PDA

View Full Version : I want to be able to weld thin aluminum.....

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2013, 9:03 AM
I have zero knowledge about welding aluminum. I'm only talking about being able to weld some thin sheet aluminum together to make a cup holder for my boy's motorcycles. I also want to be able to weld together some aluminum tubing to make a luggage rack.

Now...before you start trying to have me spend $2K on a welder.....Remember, I only want to do this for a few pieces and see if I like doing this. Isn't there a way to "weld" aluminum by applying heat and using a "welding rod"?? Educate me.!! :)

Mike Wilkins
04-29-2013, 9:07 AM
I have not done this yet, but one of the wire feed MIG welders can also weld aluminum. There are units on the market that run on 110 volt power, which is what I have. I have done sheet/rod/angle iron with OK results. I am not a pro at the welding thing, but I can make 2 pieces of metal stick together. For the MIG machine to weld aluminum, you have to change the wire type to aluminum. Good luck and let us see the results.

Matt Meiser
04-29-2013, 9:11 AM
There's stuff like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html I have some from a different source and had mixed results--mostly that its hard to get the material perfectly clean and my "welds" looked really ugly. They did seem reasonably strong.

Especially for the luggage rack, I'd befriend some with a TIG welder.

Jason Roehl
04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Why reinvent the wheel?

http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Alloy-Water-Bicycle-Bottle/dp/B001V5ZQRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367248024&sr=8-1&keywords=avenir+bottle+cage

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Why reinvent the wheel?

http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Alloy-Water-Bicycle-Bottle/dp/B001V5ZQRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367248024&sr=8-1&keywords=avenir+bottle+cage

I can't mount that to the handlebars. The max surface area is round and 1-1/4" bar stock to mount to. Most motorcycle cup holders swivel so that your drink will stay in the holder.

I figure I can make one for both of them for about $4 in sheet aluminum and a brazing/welding seam or two and I'd have a new skill and be saving money along the way. :)

Stephen Cherry
04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
The low temperature rods, if they don't melt the material being welded, seem more like soldering or brazing than welding.

To weld thin aluminum, a ac capable tig welder is in order. A good machine can, as is commonly stated, "weld a razor blade to a railroad track". Mig welding is not as suitable for thin material because once you pull the trigger, the wire keeps on coming out, potentially causing thick spots in the weld. With tig, the metals are melted, and filler is added only as needed. With aluminum, you usually want a fat bead because the weld will be soft. Not many machines will be cheap.

Also, why not consider epoxy?

Jason Roehl
04-29-2013, 11:38 AM
I can't mount that to the handlebars. The max surface area is round and 1-1/4" bar stock to mount to. Most motorcycle cup holders swivel so that your drink will stay in the holder.

I figure I can make one for both of them for about $4 in sheet aluminum and a brazing/welding seam or two and I'd have a new skill and be saving money along the way. :)

Oh, you'd need something like this, then, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-BH-95X-Vertical-Horizontal-Bottle/dp/B001392T2O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367249753&sr=8-5&keywords=handlebar+cage+adapter

Those bottle cages hold a water bottle pretty well--no need to swivel. They wouldn't work with an open-top cup, but I wouldn't want that on a motorcycle anyway (all those bugs and dust and junk getting in my drink--blech!)

'Jacques Malan'
04-29-2013, 1:21 PM
Welding aluminium is a science on its own, and most people will tell you TIG is the way to go.

Or you can go to this guy (http://www.tinmantech.com/) , I've seen him weld alu sheet with oxy acetylene.

Ben Hatcher
04-29-2013, 1:32 PM
Aluminum forms an oxide layer on its exterior when exposed to air. The oxide layer's melting point is 3x the internal metal's. When using a DC welder, by the time the oxide layer melts, the interior is soup. An AC welder blasts the oxide layer off exposing the aluminum. I'm not sure how quickly the oxide layer forms. You might be able to sand the surface to remove the oxide and quickly weld it with the cheaper DC welders.

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2013, 1:55 PM
I've run across a product called "Durafix". It appears to be an alloy brazing rod that is low temp and allows you to "braze/weld" aluminum together. I don't know, but I'll keep looking around.

Larry Whitlow
04-29-2013, 1:59 PM
I am not an expert and somewhat relunctant to comment. Now that I've stated my nonqualifications up front, I think from the standpoints of equipment expense and fabrication skiils you might want to consider steel rod for the cup holders and rack. Steel tubing might also be an option for the rack. Years ago we rebuilt an old Yamaha trail bike that was missing parts that were no longer available. We had to fabricate all kinds of brakets to hold lights, license plates, etc. Did it back then with torches and an 110v stick welder. If doing it today, I would have invested in a MIG.

Mac McQuinn
04-29-2013, 2:25 PM
You can weld, braze or solder Aluminum. Purchase a set of Oxy-Acetylene tanks and good quality torches and have at it. I've found the Meco Midget Torch works well for work like this.

Best info I've found on this is;https://www.tinmantech.com/index.php
This method will give you the skills to heat, braze, weld, solder & cut all different types of materials and will leave you with excellent tip/flame/puddle control skills that can be used with other methods of welding.

Good luck,
Mac

Bruce Page
04-29-2013, 3:32 PM
Dennis, I’d be prone to buying something like this Attwood (http://www.iboats.com/Attwood/dm/cart_id.591877779--keywords.brand_291_Attwood--search_in_category.t--session_id.654503041--view_id.731313?cm_sp=BrandLinks-_-Sidebar-_-Attwood) cup holder and making a handlebar mount for it. I know with my welding skills it would end up looking a lot better.. :o

Steve Rozmiarek
04-29-2013, 9:24 PM
As said above, TIG is the answer. It's fun too, but not a skill I've mastered. For just a few projects, it would be a lot cheaper to hire it done. Good TIG welders are not cheap.

Shawn Pixley
04-29-2013, 9:46 PM
Not strictly on topic. But if I was trying to fasten a cup holder to a round member on a motorcycle, I would look at boating accessories. There are many options out there for that.

Stephen Cherry
04-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Also, for the tig welding, years ago I was interested in this sort of thing, so I bought a nice welder and started practicing. This was in the pre youtube days, so everything was more difficult. I would say that it took me about 6 months to become reasonably proficient. It's not rocket science, but it does take time and practice.

Matt Meiser
04-29-2013, 10:33 PM
That's why I suggesting finding the friend to go with it. :)

Matt Day
04-30-2013, 7:55 AM
TIG would be the straight answer if you want to weld. Be warned - it is NOT easy!

You can make gorilla welds with steel, but Al will just burn away without the right settings and technique, or you won't make an adequate weld. I suggest that you at minimum take a class at your local vo-tech to get an idea what you're in for.

I took a class on it because I wanted to better understand hiw Al bicycle frames are made. Making good looking and strong welds is an art and takes lots and lots of practice.

Best advice - ask a friend who knows what he's doing, or have it done by a shop.

Chuck Saunders
04-30-2013, 8:59 AM
TIG welding is like cutting dovetails, It takes practice to develop the skills and the early attempts will work but you don't want to show anyone. The more expensive welders perform better and the inverters are able to do things the transformer models can't. Very similar to oxy-acetylene welding except you don't move the torch away to control heat, you have a foot pedal for that. I think that the magic rods are the easiest way to knock something like this out for little investment.

Dennis Peacock
04-30-2013, 9:32 AM
All good info guys. Thanks.!!!