PDA

View Full Version : Elm - A large vaaaaaahse

Roger Chandler
04-30-2013, 7:24 PM
This is a form I wanted to try out..........just to see if what I had in my head would end up the way I envisioned. I have had this piece of elm in my shop for quite some time.......actually, about 3 years........I have almost done something with it a number of times, but never could settle in my mind what I really wanted to do with it. I like the open grain structure of it, but being a ring porous wood, boy, was it ever prone to end grain tear out.......lots of wet sanding on this one!

This is a bit on the large side, but I wanted to do it the way I did, but now that it is done........although I like it, I see a couple of things I would do differently on another similar........just a couple of subtle design changes to where the curve and cove begin on the side. This one is nearly a foot tall and 7.5" wide at the top rim. I made it to be a centerpiece to hold silk flowers.

The finish is in process........the Woodturners Finish has to cure about a day or so, then some wet sanding and some more applications.......tight grained woods are much easier with this, but one uses what one has! ;)

In one if the pics, you can see the small box I made for our upcoming club challenge on Saturday.......since I had already posted that, I thought it would make a good comparison for scale. Your comments always welcome!

Timothy Mann
04-30-2013, 7:33 PM
Very nice Roger, great looking piece of wood.

charlie knighton
04-30-2013, 8:31 PM
very nice, like your form inside and out

Roger Chandler
04-30-2013, 10:21 PM
very nice, like your form inside and out

Thanks Charlie........appreciated!

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Extremely nice Roger. I do like the form.

David DeCristoforo
05-01-2013, 12:08 AM
That's a mhaaaaavalous vaaaaahse! Very well balanced. Proportions are sweet, base is "just the right size" and the bead does a great job of anchoring the form.

Roger Chandler
05-01-2013, 4:17 AM
Extremely nice Roger. I do like the form.

Thanks Bernie!

Roger Chandler
05-01-2013, 4:17 AM
That's a mhaaaaavalous vaaaaahse! Very well balanced. Proportions are sweet, base is "just the right size" and the bead does a great job of anchoring the form.

Thank you Sir!

Michelle Rich
05-01-2013, 5:56 AM
Silk flowers haven't had it so good! I know they will enjoy their new vaaaaaahse

Roger Chandler
05-01-2013, 7:23 AM
Silk flowers haven't had it so good! I know they will enjoy their new vaaaaaahse

Thanks Michelle!

bob svoboda
05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Really nice form on a nice hunk of wood. Looks sturdy yet delicate in a way.

Dan Forman
05-01-2013, 12:37 PM
A lovely vase. Like the way the grain works on the inside too. Elm is interesting wood, but not without it's difficulties. Was the wood bone dry, or still a little damp in the center?

Roger Chandler
05-01-2013, 1:01 PM
A lovely vase. Like the way the grain works on the inside too. Elm is interesting wood, but not without it's difficulties. Was the wood bone dry, or still a little damp in the center?

Dan.......this was just a little damp in the middle.........it moved on me during the turning, but I have found that elm is usually fairly stable, so I turned it to finish instead of doing a rough out and then a drying cycle. Now that the finish is cured overnight, this one looks better in person than when I took those pics.........I am pretty happy with this one!

Marc Himes
05-02-2013, 8:21 PM
Very nice vase Roger. I like the base.

Roger Chandler
05-02-2013, 9:04 PM
Very nice vase Roger. I like the base.

Thanks Marc...........with so many who don't like a base on a vessel, it is nice to hear from one who does!!! :D This form begged for a base in my opinion! ;)

Roger Chandler
05-05-2013, 4:37 PM
After our club meeting yesterday and the positive feedback I got on this vase, I presented an idea to my wife for its use. I have another club meeting for the other club I am a member of on the third Tuesday.......after I show it there, this one will be turned over to one of the best flower arrangers I have ever met........my wife ;) and she will make an arrangement to sit on the communion table in front of the pulpit at our church.

I told her to go big with it, so I am looking forward to seeing how this one end up in its final state and location........I think it will look good in this setting and will serve a function that is honorable.