PDA

View Full Version : Augusta/ Atlanta GA

Steve Forssberg
05-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I will be traveling in the Atlanta and Augusta GA area next week for business. Any suggestions on woodworking related places to see during the evenings. Stores...Museums...etc.

I am planning on stopping by highland woodworking.

thanks

Curt Harms
05-03-2013, 8:01 AM
Redmond Machinery is a fun place to go and drool but I don't know that they have evening hours.

jim gossage
05-04-2013, 6:38 AM
Steve,
I live in Augusta and can't really think of anything wood related besides the lumber section at the BORG. Atlanta however has many - Rockler, Peachtree woodworking, Highland woodworking, Redmond machinery, Woodcraft, and Atlanta Hardwoods (my favorite). Several of these are open on Sat until 12 or so but I'm not sure if any are open past 5 or 6p during the week.

John A langley
05-04-2013, 7:54 AM
Highland Woodworking
1045 Highland ave
Atlanta
Open 9 to 6

Todd Hyman
05-07-2013, 8:47 PM
For lumber there is Suwanee Hardwoods in Suwanne and Peachstate Hardwoods in Acworth.

Danny Hamsley
05-07-2013, 9:01 PM
Too bad that you are not near Perry. You could come by and see my sawmill. Even mill a few boards.

Joe Shinall
05-08-2013, 8:46 PM
Peachtree Woodworking store is a nice place along with Highland. I am in Savannah so everytime I go up to Atlanta I hit Highland, Peachtree, and Rockler.

Kent A Bathurst
05-08-2013, 9:06 PM
Sorry, guys...........

Highland is the only place to go. The others do not compare.

For lumber - that's not such a big deal because you won't be filling up your suitcase, but if you want to, then Peach State is the one - out there in May-Retta.

Joe Shinall
05-09-2013, 9:09 PM
Kent, I love Highland, favorite place to go while I'm up there. But Rockler and Peachtree and Rockler have store brand versions of products that Highland doesn't carry and its nice to go to those 2 and see them first hand. I have bought many small store brand tools from those 2 that Highland only carried the expensive name brand. I definitely agree it's an awesome place. But if I have time, I always hit the others just for that reason.

Steve Forssberg
05-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I made it to highland on this trip. Nice selection of high end hand tools. Not much for large power tools on display. The staff impressed me. The staff was knowledgable, fiendly, and available. I will try to hit redmound on my next trip. If anyone is in the des moines, iowa area, you should check out woodsmith store. They carry a complete range of tools including large power tools. Woodsmith store is still the best woodworking store I have seen my type of projects. Thanks again for the recommendations.