PDA

View Full Version : removed post

matthew knott
05-01-2013, 5:02 PM
Wondered why, a message would be nice :)

Ron Thompson
05-01-2013, 6:19 PM
I liked your video. Ron

Scott Shepherd
05-01-2013, 6:27 PM
Me too :) I love to watch those machines run.

matthew knott
05-01-2013, 6:35 PM
Cheers Guys,I thought it came out pretty good on the iphone, amazing you would have needed a $1000 camcorder not many years ago. Wonder what 'RULE' I broke, guess i will never know !!!!!!!!

Rich Harman
05-01-2013, 9:06 PM
Just speculating - maybe it was because it advertised your business...

It was a cool video though.

Mike Null
05-02-2013, 6:39 AM
Matthew

Rich is correct. Our rule is no posts promoting one's business ventures or related propositions. That includes mentions of web sites and company names.

We do not always notify members of the reason for deleting a post.

Keith Outten
05-02-2013, 8:35 AM
There are days when there is never enough time to get everything done. Yesterday was one of those days and this afternoon is going to be very busy for me as well. So I have to move through my daily routine very quick on occasion with little time to answer all of the PMs, email and provide the appropriate notifications.

Currently I have a lot of irons in the fire so the next few weeks will be very busy. I am working with a web designer in hopes of getting my company web site created over the next two months. I am attending regular meetings with the local business association trying to organize an annual SawMill Creekfest event here in Gloucester County Virginia. I am marketing my sign shop heavily right now doing research, quotes and bids with three active signs jobs in house currently. My daily schedule here is normally about 3 to 4 hours per day. I have an ADA session scheduled for May 18th and 19th in my shop so I am spending some time cleaning up my shop and preparing for the event and Aaron and i have a major server upgrade coming up next week.

I'm sharing this with everyone so you will understand that the Admin side of The Creek will suffer a bit over the next few weeks but we will get through it as we always have :)

gary l roberts
05-02-2013, 9:12 AM
You go get'em...... the great thing about success is well success. We will survive.

matthew knott
05-02-2013, 9:33 AM
Fair enough, was it the fact i linked to a youtube video, or the contents of the video, i know it engraved a logo but not my companys! Can i do another one with just generic marking and say a qr code that links to sawmill creek or are youtube links a no-no full stop ? Cheers guys

Mike Null
05-02-2013, 9:41 AM
Matthew

I think that would be ok. All we can do is have a look. I liked the last one by the way.

You tube is fine but it must not be one that promotes any business interest you may have. It's one thing for somebody else to promote your site and yet another for you to promote it yourself.

matthew knott
05-02-2013, 3:30 PM
Cool, i will try again, wasnt trying to advertise, be a bit pointless as 95% of members are not in the same county as me, but i see your point, it could get out of hand i guess!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2013, 3:45 PM
Matthew,

If you check the front page of SMC..... currently 166 Members viewing ... 994 Guests viewing .......you will see that there are always more "Guests" viewing SMC than registered Members.

Just because you live in the UK doesn't mean others from the UK aren't viewing here.

Keith Outten
05-03-2013, 8:30 AM
There are between 40 to 60 thousand unique visitors here every day.
Our registered Membership includes people from 42 countries.

BTW, yesterday went well so we are on our way toward a major SawMill Creekfest event for the Spring of 2014. Lots of decisions and arrangements that have to be made but we have a direction and are going to move forward.

matthew knott
05-03-2013, 9:16 AM
Always amazing how many 'usual suspects' active users on a forum compared to how many 'lurkers' that just visit and read what other have said, guess in some ways its good as if everyone posted you would miss out on everything, it would be a mad house .

