PDA

View Full Version : Help with G0490x

Tim Pape
05-01-2013, 6:49 PM
You all have helped me tremendously in the past regarding a capacitor problem with my Grizzly Planer and I'm hoping you can lead me in the right direction on this one. I have a 2 year old G0490x that has served me very well, especially making all my kitchen cabinets. When I start it, it squeals and makes a loud noise while it takes a while to get up to speed. Once it is at speed and I start joining, it will bog down under load and doesn't have much power...it will slow down until you stop feeding any wood until it gets back up to speed. The belt is tight and I know the belt is not slipping. The start capacitor is not leaking. Has anyone experienced this and have any ideas? Could a shaft on the motor come loose?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thank you,
-Tim

Matt Day
05-01-2013, 8:13 PM
Did you try removing the belt and turning the cutterhead and motor by hand? I wonder if a bearing is bad maybe? If not, sounds like a motor problem to me - mine doesn't bog down under anything (well it might if I really tried to).

Scott Reed
05-01-2013, 9:26 PM
I would guess that one of the pulliesis loose. Take the belt off and check the pullies.

Ronald Blue
05-01-2013, 11:20 PM
The squeal sounds like belt but make sure you haven't lost one leg of your 240 volt feed. As Matt mentioned you should make sure everything rotates freely with and then without belt tension. A bearing going bad would also quickly get hot as well as possibly turn free without belt tension against it but when the belt tension is added it would then be hard to turn. Actually my old contractor Craftsman jointer planer exhibited all but the squeal symptoms. I initially thought the motor was going to die on me but it turned out the driven pulley had been running with no key in it for a while. The pulley was ruined but a new one with a new key and it works as good as it ever will again.

Ken Harris
05-02-2013, 6:30 AM
Tim sounds like bearing problem?,or is the belt too tight?.Take the belt off cutterhead should move freely as well as the motor when you hand spin it.Do not keep using your jointer with it making noise find out what the problem is.I just completed installing new cutterhead on my dj20 jointer with new bearings,same jointer as yours.The nachi bearing is 6004-2nse9 and 6005-2nse9 grizzly has an excellent video on how to do this.It would be video of how to replace cutterhead.You can get the bearings from www.accuratebearings.com ask for lynne.

Tom Jacobs
05-02-2013, 1:03 PM
I would check the motor pulley and make sure you have not lost the little metal "key" that keeps the pulley locked in place. I had this problem on mine. The set screw loosened up and the key fell out. Look for a small square indent on the pulley and verify it has a small metal bar in it.

Tim Pape
05-02-2013, 4:57 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, I'm headed down to the shop now to see what I can find out. I'll post the results later.

Tim Pape
05-02-2013, 6:28 PM
Ok you guys were right on the money. The key and set screw are long gone, can't find them anywhere. Motor sounds great on it's own, so should be a simple and cheap fix. Thanks for the help!

Jason Hanko
05-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Ok you guys were right on the money. The key and set screw are long gone, can't find them anywhere. Motor sounds great on it's own, so should be a simple and cheap fix. Thanks for the help!

Glad you found the problem, Tim. This also happened to me with my G0691 (and a few other people Ive read about on here), so it seems like a pretty common issue with this model. Make sure to get some Loctite threadlocker to keep the next key/set screw where they belong!