PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a free drawing program

curtis rosche
05-01-2013, 2:52 PM
Im looking for a free drawing program that I can import an image, trace it, and then save as a dfx.file so it can be waterjet cut.

Ive found free dfx files of the basic shape, but I dont have a program that will edit them to make it exactly what I want. I have Autodesk, but its an education free version and the waterjet program wont accept it.

Chris Padilla
05-01-2013, 3:41 PM
Sketch-up might work for you...just google it.

William Adams
05-01-2013, 4:31 PM
Inkscape will import / export .dxf files

Grant Wilkinson
05-03-2013, 4:12 PM
It might be a bit convoluted, but you could take a screen cap of the dxf image, the open it in any number of free graphics programs as a .jpg. Once you've made your changes, you can use a free jpg to dxf converter to change it back. (I did say it was convoluted, remember.)

You can work with dxf files in Sketchup, but I don't believe there is a trace function.

Lornie McCullough
05-03-2013, 6:53 PM
QCAD might do what you want.....

I have used it for drafting, and I know it saves in dxf format, but I know nothing about waterjet machines.

Lornie

curtis rosche
05-04-2013, 12:23 AM
I downloaded Inkscape, interesting program, and worked pretty well. thank you

'Jacques Malan'
05-04-2013, 3:15 AM
I use Draftsight (http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/features/) on occasion. My primary CAD program isn't free, but draftsight has multiple "save as" functions, including all the variations of dxf.