PDA

View Full Version : Stand alone planer - Hammer A3 41D

Michael Koons
05-01-2013, 8:02 PM
I'm looking to upgrade from my Dewalt portable 13" planer and had some questions for the group. I bought a MiniMax sliding TS last year and have thus become interested in the Euro product lines. I recently bought a PM 8" Jointer, so I'm not looking for a Euro J/P combo. I've looked at the usual suspects and have seen a ton of feedback on the Grizzly, PM, General, etc... products. I've also seen tons of posts on Euro combo machines. But I haven't seen too much on the stand alone planers from Felder/Hammer or MiniMax.

MiniMax does not really seem to have anything for the hobbyist and their products look like they're too much for me. I saw the Hammer A3 41D on their website. That product was not even featured in their latest online catalog, nor is there too much information out there.

Does anyone have any feedback on that unit or anything from MM? If not, I'm sure I'd be happy going the PM or Grizzly route. All models I'd look at would have the spiral cutterhead.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rod Sheridan
05-01-2013, 8:34 PM
I've seen the A3-41D in the showroom, it looks like half of the A3-41.

As the owner of an A3 I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again........Rod.

Chris Fournier
05-02-2013, 8:24 PM
While you may own an 8" jointer I'd suggest that you take the time to look at a Euro combo. I had an 8" jointer and a 16" planer when I started. I sold both and got a MM FS30 Smart. One of the best equipment moves I ever made! The shop footprint of the combo machine is less and the quality is superior by far. You will smile every time that you power it up.