PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning and Martial Arts...

Ralph Lindberg
05-02-2013, 12:56 PM
At first glance these might appear to be completely unrelated topics, but they actually are.

The point being both stress stances, body positioning and body movement.

For example, when turning bowls and vessels I often find myself moving from say, front-stance to back-stance (and back), or from left-tiger to right-tiger. While I often find myself in a "natural" or horse stance when doing spindle work.

Watching demonstrators I can often tell, from the way they move, if they have any martial arts training.

Reed Gray
05-02-2013, 1:10 PM
I started woodturning long before I picked up Tai Chi. When I started Tai Chi, I found out I already knew many of the movements of the foot stances and weight shifting. Stability, fluid motion, and breathing, which most of us really never think about.

robo hippy

Brian Kent
05-02-2013, 1:29 PM
No martial arts, but I found recently that the fluid stance of turning has changed the way I brush on varnish - moving more with my legs rather than arm and wrist.

Dan Forman
05-02-2013, 6:03 PM
Not to mention the mental aspects - one had better be fully present in the moment to participate in either activity!

Dan

Karl Card
05-02-2013, 6:23 PM
I tend to agree. I do not like to move just my hands, I like to move my whole body when I am turning something. This gives me a better view of what I am doing and also gives me more control over what I am doing. I love martial arts with a passion and have a cousin who is very good, Don the dragon Wilson.