PDA

View Full Version : New "Improved" Festool Plunge Saw ???

Rich Riddle
04-29-2013, 10:42 AM
I just received an e-mail about a new improved Festool plunge saw and all the advantages of owning the new version. Do you folks think it's just hype to charge more money for few improvements? At $585, it's $35 more than the current model. Goodness knows one won't expect them to lower the price of the current model on May 1 to reduce inventory. The "old" model might be hard to move with only a $35 difference if the "new: model is that much better.

Cary Falk
04-29-2013, 11:41 AM
I think I saw that one of the new features is the flat blade guard so I can cut the bottom of dooes in place. That was copied from the DeWalt tracksaw. What has Festool come to?:eek::D

Jim German
04-29-2013, 12:17 PM
The old one is being discontinued, they're not going to be selling them side by side, and its been awhile coming so I doubt there are many of the old ones lying around. The new one sounds like it does have some nice new features, doubt its worth upgrading for though.

mreza Salav
04-29-2013, 12:27 PM
I've looked into this (as I wanted to get one). Main differences (other than the blade guard being flat on the new one) are:

- ZCI piece on the top which had to be removed on the bevel cuts can now stay in place
- 96% dust collection vs. 92%
- slightly better depth of cut micro adjustment.

Chris Rosenberger
04-29-2013, 12:51 PM
I saw one of the updated Festool saws last week. I have had 2 of the old style for about 5 years. I do not see the updates as anything that would be of value to me.
The one thing I hoped they would change, but they did not, was where the power cord is on the saw. The angle the power cord is on the saw, the cord lines up with the open slot in the top of the rail. So if I do not use the rail deflector, the cord will get caught in the slot. I do not use the deflectors on job sites, because I switch between several length rails. If they had changed the cord location, I may have upgraded.

Kelly Colin Mark
04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
I think you can also (nearly) flush cut with this saw ? That's the only thing I remember reading about the saw.

Even slightly better dust collection would interest me.

Don Sundberg
04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
So is this an update to the 55 or 75 or both?

Rich Riddle
04-30-2013, 9:15 AM
So is this an update to the 55 or 75 or both?The 55 is the only model the notification indicated.

Julie Moriarty
05-01-2013, 5:29 PM
I just received an email from Wood Werks about this saw. It looks just a little better than my 40 year old Craftsman circular saw. :rolleyes: Now, mind you, it's not like I'm all that ready to give up on wood chips flying in my face, but I was wondering, for someone who uses a circular saw primarily for outside work, and that would be only in the summer, would this saw be overkill?

For grins, I priced out the saw with a couple of 55" rails and connectors and it's only $851.00.

Okay, maybe those chips in the face aren't so bad.

Jim Becker
05-03-2013, 7:38 PM
Julie, the Festool saw doesn't replace your old Craftsman (or my B&D) construction-oriented circular saw for non-precision type cutting. It's not designed for that kind of work. But as a system with the guides, it allows a very high level of precision along with excellent dust collection. Because I have a slider in the shop, I rarely use my Festool saw "out there" (although there have been situations when it came in handy) ; rather, I use it a lot for home improvement projects where I want "in the shop accuracy" on the spot.

Festool isn't for everyone, but their system really is top-notch engineering and for folks who can benefit from the features and capabilities, the cost is long forgotten when the end results are viewed.

Julie Moriarty
05-03-2013, 9:27 PM
Jim, I'll have to confess to having imbibed in the Green Kool Aid. A couple of months ago I purchased an ETS 125, RO 125 and CT26. I'm hooked! This summer we're going to be doing some work on our garage door. When we built the house we contracted a garage door company to make up door panels with the same 5/8" rough sawn paneling we had on the rest of the house. The bottom paneling is shot but the garage door panels are good. So I was thinking of just replacing the paneling. The company who originally paneled it beveled the joints so the top overlaps the bottom a bit. It might be a 150 bevel. That old Craftsman can't make those cuts.

And if there's money left in the kitty, we want to spruce up the back deck with light posts, maybe a pergola over the hot tub and a counter/bar. The light posts would be mitered 4/4 cedar. I'm guessing the TS 55 could handle that easily. This is a sketch I was working on last year. The deck is already there. The gazebo upgrade, stair addition and pavers, at the top of the pic, we did last year. Maybe this is the year we finish it.
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Exterior/L100-Model_zps8c41d994.jpg

It's just a thought right now. But I am so in love with the accuracy, the dust collection, the build quality of the Festools I have, I could justify the expense knowing it will make the work more pleasurable. And I wasn't kidding about the Craftsman kicking chips into my face, no matter what blade I use. I've earned relief from that.

Sam Murdoch
05-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Other than the flush cut capability there does not seem to be much "improvement" to the old TS55 version, but these saws are such excellent tools that whichever model you have you are doing good! These track saws are exceptional for panel work or for cutting openings in the middle of a panel or for sizing down cabinets (scribing straight angled cuts). And I do mean EXCEPTIONAL - This saw has changed the way I cut sheet goods for the better. Fast and accurate and no tear out. Set the rail to your marks and cut. Simple as that.

Yes they can be used for solid wood but there is a set up time required if you intend to rip lumber to dimensions with or without angles as Julie is proposing. Would rather use a table saw for that type of work. Less set up and much easier repeatability. For panel work however I have found nothing easier than my Festool TS55.

Frank Trinkle
05-04-2013, 5:57 AM
I just received an email from Wood Werks about this saw. It looks just a little better than my 40 year old Craftsman circular saw. :rolleyes: Now, mind you, it's not like I'm all that ready to give up on wood chips flying in my face, but I was wondering, for someone who uses a circular saw primarily for outside work, and that would be only in the summer, would this saw be overkill?

For grins, I priced out the saw with a couple of 55" rails and connectors and it's only $851.00.

Okay, maybe those chips in the face aren't so bad.

The TS55 REQ comes WITH a 55" rail already. So to get to 110" you only buy ONE additional rail.