PDA

View Full Version : Nailer Kit/Compressor Question

Scott Reed
04-29-2013, 12:13 AM
I’m getting ready to buy a nailer kit or will perhaps go with separates. For a kit I’m looking at the Dewalt kit that can be bought for $289 on Amazon or the new Porter Cable kit that can be bought for $299. The Dewalt features 2 guns and the PC has 3. I’ve also considered getting the Makita MAC700 compressor and then picking up a couple decent guns. My intended uses are trim work and such, no framing or anything heavy duty. I mostly want an 18ga brad nailer and a 23ga pin nailer. If anybody has any recommendations or comments I would greatly appreciate them.

Don Morris
04-29-2013, 4:30 AM
The Dewalt nailer kit I saw on Amazon was an 18 ga and 16ga plus the emglo compressor. I like your idea of the 18 ga plus the 23 ga pin nailer and the Makita compressor better. I have a 2HP 20 gal oiled compressor and my son has the oilless emglo which is LOUD. If all your doing is what you say, then the Makita should do the job nicely. So would the emglo if you can handle the noise. To me there just isn't enough difference between the 18 ga and 16 ga to make that much difference. But there is a whale of a difference between the 18 ga and a pin nailer. I read there was a 4 gal model Makita. That would recycle less often. Something to consider.

Bill White
04-29-2013, 7:17 AM
I use a 16, 18, and 23 ga gun when trimming. My PC compressor was bought new in 2001.(with the 18 and 16 ga guns). Still runnin' strong, but I maintain all my air tools carefully.
Bill

Jason Roehl
04-29-2013, 8:26 AM
Personally, I find an 18-ga brad to be inadequate for running baseboard especially, but generally anything that's not a direct wood-to-wood joint. Longer 18-ga brads have a high probability of following grain, blowing out the side of trim, or even doing U-turns and sticking out next to where you drove it. Pin nailers are best used in conjunction with glue, or for only the smallest trim profiles (scribe, cove, shoe, dentil, rope, etc.). I also find 16-ga to be barely adequate for hanging doors (I think they're fine because I normally replace the center hinge screw on each hinge with a 3" screw into the framing), but if I had a 15-ga nailer, I would use that for doors.

I've got you beat, Bill--I've had a twin-tank PC compressor since fall of 2000. I don't do a whole lot for it maintenance-wise, and it's still going strong. ;)

Ken Krawford
04-29-2013, 8:33 AM
I managed to snag the PC 6 gallon compressor with 18G, 16G and narrow crown staple guns at Home Depot for $245 a couple of month ago. I can't recall seeing it that low anywhere since.

Don Morris
04-29-2013, 9:05 AM
Forgot to mention that I have a 15 ga Senco nailer and that with my 18 ga PC and a Grex 23 pin are all I've needed so far. Sort of heavy duty, medium, and light.

Rich Riddle
04-29-2013, 11:00 AM
I prefer your third option, the Makita MAC 700 small compressor with other guns (in my case Senco and Grex guns), not combination units. The Makita is oil run and much quieter than most of the non-oiled units I have used in the past. Some members say they own non-oiled compressors that are extremely quiet as well. Noise matters to me. The Grex provides a superb 23 gauge pinner. The Senco are a good standard gun much like a Goodyear tire is a decent tire.

Personally, I find an 18-ga brad to be inadequate for running baseboard especially, but generally anything that's not a direct wood-to-wood joint. Longer 18-ga brads have a high probability of following grain, blowing out the side of trim, or even doing U-turns and sticking out next to where you drove it. Pin nailers are best used in conjunction with glue, or for only the smallest trim profiles (scribe, cove, shoe, dentil, rope, etc.). I also find 16-ga to be barely adequate for hanging doors (I think they're fine because I normally replace the center hinge screw on each hinge with a 3" screw into the framing), but if I had a 15-ga nailer, I would use that for doors.

I concur with all your statements. Extra long 18 gauge nails do little to nothing for trim other than a 180 degree turn and pop out. I installed some baseboard this weekend and used a 16 gauge after reading lots of articles. With the putty available, I cannot tell where any of the nails are located. It's also adhered very well.

Brad Sperr
04-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Not to steer you down the path of spending more money, but a larger oiled compressor would be more versatile if you ever want to take on heavier framing, roofing, air tools, etc. in the future. I finally bought a 20 gallon IR garage mate after using an oil free PC pancake compressor for years, and there's a dramatic difference in noise and time between cycling. It also is "portable" (in that it has wheels but still weighs around 200lbs) and it has about the same footprint as the pancake compressor. Puma also makes a nice looking 20 gallon stand up oiled compressor that I considered.

In terms of guns, I also like a 16, 18, and 23 gauge for trim. I really only use the 18 gauge for tacking miter joints on door and window casings, though, to make sure they're tight.

Jery Madigan
04-29-2013, 12:42 PM
If you re going to buy one ot the PC or Dewalt kits, they go on sale regularly for significant discounts. I was also able to use a harbor freight 20% off coupon at HD.

Art Mann
04-29-2013, 4:52 PM
I bought the Porter Cable kit with 16, and 18 gauge nailers and narrow gauge stapler. They have all worked flawlessly under constant use for many years. My only complaint is that the compressor is L-O-U-D. For that reason alone, I might consider a different brand compressor next time if it ever wears out. Incidentally, I bought a $10 Harbor Freight 23 gauge pin nailer on sale just to play with and decide whether I wanted to own a good one. That piece of junk has worked so well that I just can't justify replacing it. I keep hoping it will break soon.

Edit: I also use the compressor to run my Porter Cable framing nailer framing houses and it has been more than adequate for the task. Actually, it will run 2 framing nailers simultaneously without difficulty. I just use it on a hundred foot hose so it isn't quite so loud.