PDA

View Full Version : Felder 700z shaper buy

ryan meacham
04-30-2013, 7:15 PM
I just got on the line and bought a shaper. For me thats a major upgrade and expense. I'm searching for a edge over other contemporary furniture builders. Does anyone else have the felder 700z out their and loves it. Please give me some ammo that I can use to explain to my wife when she gets home

David Weaver
04-30-2013, 7:22 PM
Well, you can make doors more easily now. And big ones if you want.

ryan meacham
04-30-2013, 8:09 PM
thanks for the encouragement

C Scott McDonald
04-30-2013, 8:56 PM
Nice upgrade for sure! What size slider did you get for it?

Good luck on the wife thing.

david brum
04-30-2013, 11:39 PM
I would hide all the sharp things in the house.

Chuck Saunders
05-01-2013, 8:27 AM
"What? That old thing? I've had that for years."

If you're caught unloading it
"Well, I'm glad to have this back. I'm not loaning this out anymore"

Peter Quinn
05-01-2013, 10:17 AM
I encourage you to always engage in honest and open dialogue in your relationship, and at some point in 4-5 years I'm sure you will find the perfect opportunity for that. In the mean time you need to open a second private credit card mailed to a secret po box to finance this thing secretly, sneak the delivery into the shop, camoflague it with saw dust immediately, definetly no gloats or pictures here. What she doesn't know won't hurt you! Ok, this advise is of course facetious though honestly practiced by some.

i don't have a Felder, but I do have a shaper with slider. For a custom furniture maker, I'd say throw on a tenon disk set, fastest and most accurate way to mill tenons, especially on curved or anled parts. Second, big patter head like a Byrd head or similar, best way to trim thick curves to pattern. Plus the dust control is excellent on that machine, good for your health, she loves you , wants you around for a long time....see where I'm going here? Safety ( slider with hold downs), healthy, efficient money maker for your fledgling business. I honestly don't see how you can compete or survive in today's competitive market place without it! And leave some CNC catalogues with prices hanging around so this seems cheap by comparison!

ryan meacham
05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Perfect I will practice all the lines to try and keep a straight face. I think benadryl will also come in handy on move in day. You must all be great at deception or have had a lot of practice. To answer scott it has the standard 39'' slider

Jeff Duncan
05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Keep it simple....if this is your business then your just re-investing in yourself!

If it's not a business and more a thing on the side.....well your on your own, maybe your first project with it can be to build a doghouse....make sure it's comfy:D

JeffD

Chris Parks
05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Add $5000 to the price then show her the CC account and tell her you bargained it down to what you paid for it.

Jeff Monson
05-01-2013, 12:16 PM
secretly, sneak the delivery into the shop, camoflague it with saw dust immediately

Tried that once, didn't work at all. I just tell her about purchases now, life is much easier. Ryan congrats on your new machine, you will like the Felder line of equipment.

David Kumm
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
My wife is very supportive. She just applies the diamond surcharge. Dave

ryan meacham
05-01-2013, 12:44 PM
wow this has to be one of the funnest posts I've read. More people chiming in on excuses and ways to make it sound like a bargain, then ones being straight up and honest. I haven't been married that long so I'm walking a thin rope. I still have three months before delivery to confess and build that dog house, or figure out a way to conceal it, maybe under the pile of receipts from her shoe collection.

James Baker SD
05-01-2013, 1:49 PM
My wife is very supportive. She just applies the diamond surcharge. Dave

Same here, but my wife applies the European air ticket surcharge instead.

Julie Moriarty
05-01-2013, 5:17 PM
Please give me some ammo that I can use to explain to my wife when she gets home

Show her

http://sheworkswood.com/2013/01/16/get-woodworking-women-feburary-3-9/

and

http://www.womeninwoodworking.com/wiw/wiw.aspx

and

http://www.meetup.com/Woodworking-for-women/

and then tell her Happy Mother's Day! :D

Peter Quinn
05-01-2013, 7:56 PM
wow this has to be one of the funnest posts I've read. More people chiming in on excuses and ways to make it sound like a bargain, then ones being straight up and honest. I haven't been married that long so I'm walking a thin rope. I still have three months before delivery to confess and build that dog house, or figure out a way to conceal it, maybe under the pile of receipts from her shoe collection.

Stroke of genius....buy her a puppy....build a dog house....big enough to fit over the shaper! Move the dog house into the shop to make some upgrades.....sneak the shaper in UNDER the dog house! This can't fail!

Peter Quinn
05-01-2013, 8:10 PM
Show her

http://sheworkswood.com/2013/01/16/get-woodworking-women-feburary-3-9/

and

http://www.womeninwoodworking.com/wiw/wiw.aspx

and

http://www.meetup.com/Woodworking-for-women/

and then tell her Happy Mother's Day! :D

I tried to book my wife a "vacation" in Rockport Maine one year, thought a little his and hers partners wood working class would be fun..............nice school up there..............pitched it that way.................................it was like the old stages of dying book. Not sure she hit all the stages, but she definitely hit me. First there was denial as in "I can't believe you just asked me that", then there was laughter, sadness, anger, it went on and on. It was an earnest sales pitch on my part. So then I though, clearly she's not so interested for what ever odd reason, so I suggested we could just rent a cottage near by, and I could take the classes during the day while she went to the beach with the kids.....................................you wouldn't think the same stick of dynamite could explode twice in one night...................long story short, that didn't happen, and I've never been to Rockport or the state of Maine since! I can only imagine what would have happened had I actually purchased the class and given it to her as a mothers day gift. So thats a dicey proposition IMHO, and the success really depends on the women in question. It could forge for her a life long love of the craft, it could get Ryan a dope slap they will here all the way in Austria. Given he has already made the decision to buy now confess later my instincts tell me use caution. Perhaps drive to the next state over and send a text with a picture?

ryan meacham
05-01-2013, 8:42 PM
ow thats good. Try to make up to rockport, that place is amazing

Jeff Duncan
05-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Lobster rolls, steamers, and cold Sam Adams....oh yeah summer in Rockport:D

Alan Lightstone
05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

David Weaver
05-02-2013, 11:03 AM

Ditto that. A learned reaction to any request for permission is a reflexive "no".

Julie Moriarty
05-02-2013, 11:48 AM

I had a boss who used to say that all the time. His phrase was "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than get permission."

I'm thinking my daughter, who is 30, will be one of those wives who would make the trip to Rockport, as long as she gets to go to the classes too. I remember one time the two of us were in the garage changing her brake pads while my big strong son was inside playing video games. So much for stereotypes.