PDA

View Full Version : Pen Turning Question - Start Up Supplies

Glen Blanchard
05-02-2013, 8:42 AM
I've been turning for almost a year now, but have never attmepted to turn a pen. I know that I'll need a mandrel and barrel trimmer and some optional stuff like a drilling vise, etc. I'm trying to figure out from whom to purchase this stuff. Penn State? Craft Supply? I want to be certain I don't buy cheap stuff that will need to be replaced in six months. I have had very limited experience with Penn State, but for some reason (and perhaps unfairly) I view them as being a discount house selling stuff that is a notch or two below their competition. This may be totally unfounded. So is there any difference in the quality of this kind of stuff from one retailer to another?

Mark Detrick
05-02-2013, 9:05 AM
I think that you will find for the most part, that the quality of the items from PSI is on par with CSUSA. PSI does sell some things on Amazon and they also have some resellers. As for quick shipping and customer support I ( just my personal opinion ) find that CSUSA is far better.

Edit: Glen I tried to send you a private message but your mailbox seems to be full. Just wanted to let you know that I am available if you would like to chat with regards to pen making and where to start.

jared herbert
05-02-2013, 9:34 AM
Hello I have turned a fair amount of pens. I found that the best way for me was to use the bushings that I got from penturnersproducts.com worked a lot better than turning the pens on a mandrel. They are a little more expensive by the time you bought the bushings and the recommended center that went with them but gave me a lot better results. I Dont have a commercial drilling vise but made a jig to hold the blank while drilling on the drill press. I dont have a barrel trimmer but use a 4" belt sander sander set in the vertical position with a jig on the table to square the ends, then an old scissors or sharpened screw driver to remove the excess glue from inside the barrel. These things work for me, maybe a way for you to save some money and not buy new stuff but adapt sometools you may already have. JARED

Glen Blanchard
05-02-2013, 9:46 AM
Edit: Glen I tried to send you a private message but your mailbox seems to be full. Just wanted to let you know that I am available if you would like to chat with regards to pen making and where to start.
Sorry, Mark. I saw your attempt at a PM and have since created some room in my inbox. Thanks for the offer.

James Combs
05-02-2013, 9:56 AM
Hello I have turned a fair amount of pens. I found that the best way for me was to use the bushings that I got from penturnersproducts.com worked a lot better than turning the pens on a mandrel. They are a little more expensive by the time you bought the bushings and the recommended center that went with them but gave me a lot better results. I Dont have a commercial drilling vise but made a jig to hold the blank while drilling on the drill press. I dont have a barrel trimmer but use a 4" belt sander sander set in the vertical position with a jig on the table to square the ends, then an old scissors or sharpened screw driver to remove the excess glue from inside the barrel. These things work for me, maybe a way for you to save some money and not buy new stuff but adapt sometools you may already have. JARED
Hi Glen, I have turned a little bit of everything including a couple hundred pens. I agree with Jared on using bushings like the ones from penturnersproducts.com. The method is referred to as "Turning Between Centers" or TBC. It is the method used by most of the best pen turners.
In addition I recommend drilling your blanks on the lathe, however, you will need a drill chuck for your "TAILstock" and a way to chuck up your blanks on the headstock. BTW if you really want to get the best information on pen turning visit the IAP(International Association of Penturners" at penturners.org, especially visit their library.

Jim Burr
05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Check out IAP...the final answer in pen everything!

Kyle Iwamoto
05-02-2013, 11:40 AM
If you want to turn on a mandrel, one of the things I learned the hard way, is MINIMIZE the pressure from the tailstock on the mandrel. Too much pressure, and the heat (I'm guessing here) from turning and sanding, can make the mandrel bow ever so slightly, creating an off center pen. Checking the mandrel, it is always straight, since you check with no tailstock pressure..... Took me quite a few pens to figure it out, since sometimes I put more pressure and that made the off center pens sporadic.

Rodney Hoyle
05-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Glen,

I have turned and sold about 60 pens in the last 2-1/2 months. Pen turning was new to me and was quite a bit of fun. Made a few and gave to family members. Well one day my sister said a friend in her quilting club wanted me to make a pen for her, which I did and the rest is history. I have 2 custom pens to make for one of my co-workers from cherry wood harvested from his f-i-law's property. The first pen was delivered today and the second will include some laser engraving. I don't make a ton of money, but, all materials are paid for and extra cash for new tool's/accessories. I use Penn State and Woodturningz for all my supplies. I have had good luck with all their products and 30 cal. bolt action pens from Penn State are my best and fastest movers. I am waiting to see if I will be selected to display and sell my pens and other turning projects at a local art gallery. I recently saw some pens less expensive and found that the gold plating is only 10k instead of 24k. I have standardized on just a few model pens in 24k gold and a nice selection of wood's/acrylics for blanks. I do a 30 cal. bolt action pen with purpleheart wood and give them to local purple heart recipents as a personal "thank you":) for your service. My sister delivered the first one, a triple purple heart vet, this past week and I am making one for one of our customers who was wounded in Vietnam. Happy turning.;)

Rodney

PS-I will keep my day job!!

Ronald Blue
05-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I have only had experience with PSI and have been pretty satisfied. +1 on the bolt action pens. I have sold several and haven't really tried either. They are a hit with everyone it seems. I like the use of purple heart you are doing Rodney. That's a noble and gracious thing to do.

Dan Masshardt
05-03-2013, 9:07 PM
You are probably a step ahead of a new turner in that you have turning tools, sandpaper etc.

If you have a chuck with pin jaws, you can drill your blanks right there if you have a Jacobs chuck for the tail stock.

I've made lots of pens and never bought a barrel trimmer either. I use a belt disk sander and just make sure the table / fence is at a perfect 90 degrees.

The biggest things are mandrel / mandrel saver / bushings for each style pen or stuff for turning between centers (dead center / possibly specialty bushings) and drill bits, which are likely sizes you won't have around like 10.5mm among many others.

Of course the actual kits which do add up even the cheap ones. Do not assume that you'll recoup costs right away selling them. Take a little while...

The other cost is in finishing supplies. For me that's several bottles of ca glue, accelerator, eee wax and plastic polish ad Micromesh. Varies by person / methods.