PDA

View Full Version : Wood box making program

greg lindsey
04-29-2013, 5:17 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the wood box making program from. I need to create some wooden wine boxes.

Craig Matheny
04-29-2013, 5:44 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the wood box making program from. I need to create some wooden wine boxes.

laserjumpstart.com (http://www.laserjumpstart.com/boxit-suite/) if this is what you are looking for not sure. If the link is not allowed please delete as I have no affiliation with them just own the product

Tony Lenkic
04-29-2013, 6:38 PM
Greg,

Try this one ...........

www dot boxmaker.rahulbotics dot com

Martin Boekers
04-29-2013, 6:41 PM
It seems I remember someone posting a free one online for standard boxes.

JDS has some nice selections for under $10.. Some has wine tools too...

Gerd Spatz
04-30-2013, 2:28 AM
It seems I remember someone posting a free one online for standard boxes..

This one?: "boxdesigner.frag-den-spatz.de/fingerbox.html "

Jeff Belany
05-01-2013, 2:43 PM
I'd like to hear from anyone who has bought and used the box making program from laserjumpstart. Is it worth almost $300? I really like some of the things you can make. Not sure how hard they are to make with the software. Are they easy / fast enough to make them saleable / profitable? Some real cool items but can you make them to sell? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know there are free ones out there but the capability of this program is interesting. I want to make things other than simple boxes.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Craig Matheny
05-01-2013, 2:56 PM
Jeff I own a few of their programs Box-it and artwelder in the right market I believe they are able to make money I have not used it to the full potential but when I need the program it works very well and very fast. Others on here also own it and love it.

Joe Hillmann
05-01-2013, 3:12 PM
I don't have any of the programs but on concern I would have is once you have the design, how long does it take to cut it and even more important how long does it take to assemble and finish. I have lots of designs that aren't economically feasible because they take too long to assemble.

Craig Matheny
05-01-2013, 3:57 PM
Joe with Boit you pretty much can snap the pieces together after the cut the cost is relevant to the item you make

Joe Hillmann
05-01-2013, 4:15 PM
Even if the items snap together somehow you have to glue them. And doing a clean glueup on finger cut joints takes some work.

Peter Meacham
05-01-2013, 8:56 PM
Actually Joe, you may not have to glue, depends on your product and design. Those joints are very tight!!

Duncan Crawford
05-02-2013, 8:48 AM
Jeff,

I have both BoxIt and FlexIt macro sets, running in CorelDraw X5. Before buying them I used the free on-line programs to make things like tissue boxes, but those only do one type of tab and can't handle curved or sloped sides. BoxIt and FlexIt are easy to learn/use, and if you have a problem there's good tech support. BoxIt alone will let you do both curved and sloped sided objects, but not curved and sloped; add FlexIt so you have a living hinge option and you can do most anything you can imagine. If you get Recognition Review magazine, check out the Feb 2013 issue, page 55, and you can see some examples of both. I've also attached a picture of whisky sampler display boxes I made for a local store-- a quick BoxIt design cut in 3mm Baltic birch. I think the biggest item I've made using the macros is a 10 inch wooden lampshade with flex-cut sides-- got two of those in the house (patient wife :-). For me, the software was well worth the money if for no other reason than letting me take real advantage of the laser.

duncan

Jeff Belany
05-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all the input. I requested some samples and plan to try them out. If they work well I just may bite the bullet and spent the $$.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin (with 6-8" of snow this morning and still coming down!!)

Steve Kelsey
05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Would someone with box-it be willing to try a design for me to see if it can be done? I contacted the manufacturer and they were not interested in trying. I am not confident that the program will be able to do it as it is a pretty complex shape. Let me know and I will send you a pic but, basically, it is a piece for a burr puzzle (if you are familiar with those).

Thanks in advance for any/all help.
-Steve

Mike Lysov
05-02-2013, 11:33 PM
If I wanted to make design for one box only I would not never pay $300 for BoxIt. That's a lot of money for a macro.
As the matter of fact you can buy a lot of CorelDraw macros for $300 in total and they will save you a lot of time on everyday laser cutting tasks.
I use one called CutIt, it's packed with a lot of tools that can be used for cutting(total lengths of curves, nesting, duplication, dxf export, cardboad box design and much more) and it costs only $40-50.

I have seen free Inkscape add-on that can make box design with tabs but it is not flexible. It is more suitable for square boxes.