PDA

View Full Version : Are the fancy High tech Steel tools brittle?

Michael Stadulis
05-15-2005, 7:36 AM
I am having a bit of buyer's remorse :rolleyes: for having just placed an on-line order for a tool made out of one of the "super abrasion resistant" steels. I'm considering cancelling my order and re-ordering a tool made out of a "lesser" steel.

What is my reasoning?..........while doing some surfing yesterday, I read that one very high profile turner is quite emphatic that the harder particle steels like ASP 2060 and V-15 are just too brittle for a cutting edge. He says that ASP 2030 and M4 are fine though.

What has been your experience, if anything, as far as brittle cutting edges with the super steels?

Thanks,
Mike

Glenn Hodges
05-15-2005, 8:25 AM
I use Jerry Glasser tools which are suppose to be the hardest tools on the market. I like 'um, and have had no problems with them. You can turn, and turn, and turn without having to sharpen them. I also use P&N, Packard Brand, Crown Pro, etc. the harder the better for me.

sascha gast
05-15-2005, 5:35 PM
i have 7 glaser gouges, my tools of choice. stay sharp longer and are just a dream to use.
for my final finishing cut, i always use a freshly sharpened, softer steel gouge, since it will get a sharper edge, but my glasers are my go to gouges any day of the week.
so many opinions, just buy one or two and see for yourself.
it's like with old school turners not liking chucks, i couldn't be without them.

sascha

Keith Nielsen
05-16-2005, 5:59 PM
Forgive my boldness,

Back in the back country of the US (UTAH) that is where would one go about purchasing Jerry Glasser Tools? Its not often we even see true hardwoods let alone an Excellent tool.

Thanks
Keith

RL Johnson
05-16-2005, 7:39 PM
You might try packardwoodworks.com (http://packardwoodworks.com) they have Glasser tools

Keith Nielsen
05-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks much I'll give it a try

Keith