Liesl Dexheimer
05-03-2013, 1:39 PM
I too had a post that was recently deleted and am unsure why. I was just wondering if anyone knew the approx value of my older model laser.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-03-2013, 1:44 PM
Liesl,

While I didn't remove your post, here's why it was removed. Taken from the Announcement ribbon dated March 19, 2013 at the top of the forum:

Policy Change - What Is It Worth Threads
Threads that are created to ask a question concerning the value of a tool, machine or service that we interpret as a classified advertisement will be moved to the Classifieds Forum if the author is a Contributor or removed from public view for all others.

It is unfortunate that we must escalate the enforcement of this rule. Donations collected by those who post classified advertisements represent a substantial portion of the funds necessary to pay the bills here and keep The Creek flowing for all to enjoy. We provide free access to all of our woodworking forums, the Classifieds Forum is an exception. Our annual donation of six dollars is very reasonable, less than the cost of one classified advertisement in a local newspaper.....basically 50 cents per month.

Please help us by reporting posts that are attempts to advertise items or services for sale in an effort to circumvent our advertising policies.

While some of the Moderators and Administrators are retired, some also work at a job plus have their duties too. Thus time constrictions will sometimes make it difficult to respond to every edited thread, deleted or moved thread. Note, we seldom delete threads but rather move them from public view to the Moderator's Forum.

Dan Hintz
05-03-2013, 2:08 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew the approx value of my older model laser.

These types of threads are removed because they must be placed in the Classifieds area... it would be moved there if you were a Contributor, but as a Member it's just deleted.

Liesl Dexheimer
05-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Ahhh, that explains it. Although I wasn't saying it was for sale...just wondering what it was worth in today's market...

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2013, 11:12 AM
And contrary to what Dan posted.....they aren't deleted, just moved to the Moderators Forum where they are out of the publics view.

To the best of my knowledge, the only threads that get deleted are the threads in the Classifieds Forum. Periodically threads over "X" many months old are deleted as the items for sale are sold. Since I am not involved in cleaning up that forum, I forget the expiration date for threads in that forum.

Rodne Gold
05-04-2013, 11:38 AM
I do physically delete threads which are a blatant contravention of the TOS, albeit erring heavily on the side of leniency. I always do send the thread starter a diplomatic note as to why it's been removed and a suggestion as to where or how to repost.

Gary Hair
05-04-2013, 1:34 PM
And contrary to what Dan posted.....they aren't deleted, just moved to the Moderators Forum where they are out of the publics view.

What's the difference? Out of public view might just as well be deleted...

Rodne Gold
05-04-2013, 1:45 PM
Well, if you physically delete , it's a gonner .. if a post is moved to let's say , the moderators forum , it can be discussed , perhaps edited and re-instated.
Deletions on this forum are ultra rare .. mostly related to advertising a product or a service. I am on many other unrelated forums , like Hifi and cars and the flame wars erupt with regularity resulting in mass deletions and bannings ..this place is quite dull in that regard :)

Walt Langhans
05-04-2013, 3:08 PM
this place is quite dull in that regard :)

Hummmmm Is that a challenge Rodney??? :D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2013, 4:27 PM
What's the difference? Out of public view might just as well be deleted...

Gary,

Rodney is dead on. Once "hard deleted" they are gone.

Personally I will move a thread to the Moderators Forum and request opinions form other Moderators to make sure that I haven't misinterpreted what was being posted. I always send a PM to the OP if I move a thread to the Moderators Forum. If I edit a post within a thread, I almost always send a PM to the poster. If I edited the thread due to foul language, you may not get a PM but I know everybody knows better.

I seldom come to this forum unless someone reports a thread.

Mike Null
05-05-2013, 8:54 AM
If I perceive the thread to be advertising I'll move it to the classified forum if the op is a contributor or delete the thread. I do not always send a pm, especially to first time ops whose only reason for posting was to advertise. I usually delete the thread rather than move it to the moderators forum but if I'm in doubt I will move it there for opinions.

In the case of threads like Liesl's, and there are quite a few, I take these as an offer to sell whether that was the intent or not. While I'm sure it was not Liesl's intent to circumvent the rules that is not always the case.