PDA

View Full Version : Which Dado Blade to buy?

Steven J Corpstein
05-10-2003, 12:10 AM
At the risk of opening up a 'Holy War', what dado blades are you guys using and why? I'm in the market to buy one I think. Haven't decided to go the tablesaw/dado method or just use the router.

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-10-2003, 8:20 AM
I have used several variations of Dado Cutters over the years, and I now only use a stacked Dado Cutter. I have used the Wobble, or adjustable, Dado's in the past. They do work, but they are a hassle to get set just right, and they do not produce a flat bottomed dado. Not a big problem if the end of the slot is not going to show, but it always bugged me that the groove ended up not being perfectly flat. I now use the Freud 8" Stacked Dado Cutter, and I have had excellent results with it. I know Forrest makes excellent Saw Blades, but their Dado Set is pricey, and the Freud does an great job for me. I just saw a Freud 8" Stacked Dado set at HD for around $95.00. The router works OK for Dado's too, but sometimes the Table Saw just works out better, and it is quicker with less set up most of the time. Whatever you decide, make sure to get a quality Dado Set, if you buy a cheapy set, you will not be satisfied with the results.

Ed Marks
05-10-2003, 9:22 AM
I started with a very inexpensive VT American 6" set years ago. It was awful. Later I bit the bullet and bought the Freud 8" Super Dado and love it. There are similar sets to this from CMT and Systematic and they all seem to run in the same price range. (If I remember the Systematic was about 10-15% more then the rest.) If you're using a smaller say (e.g. 1.5 hp) you might want to stick with the 6" blades. Any 3hp saw will power a 8" set just fine.

I think Woodworkers Journal ran a article about dados about 8-9 months ago. It validated a lot about how the 8" Freud SD worked. If you don't have it, it's probably in a pile around here somewhere and I could dig it up.

You will still find there are situations where the router works better. Anything too long to crosscut on the TS is better to do with the router and a guide. Chances are if you have a router you've already got everything it takes. (A straight bit, doesn't even have to be the correct diameter, and some scraps to make a guide)

Finally, if you find a Freud 8" super dado for $95 as Keven says he saw at HD, grab it. I seem to remember paying more then that (about $50 more). Be careful as there are two dado sets from Freud ("dado" and "super dado"). They are very different designs.

Doug Keener
05-10-2003, 9:39 AM
There are a number of good Dado sets out there. I have the Jasada 8". It was on special when I bought it. Just be sure to buy a good one and you will be happy. I'm guessing you will be paying $150.00 or upwards unless there is a special somewhere. Check the archives for other posts on the subject.

Doug Keener:cool:

Steven Wilson
05-10-2003, 9:45 AM
I use an 8" Forrest Dato King; fantastic! I prefer a stacked dato over using a router because plywood thickness is just too variable to match up with any router bit (even plywood sets).

David LaRue
05-10-2003, 9:52 AM
Dido on the Dado remarks

Originally posted by Kevin Gersty
I have used several variations of Dado Cutters over the years, and I now only use a stacked Dado Cutter. I have used the Wobble, or adjustable, Dado's in the past. They do work, but they are a hassle to get set just right, and they do not produce a flat bottomed dado.

I too started out with a 6" "dial a dado" which is two blades that angled toward to the outside as viewed from the top to get a groove wider than the blades. I used this on my older 1 1/2 h.p. Craftsmand TS. It worked ok, but results were unimpressive in plywood.

I now have a Forrest Dado King 8" I made my decision after reading bunch of reiews. It didn't hurt that at the WW show they were discounted . I should also add the I got great service from the distributer of Forrest, 3D saw blades. That influenced my purchase too. When I upgraded my saw, I still had not used the Thin kerf WWII, and I wanted a full kerf for my PM66. 3D exhanged it no problem. :)

Dave

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-10-2003, 10:29 AM
I have a Jet Contractors Saw
and so purchased a 6 inch set with chippers.
Thinking - the Contractors saw has a small HP motor - hence smaller diameter dado set.
How many times am I going to cut dados larger than 3/4 inch
and 6 inch set gives me a small radius on stop dados
Oh the set is from Systimatic
Shim set from Veritas
So that's my 2 cents worth.
ps - also bought a plastic shim set for those times when you need a dado - a little larger.

Ken Salisbury
05-10-2003, 11:27 AM
I recommend:

Jim Becker
05-10-2003, 1:58 PM
I use the Forrest Dado King because I have had nothing but good experience and service from the company. It's a top-rated dado set and does what it's supposed to do every time. That being said, the Freud SD-506 or SD-508 would be an excellent choice if the budget requires a little lower price point. They also have 4-wing chippers and give a high-quality cut in all materials.

Mac McAtee
05-10-2003, 9:03 PM
I received a notice of a sale by Rockler on the 8" Freud set a couple of weeks ago, $85.00. I jumped right on that and bought them. I have only use them one time and they made a beautiful dado cut in 3\4" plywood. They come with a set of metal spacers for tweaking the thickness of the stack. Packed in a plastic carry case. You might check at Rockler and see if the sale is still on.

Joe_Ott
05-10-2003, 9:07 PM
Freud SD508. No question. Kevin Gersty mentions in this thread he saw the 8" at HD. Are you sure that set was the SD set? I think Freud does market a cheaper set that you usually see at the box stores. But I'm probably wrong. Sounds too cheap(?).

Do a search for a review on any of the woodworking mag websites. Try Fine Woodworking's site.

Joe

Dave Avery
05-10-2003, 9:31 PM
Another happy Jesada 8" user

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-10-2003, 10:00 PM
The Freud Dado Set at HD was the SD208 Model. I was there again this afternoon, and I checked it out. It has the 2 wing cutters, with 4 carbide teeth on the tip of each wing. From my experience with Freud Blades, I would imagine that this 8" Dado set would suffice? So long as it will cut a flat bottom Dado, with little or no tear out, it should fit the bill. I have no experience with this model, but Freud usually produces good blades. FWIW, I have also seen this Freud Model at Woodworkers Supply for $87 and some change, but then there is shipping involved also.

Von Bickley
05-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Steven,

I cut dados with my table saw and router, depending on the cut.
I would only use the "stacked dado blades" and I think any of the major brands would satisfy your needs.

Forrest
Jasada
Freud "Super" dado
Systematic

I used Freud router bits when cutting dados with my router.

Duane M Swensen
05-11-2003, 5:43 PM
I have the Freud SD208 set and use it in oak ply and it works fine.It cuts flat bottom dados and is an excellent set for all around use at an affordable price of around $85.

dougj1715
05-11-2003, 9:45 PM
Freud SD208, it is my first dado set and actually got to use it this weekend. I don't see the need for anything (so called) better. It cuts as staight as your fence or miter fence is set. It cuts flat bottom dados, and it cuts from 1/4 in to 13/16 in. wide dados. But again this is only a newbies thoughts. I also at one time thought a saw blade was a saw blade. But then I saw a cut made by a Freud blade.