PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Plaques

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-15-2005, 9:57 AM
Hello all

I am trying my hand at engraving plaques and have had pretty good results with laserable brass/steel. I have a question.
Can you engrave directly onto a piano finish plaque? If yes, then how does it look and what are the steps involved, (Paint fill etc.).
Any other tricks/tips would be welcome.

Thanks

Roy Brewer
05-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Can you engrave directly onto a piano finish plaque? If yes, then how does it look and what are the steps involved, (Paint fill etc.).

Any other tricks/tips would be welcome.

Abdul,

Several people are happy lasering Piano Finish plaques with out color filling. A soft elegant look results.

However, most colorfill with gold. Possibly the most common method I see is to take a 3-5 tubes of "rub-n-buff" from your local craft supplies store and squeeze them into glass of lacquer thinner (or lighter fluid or etc.). Then brush on, squeegee off, let dry for hour or so and thin clean up with cloth wrapped around block dampened with lacquer thinner...

HTH,

Rodne Gold
05-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Hiya Roy , We use turpentine rather than laquer thinners for this , the wax based fills mostly use turps as a "softener" and thinners might damage the plaque finish.
We often also use Meths for paint clean up cos it doesnt mar the finish of the paint itself yet still removes excess - especially important for large area paint fill using ducos etc

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-17-2005, 9:29 AM
Thank you all.

Would it be ok to leave the protective film on the plaque and let it act as a mask for the paintfill, thus eliminating the cleanup process?

abdul

Roy Brewer
05-19-2005, 1:57 AM
Hiya Roy , We use turpentine rather than laquer thinners for this , the wax based fills mostly use turps as a "softener" and thinners might damage the plaque finish.
We often also use Meths for paint clean up cos it doesnt mar the finish of the paint itself yet still removes excess - especially important for large area paint fill using ducos etc

Rodney,

Thanks for the correction. Now that I think of it, turpentine *is* the smell I sense in trophy shops doing a large batch of piano finished plaques.