PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? 1 Bandsaw or 2.

Neil Bosdet
04-30-2013, 11:47 AM
I have the envious situation of setting up a new shop with new tools. I moved last week (not enviable, totally gross) but sold my machinery for a decent price to allow me to purchase new and not have move, store and move my ugly heavy machinery while I'm building my new shop.

I'm going to place my Grizzly order today and am on the fence whether to buy the 24" G0568 Bandsaw for all uses (resawing and scrolly work) or spend a little more ($1000) and get the 17" G0636X for dedicated resawing and the 19" G0514X2B for scrolly work. I need at least an 18" throat for the scrolly work. I find I go back and forth with resawing and scrolly work and constantly changing the set up is annoying and time consuming. On the other hand the size of the 24" would be very nice. It looks like it's a beast.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions. What would you do given my brief description.

Harold Burrell
04-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Wow...what a great problem to have, huh?

I'm not sure what I would do, frankly. I do have 2 bandsaws, but nothing as elaborate as what you're looking at. I have the G0513X2 (which I LOVE) that I keep a 3/4" blade on. And then I have an older 14" that I use for tighter curves, etc.

I picked up the 14" used for $150.

By looking at your post again, I guess my first question would be "How do you know you need at least 18" throat for scroll work?" Can't you flip the piece over as needed?

My second thought is this: If you know you need at least 18", why not go for the G0568? I've never heard anyone complain before that their saw was too big (Well...until they try to move it.). And then (since you have another $1000 to spend) look for a used BS somewhere...and "make do" in the meantime. :D

Matt Day
04-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Why not get a scroll saw for the scroll work instead of a giant and expensive BS?

Rick Potter
04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
If you have room in the new shop, and the 17" will meet your resaw needs, it's a no brainer. No one likes to change blades often. Get both saws.

On the other hand, if you NEED the capacity of the 24" resaw, get it and change blades till you can afford the second saw. You do know you really want two saws, right??

Congrats on the new shop,
Rick Potter

PS: I assume you are scrolling some pretty large stuff, like architectural work?

Myk Rian
04-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Might want to find out what is in stock. There have been times machines have been waiting for the boat.

Jeff Duncan
04-30-2013, 1:41 PM
What would I do......well I'd go out and buy a 30"-36" Yates, Oliver, or Tanny and have a saw that will handle everything you ever throw at it. I love my old ugly machines and there's nothing in the Grizzly catalog that comes close:p

good luck,
JeffD

Neil Bosdet
04-30-2013, 4:18 PM
Thanks for your replies. One of my main pieces requires the 18" throat. I had a Laguna LT18 (sold it now) and I utilized all of the throat. Going smaller won't work. I used the term "scrolly work" loosely. It's 1/4" blade curvy stuff. A scroll saw won't do for my needs. I was planning to go with the 24" alone but 2 would be so nice. Set them up and leave them. When you need to resaw, there you go. Quick curvy cut, no problem. The 24" seems like such overkill for my curvy work. The ultimate 17" seems like it will handle all my resaw needs. I don't need a huge throat for that, just decent height. My Laguna had 12" resaw height which limited me. I could have used more. 16" sounds like it should do the trick and at a reasonable price.

I have to decide today. I've got a Grizzly coupon and it expires today. 10% off on my order will add up to a lot. Big order.

David Kumm
04-30-2013, 4:29 PM
I'd get a good 18-20" for the scroll work and wait until a nice used 24" or larger shows up for resawing. I run a Yates Y20 for small and Oliver 30 and 36 for the large stuff. Dave

Glen Blanchard
04-30-2013, 5:07 PM
No question! 2 bandsaws. That's what I have and I wouldn't want to do that blade change thing very often.

Art Mann
04-30-2013, 7:39 PM
I hate changing blades and setting up the guides so much that I want another band saw even if it is identical to the one I already have.

ryan meacham
04-30-2013, 7:40 PM
I use 2 saws. One for re saw and the other for curves like you mentioned. I also use the smaller saw on mdf flake board and other damaging sheet good. Smaller blades are less expensive than the large

Gus Dundon
05-01-2013, 4:47 PM
Buy the two band saws for easier life.

Mike Wilkins
05-01-2013, 5:34 PM
After you go through a couple of blade changes from a resaw blade to a 1/4" blade for the scrolly stuff and back again, you will welcome a 2nd machine. I currently have a Laguna LT18 with the 12" resaw height. The newer ones come with 18" resaw capacity-nice. Then get yourself a 14" machine and keep a 1/4" blade on it all the time for the intricate stuff. Grizzly has a good 14" machine that most of the magazines seem to like. Or get one of the benchtop machines such as the Rikon benchtop for the smaller stuff. Even with my smallish shop (16 X 24), 2 bandsaws make sense.

