PDA

View Full Version : Any 9 or 10 inch bandsaws worth buying for light duty woodwork

tom coleman
05-02-2013, 2:14 AM
I would like to have a small bandsaw but most reviews I've read are fairly negative. Anyone happy with a particular model? I lookd fo reviews on this forum but didn't find any. However, I found a thread on replacing TS with large bandsaw. That could be interesting.

Tai Fu
05-02-2013, 5:23 AM
There might be good ones... if you like breaking standard blades or using special blades that dull much faster than Woodslicers. This is one of the reason why I got rid of the 10" bandsaw I have. Another problem is that most 10" bandsaw with a stand takes up exactly the same amount of floor space as a 14 or 18" bandsaw, making them very inefficient for the amount of space they take up. Personally I think if you wanted something for lighter duty scroll work get a scrollsaw.

scott spencer
05-02-2013, 5:42 AM
The 10" Rikon and nearly identical Craftsman have a pretty good track record for saws in this size class, but they're still small, light, and not overly powerful....all limitations of their size.

Keith Outten
05-02-2013, 7:30 AM
I own a 10" Rikon band saw. I use it for lots of tasks that I prefer not to do on my larger band saw, kind of a sacrificial machine if you will. Its also a great little machine for tight radius work and I have used it to re-saw 4" wide Corian which it cuts surprisingly well. The Rikon is also portable, if I need to I can put it in my van and use it for on site work.

I wouldn't want to rely on the 10" Rikon as the only band saw in my shop but it has its place and it is pretty useful for sign work.

Mike Wilkins
05-02-2013, 9:10 AM
Ditto on the 10" Rikon. Fine machine for light scrolly work. Although I have cut thicker stuff when I did not feel like moving the LT18 to the center of the shop. I believe the Sears machine is identical.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Another yes vote for the Rikon. It's a great little saw, just remember it IS a little saw. As others have said, it's small, light and weak. Works well as a second saw.

Bryan Cramer
05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Wood Workers Journal rated the Skill the best bet for a 9" bench top bandsaw.

Chad Bender
05-02-2013, 12:19 PM
I've got the Craftsman version of the 10" Rikon (for ~$100 cheaper than the Rikon). It works great for small things, and I've even done resawing of 4" maple. I use Timberwolf blades (1/4" 6TPI & 1/2" 3TPI).

Rich Engelhardt
05-02-2013, 2:56 PM
I can tell you one to avoid like the plague.....

The Delta Shopmaster.

If someone pays you $50.00 to take one - you still overpaid for it.

Yes- they are that bad.
I will never own anything made by Delta - new or old - simply because I got taken so bad on the Shopmaster.

Jery Madigan
05-02-2013, 4:01 PM
I have the 10" Crafstman version of the Rikon in addition to my bigger saw and I agree it seems to be the cream of the crop in that size range.

I you will have jsut one, pick up one of the plethora of 14" saws on Craigslist daily

Gus Dundon
05-02-2013, 4:37 PM
10" Rikon band saw. It is inexpensive but works great.