PDA

View Full Version : "new" 12" jointer in the shop

Tai Fu
04-30-2013, 3:25 AM

I got my 12" jointer today. It's old and the table surface has some pitting. The seller has sanded it flat and trued it up so that it works, but got it sorta cheap (500 dollars) and it runs very smooth. It weights like half a ton too.

Don Morris
04-30-2013, 4:33 AM
If it's flat and runs smooth, and the pitting is negligable you've got a gloat. I wish I had enough room for a 12" in my small basement shop. Congrats.

David Kumm
04-30-2013, 8:56 AM
Pitting doesn't hurt anything. What is it? I've never seen one like it. Dave

Doug Ladendorf
04-30-2013, 9:03 AM
Is there a blade guard? If not it would be good to make one that's a lot of sharp spinning blade. Otherwise nice score!

McKay Sleight
04-30-2013, 10:31 AM
When I taught school, I had a 16" cresant. What a beautiful machine! However, the kids were so intimidated by it that it was seldom used. Too bad that I was unable to pick that up when it went to district surplus.

Tai Fu
04-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I think the only time I felt I wanted a guard is when I'm edge joining... it just doesn't have a lot of fence height, it's something I need to work on as well. For face jointing the guard just gets in the way. I'm not sure how I'm going to get a guard installed however...

Curt Harms
05-01-2013, 6:46 AM
I think the only time I felt I wanted a guard is when I'm edge joining... it just doesn't have a lot of fence height, it's something I need to work on as well. For face jointing the guard just gets in the way. I'm not sure how I'm going to get a guard installed however...

I'd find running without some sort of guard on a 12" cutterhead uncomfortable. If you can figure out a way to retrofit, I've become comfortable with the bridge guard that comes on the Jet JJP-12 jointer planer. It's only 2 machine screws but you'd have to have something to fasten those 2 screws to. I also don't know how easy it would be to get this as spare parts in Taiwan.

Rick Potter
05-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Looks like you got a great deal. Did it include that "fine adjustment" tool with the yellow handle;)?

I agree about the guard. Could you tap a couple holes in the side of the outfeed table, make a bracket, and build a simple sliding box to cover the blade as needed. the sides of the box could ride on the tables providing solid support. I we had a napkin I would draw it, but unfortunately I have no computer skills.

Rick Potter

Tai Fu
05-01-2013, 1:12 PM
The jointer is much older than me, so my guess is back then they made jointers without a guard. For now I just move the fence so only the amount of blades I need is exposed for the work I'm doing... that way I don't need to lean in so much and risk injury. I can really see the need for a guard though, because sometimes I fear slipping my finger while gripping the work and ramming it into the cutter.

The hammer is not related to the jointer at all, but is used to secure the power cable to the wall so they don't trip anyone over.

By the way do you think I should spend the money to upgrade to helical cutters? If so what kind should I get and will it fit (do all of them have the same arbor diameter)? I am feeling that I will probably need a lunchbox planer too, because right now I'm not sure how to properly dimension the stock, and instead I would simply run it through the bandsaw to ensure that the other face is parallel (it has a really wide blade that won't drift).

David Kumm
05-01-2013, 1:49 PM
Old jointers had guards. You should have one too. A spiral head will cost more than the jointer. Learn to set knives or get a set of ESTA knives and holders. Save your money for a planer as that is most necessary for you to work to the next level, Dave

Ryan Mooney
05-01-2013, 4:11 PM
The SUVA style guards are kind of nice on wider machines:
http://high-tech.ie/hitechmachinery/Main/Products_Safety_Guards.htm
I've seen some homemade variations on that, although perhaps not so much with the nifty break in the middle to make it short feature :D If you search the web for "suva jointer guard" you can find a few examples, apparently some walker-turner guards both swung to the side for edge jointing and lifted up for face jointing.. nifty. imho for face jointing the euro style guards scare me a lot less than the porkchop style.

Chris Fournier
05-02-2013, 9:01 PM
You can get by without a guard, simply move the fence to accomodate the width of the required cut and not much more. A cutter that you're not exposed to won't cut you.

Jim Matthews
05-03-2013, 8:50 AM
Okay, so if no one else will ask;

Why do you have astroturf on the wall?

johnny means
05-03-2013, 9:49 AM
Okay, so if no one else will ask;

Why do you have astroturf on the wall?

LOL :-) Maybe we don't want to know.

Tai Fu
05-03-2013, 11:16 AM
That's a really drafty window that allows all kinds of sound through, and I had to block it with drywall sheets and the carpet (which looks like astroturf) helps absorb the sound... it's to keep the neighbor happy. Being Taiwan the neighbor is literally 2 feet from this wall and another window facing that, which tends to let sound through.