PDA

View Full Version : Quick Shop Project: "Screw House"

Jim Becker
05-15-2005, 6:45 PM
After mowing the lawn including some extra trimming, there wasn't enough time to start anything major in the shop and I still need to draw the sketches for the bench cabinet, anyway. So I put together something I've been wanting to do for a long time...a "Screw House" for the most popular sizes I use in projects. I suppose it could have been slightly smaller, but I buy these three sizes in bulk...no harm in having some extra room to stock up when it's convenient!

This is made of scrap 1/2" birch plywood and 1/8" Lexan. It measures 15" wide by 15" tall by 7 1/2" deep and is assembled with glue and brads. Simple and quick. If I even uncover some wall space, I can use a French cleat to mount it. Otherwise, it has a home on the miter station just behind my bench...a handy place for me.

Pics: (Taken with my new "travel" camera...a Nikon CoolPix S1...tiny little thing. 5 Megapixels)

The sides and dividers, after cutting rectangles to size on the TS were further cut on the bandsaw. This shot is of the angled cuts for the "grab area".
The sides and dividers are assembled to the back first with glue and brads.
Everything is then locked together with the front of the lower bin and a narrow strip at the top.
The bottom and top complete the wooden assembly...the top is hinged to allow filling of the three bins while keeping the dust out normally.
Filled (well...partially) and ready to go!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-15-2005, 6:53 PM
Looks great. If you catch any sales, you will be able to stock up now!

Ken Garlock
05-15-2005, 6:54 PM
Jim uses screws. Jim uses screws. Jim uses screws. :eek: :D :D Next you will be telling us about using Bradzzzz "until the glue drys." ;)

Jim, I like it. Simple and efficient. I need to build a box like that for my miscellaneous hoard of screws. Nice job.

Don Abele
05-15-2005, 6:57 PM
Jim, it reminds me of bins I've seen filled with candy or coffee beans. Excellent idea - massive storage. I use the plastic bins as I don't quiet buy my screws in the quantities it looks like you do. Congrats on a great idea.

Be well,

Doc

Jim Becker
05-15-2005, 7:09 PM
Jim uses screws. Jim uses screws. Jim uses screws. :eek: :D :D Next you will be telling us about using Bradzzzz "until the glue drys." ;)

Well...I did use bradzzz "until the glue dries" on this one! (Instead of screws...:p )

Ted Shrader
05-15-2005, 7:14 PM
Jim -

Great idea. Looks like McFeely's (http://www.mcfeelys.com/) screws filling those bins.

Another storage idea for those that don't want/need quite so many screws on hand (blatantly stolen from Keith Outen) - Cut the top off plastic oil containers, clean, and mark the size with a Sharpie on the narrow side. Easy to store and find the correct size on the shelf. The container will sit handily on the bench next to your work when you need them.

Thanks for the pictures, Jim.

Regards,
Ted

Jim Becker
05-15-2005, 7:18 PM
Looks like McFeely's (http://www.mcfeelys.com/) screws filling those bins.

Only thing I use...Robertson/Square Drive. Small quantities of sizes that I use sporatically are all in plastic bins in steel racks on the wall.

John Shuk
05-15-2005, 7:45 PM
Jim -

Great idea. Looks like McFeely's (http://www.mcfeelys.com/) screws filling those bins.

Another storage idea for those that don't want/need quite so many screws on hand (blatantly stolen from Keith Outen) - Cut the top off plastic oil containers, clean, and mark the size with a Sharpie on the narrow side. Easy to store and find the correct size on the shelf. The container will sit handily on the bench next to your work when you need them.

Thanks for the pictures, Jim.

Regards,
Ted
This is another chance to use some woodworking skills though! Great idea Jim.
John

Richard Wolf
05-15-2005, 7:51 PM
Jim, that looks great. I think you should find a permenent stop for it before you fill it up. Should be pretty heavy.

Richard

Thomas Prondzinski
05-15-2005, 7:58 PM
Jim
I have built five of those and have four of them full,general screws and pocket hole screws. Hung them on a french cleat so I can take them with to the bench or wherever. Very nice to have.

Tom

Christian Aufreiter
05-15-2005, 8:03 PM
Maybe it's a little oversized :) but it certainly looks unique.
I think it would take up all shop space if you used those houses for all the screws, biscuits, dowels and other hardware you own :D .

Regards,

Christian

Jim Becker
05-15-2005, 8:55 PM
Maybe it's a little oversized :) but it certainly looks unique.
I think it would take up all shop space if you used those houses for all the screws, biscuits, dowels and other hardware you own.

I think this is definitely something for the things you use in volume, not for all the doo-dads! 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 2" screws are what I use a lot of, both in the shop and elsewhere, so I buy the "big boxes". Rather than have those boxes molder on a shelf and taking up space from other things...like turning blanks...with just a small quantity of each size living in little plastic bins no longer made sense.

BTW, this thing is very similar or nearly the same as something that's been published by one of the mags...maybe ShopNotes or WOOD Magazine...I don't remember.

Jerry Olexa
05-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Good idea Jim! I like the french cleat idea for portability! Nice job!

Tim Morton
05-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Very cool Jim, and I am going to whip up something like it tommorrow. thanks for the idea.:D

Corey Hallagan
05-15-2005, 11:34 PM
That is a pretty neat idea Jim, and will hold a ton of screws. Your favorite sizes are close to mine, I opt for 1 5/8 vs 1 1/2 ..... looks great! That looks like a great idea for me to put my Kreg screws in ( only a little smaller .

Corey

P.S. Jim is that your pocket hole screw cache? If so do you buy other than Kreg screws?

Mark Singer
05-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Very well designed Jim....it gives a new meaning to the term "screw house":)

Randy Meijer
05-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Looks like JB found a good place for his loose screws??:D :D

Kelly C. Hanna
05-16-2005, 1:38 AM
Hey that's a great idea Jim! Now I can get rid of all my coffee cans in the shop...thanks!

Jim Becker
05-16-2005, 8:30 AM
P.S. Jim is that your pocket hole screw cache? If so do you buy other than Kreg screws?

No, I don't have the pocket screws in there, but may substitute them for the 2". My "bulk" pockets screws also came from McFeeley's.

Jason Tuinstra
05-16-2005, 12:20 PM
So Jim, was this a chance to acutally build something or just get some time in on the new Nikon? :D Nice little stealth gloat there :p

Seriously, nice simple project there. I'm sure that will help out with organization and speedy access to those screws. Nice job.

Matt Meiser
05-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Jim, it reminds me of bins I've seen filled with candy or coffee beans.

I was thinking the same thing. So when are you going to make one for next to that fancy coffee machine, Jim?

John Miliunas
05-16-2005, 1:34 PM
Nice job, Jim and thanks for the great idea! As you (and someone else) mentioned, French cleats and you have a "portable" dispenser! Cool!:) :cool: