, I would wake up in the middle of the night with the cat on the shelf above the bed and he would drop the toy on my head. If I hid his toy, he would find other things to bring me in the middle of the night. I would wake up with screws, razors, and other various items spread about the covers of my bed. He was totally declawed, so I couldn't send him outside. Cool cat. Acted like a dog, but he drove me nuts at times with his antics! No more indoor cats for me.

I have the 2 outdoor cats trained to come when I whistle. They hunt in the fields and sleep in the pump house. They have earned their room & board with all the rodents they dispatch.

Curt Harms
05-18-2013, 8:16 AM
LOL Yeah. I know the feeling. I had a cat 20-plus years ago that trained me to play fetch too. He would play as long as I would throw his toy. If I didn't play, I would wake up in the middle of the night with the cat on the shelf above the bed and he would drop the toy on my head. If I hid his toy, he would find other things to bring me in the middle of the night. I would wake up with screws, razors, and other various items spread about the covers of my bed. He was totally declawed, so I couldn't send him outside. Cool cat. Acted like a dog, but he drove me nuts at times with his antics! No more indoor cats for me.

I have the 2 outdoor cats trained to come when I whistle. They hunt in the fields and sleep in the pump house. They have earned their room & board with all the rodents they dispatch.

SWMBO refers to 'em as permanent 2 year olds :). Our Maine Coon mix knows where his toys are kept. When he's in the mood he'll climb onto the shelf where his toys are, pick one, drop it to the floor, jump down and proceed to demonstrate skills that would make a professional soccer player jealous. If there's nothing that suits his fancy, he'll open the lazy susan corner cupboard with all kinds of small bottles and other fun things. Pick one up in his mouth, drop it on the floor and bat, bat, BAT!

Tai Fu
05-18-2013, 2:08 PM
Could sell it to a chinese restaurant...

http://youtu.be/NmXxrMC5Pv4

Bill Gugel
05-18-2013, 6:25 PM
a number of mouse traps on top might solve the problem

maximillian arango
12-15-2013, 11:10 PM
I know I am late to the thread but if you are still having this problem I have a simple solution that I did with my cats; wrap the seat with aluminum foil and they will not come back. There is something about aluminum foil that cats hate so they will not go on it, now my cats don't scratch my couches and don't go on the dinner table or kitchen counter.

Again I know I'm late I just want to make sure that the cats don't drive you to hurt them, they don't know any better.

Tai Fu
12-15-2013, 11:21 PM
that is really impractical..

Jeff Erbele
12-16-2013, 2:06 AM
For a few humane solutions click on this: 277233

Jeff Erbele
12-16-2013, 4:09 AM
I was going to suggest hand grenades :eek: but seeing how Daisy didn't go over very well :rolleyes: here are several lower, low impact alternatives.

Wiki it - Wikipedia:
Crystals - A more traditional cat repeller is to use jelly-like crystals containing methyl nonyl ketone, designed to be scattered around the garden, or around the areas the cat likes to foul. These repellents give off a smell that is very unpleasant to the cat, causing it to avoid that place.

Citronella - Citronella oil, famous for repelling insects, can also be used to get rid of cats. Citronella sticks are a common form, coming in citronella-impregnated plastic "repeller sticks".

Mix a concoction or three - For the those with an interest in the culinary arts:
How to Make Homemade Cat Repellent (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Cat-Repellent)

Buy Stuff - Lotions & Potions from the pet store:
Repellents & Training (http://www.petco.com/N_23_140/Cat-Repellents-and-Training.aspx)

Build Stuff - For the person that likes to tinker with electronics, or the novice that wants to learn:
Simple Sonic Cat Repeller (http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Sonic-Cat-Repeller/)

For the gardeners & landscaper types:
There's more than one way to skin a cat. A cat only has 9 lives; here's:
10 Cat Repellents: How to Keep Cats Away From Your Yard (http://landscaping.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/cat_repellents.htm)
Wire, Water and Thinking Like a Cat

277235 << Ya? ...until I push the starter button :D

You could wire the garden tractor with a pressure switch on the seat, hooked to the starter or old car horn clipped to the battery. HONK!
...or a really old horn, AHhh Uu Gha!!

Tai Fu
12-16-2013, 5:04 AM
Or this..

Did you ever think when you eat chinese
It aint pork or chicken but a fat siamese
But the food taste great, so you don't complain
But that not chicken in your chicken chow mien...

maximillian arango
12-16-2013, 4:41 PM
I only did it for a week and haven't had a problem in 2 years, yes it sucked the week I was doing this for but after that week I have never had this problem again

Brian Ashton
12-16-2013, 10:31 PM

Maybe just maybe "citiots" have learned to walk upright and thus have learned that shooting any and everything doesn't solve much...

Peter Kelly
12-17-2013, 1:34 AM

Peter Kelly
12-17-2013, 1:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goZ2DqMnaGc

Mike Cruz
12-17-2013, 7:18 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how we have to figure out, spend money, and take the time and effort to control other peoples' pets. Especially cats... Why is it "okay" that other peoples' cats roam our property? Just because people associate cats with the benefit of mouse eating, it seems to be "okay". Personally, I'd rather take care of whatever mouse and mole problem I may have on my own. I'm not a fan of cats. Don't hate them intrinsically, just not a fan. I AM a dog person, however. And having neighbors' cats on my property actually causes a problem. My dogs will chase them (through whatever brush and briars they have to...which has lead to a trip to the vet before), eat their poop, and we occasionally find animal parts from their meals. And before you say "why don't you control your dogs?", my dogs are on MY property. Other peoples' cats should be on theirs!