Neil Bosdet
05-01-2013, 7:37 PM
I need a larger saw for my curvy/small blade machine. I need a min 18" throat. That's been the issue. Buy a larger machine for the curvy work but get a machine capable of resawing. That was why I was hesitating. I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought the 2 machines I listed above. I'm at ease with the decision which means I've made the right choice.

Denny Rice
05-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Changing bandsaw blades is a pain in the butt! :) If I had the ability and the space for two bandsaws that is what I would do too, have one set up for resawing and the other set up for your lighter work.

Karl Card
05-02-2013, 1:19 AM
I enjoyed having a smaller saw and larger saw setup. Until the smaller saw went down, but it will be replaced when I find a good deal on one... As others have stated it is nice to have your tools setup to use instead of adjusting or changing setting when your in the mood to get some work done...

Bill Wyko
05-02-2013, 1:39 AM
I say a bandsaw for every blade. (I'm up to 4) so I say go for it.

eugene thomas
05-02-2013, 2:35 AM
I like having two saws for all the reasons stated but also hate the thought of having to do the twist for storing on my $200+ blade.

Phil Thien
05-02-2013, 8:42 AM
Two bandsaws, changing blades is a PITA.

While these are smaller, one is setup for resawing (up to 7"), and the other has a Carter blade stabilizer for the curves.

I'd find it very difficult to go back to a single saw.

Dan katz
05-02-2013, 6:23 PM
Changing bandsaw blades is a pain in the butt! :) If I had the ability and the space for two bandsaws that is what I would do too, have one set up for resawing and the other set up for your lighter work.

I've got an old 20" Rockwell which I use for mostly ripping and an old Delta scroll saw which allows me to use up to 1/4" band saw blades. The main advantage of the scroll saw is that it allows the inside cut which is impossible with any bandsaw.
This function will open up many possibilites that you may not have explored yet.
Dan

"Suspenders are easier to break in than new boots"

Chris Fournier
05-02-2013, 8:18 PM
I'd have to have a very bandsaw intensive shop to own two of them. A friend of mine did own two a while back, after a year he's down to one. too much capital tied up for convenience sake only. Would you own two table saws, one for ripping and one for crosscutting?

Glen Blanchard
05-02-2013, 9:08 PM
Would you own two table saws, one for ripping and one for crosscutting?

Well, no. That being said, how long does it take (and how much of a hassle is it) to switch from a crosscut to a rip on a table saw?

Curt Harms
05-03-2013, 7:57 AM
I'd have to have a very bandsaw intensive shop to own two of them. A friend of mine did own two a while back, after a year he's down to one. too much capital tied up for convenience sake only. Would you own two table saws, one for ripping and one for crosscutting?

The answer as usual is "it depends". People keep a 2nd 14" cast iron saw frequently. And yes people keep a second table saw though usually with a dado blade mounted. Would most people have two big $ saws in either case? Probably not, unless they use both machines a lot. It depends on how much the second machine is worth and how often it's needed.

Jim Matthews
05-03-2013, 8:13 AM
The little bandsaw can be cheap and coarsely made yet still be very effective.

Resawing (perversely enough) is a more precise thing.
I would spend big bucks on a machine dedicated to resawing - if that's what you'll do most.

There are a couple of beefy Hitachi's for sale on the auction site that cannot be named.

Here's my take - unless you're going to dedicate a saw to hold a 1" blade - you don't really need a dedicated machine.
The current crop of steel frame machines track straight with a 3/4" blade which, properly sharpened with the correct number of teeth, will resaw most anything.

Feed rate and sharp teeth seem to have the greatest effect on results for me.
(I don't cut any exotic stuff, and that might change my view.)

Neil Bosdet
05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
The decision's been made. I'm going with 2 saws. It's extravagant but I use both set ups frequently. It's a big time waste changing over and I find I'll avoid it and delay cuts I need to make based on having to switch. To Jim, I'm resawing exotics and using 1.25" carbide blade. Then on the flip side I'm using a .25" blade for the curvy work. It's not a quick change. I only wish I could get by with a small, inexpensive bandsaw for the curvy work but I need a min 18" throat.

Fun topic though. My buddy has 2 bandsaws (same reason) and 2 table saws. 1 for ripping etc and 1 set up for dado. Nice set up. I don't dado often enough to consider 2 saws (yet). :)

james bell
05-03-2013, 12:11 PM
I have a 16mm for resawing and a 12" for scrolly work, but also a Hegner scrollsaw for real scroll work with a deeper throat. Can't put a small blade on the 16" which is why I recovered my given away 12" craftsman