To answer the question directly, I would contact the neighbor and tell them to do what they have to or you will. Then start trapping them. If that doesn't work, warning shots with a 22. Finally, if the cats don't stay away from warning shots... well.... you know MY advice from there.

Brian Ashton
12-17-2013, 8:59 AM
To answer the question directly, I would contact the neighbor and tell them to do what they have to or you will. Then start trapping them. If that doesn't work, warning shots with a 22. Finally, if the cats don't stay away from warning shots... well.... you know MY advice from there.

Oh great, we have idiots shooting cats with pellet guns (nothing more than kids toys) that have little if any chance of dispatching any animal quickly or humanely (but damn! It sure will teach that critter a lesson now won't it! when you bury a pellet an inch into it's guts...) now "warning shots" bouncing around the woods and or neighbourhoods... Come on, you guys can't be serious.

Why the hell does everything in the US end at the end of a barrel.

Erik Loza
12-17-2013, 9:15 AM
We are cat owners (indoors only) but I agree that free-roaming cats in rural areas can be a problem. Better (if feral) to trap them humanely and deliver to animal shelter than to think about shooting with any type of pellet gun or rifle. There was an incident here a few years back where a stray .22 round from someone plinking on their property flew almost a mile and killed a child that was playing in their back yard. Cannot condone discharging a gun anywhere ouside a suitable range with backdrop or in an actual hunting environment where bystanders are unlikely to be nearby.

Just my 2-cents.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mike Cruz
12-17-2013, 9:15 AM
Um, Brian, a 22 isn't a pellet gun! And FYI, many pellet guns propel a pellet at 1000-1200 fps which is plenty to not only kill squirrels (and cats), but goes through steel (as in a steel roof in my barn when shooting birds trying to nest). Pellet guns are NOT kids "toys". They are extremely dangerous (especially when thought of as toys).

I live on a 21 acre property. So a warning shot can be quite safe. Of course I wouldn't suggest (sorry that I didn't make this clear earlier) that someone discharge any firearm (whether pellet gun or 30-06) in the suburbs.

If the OP lives in the burbs, I'd say address the issue with the owner. If that doesn't do the trick, trap the cat and put the cat (in the trap) on the front stoop of the owner's house. If that doesn't do the trick, next time you trap the cat, bring it to the shelter. Of course, this al costs you money (traps), and time (setting the traps and doing SOMETHING with the cat)...both things that aren't the OP's responsibility in the first place.

Mike Cruz
12-17-2013, 9:20 AM
A 22's range is about just that...a mile. So, for a stray bullet to travel from a 22 rifle, it would have had to have been aimed at about 45* into the air. The problem wasn't plinking. The problem wasn't that a 22 was used. The problem was irresponsible gun use.

I'm sorry to hear that a child (or anyone) was killed by a firearm undeservedly. Sad story...

Greg Peterson
12-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Just a note to folks condoning the use of bb or pellet guns.

A co-workers cat came home last week, unable to put any weight on his front left leg. X-ray revealed he had been shot (turned out to be a pellet gun) right in the shoulder joint. Whether the shooter was aiming for the heart or not can't say, but he barely missed it. The should joint was completely shattered and the only options were amputate or euthanize. The cat is young so they choose amputation.

Mike Cruz
12-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Greg, I don't condone shooting cats (with bb guns, pellet guns, 22s or otherwise) for the fun of it or the sake of it. Cruelty to cats (or any other animal, domestic or otherwise) should not be tolerated.

If your coworker's cat was shot while "roaming" around, it sounds like he needs to address the issue. BUT if his cat was shot while on HIS property, the shooter should be prosecuted. I mean that. The topic of this discussion was directed at a neighbor's cat on the OP's property. I've noticed (at multiple places where I've lived) that cat owners simply allow (or seem to think there is no problem with) their cats to roam. They say "That is what cats do." I disagree. Just as I disagree that dogs incessant barking is "What dogs do." (And I am a dog owner and lover.) Just like smokers that throw cigarette butts on the ground and don't think it is littering (or a fire hazard presumably). Sorry, I DO take issue with other people's lack of responsibility...especially when it affects others. If you are going to smoke, dispose of your butts properly. If you are going to own a dog, don't let it sit outside and bark for hours on end. If you own a cat, don't let it roam off your property. If you can't do those simple things, you shouldn't smoke, own a dog, or own a cat.

ray hampton
12-17-2013, 3:41 PM
instead of shooting the cats, why not import a wild dog/dingo to hunt the cats, was the pets snakes in the state of Florida turn out to hunt the outdoor cats or small dogs ? [ NO , I not kidding ]

Burt Alcantara
12-17-2013, 4:43 PM
Dust the mower with ground red chili pepper. We have to do this when our cats decide to take a dump in the yard. Works every time.

ray hampton
12-17-2013, 5:08 PM
Dust the mower with ground red chili pepper. We have to do this when our cats decide to take a dump in the yard. Works every time.

sound like a good idea but how can we spread the pepper without the WIND removing it

Dave Sheldrake
12-17-2013, 8:08 PM
If something is not a threat to life of either an innocent, a family member or me I fail to see the need to shoot at it.

At 440 yards (1/4 mile) a standard .22 LR round will have dropped 374 inches and retain 33 FtLb of energy.

Shooting or attempting to shoot at a domestic Cat in the UK almost always carries jail time no matter what the location (Cats are not considered dangerous animals here)

cheers

Dave