PDA

View Full Version : My half day in the shop this weekend - TS alignment tip & corian ZCI

Matt Day
04-28-2013, 5:35 PM
After my TS began suddenly squealing very loudly, I knew it was due time to replace the arbor bearings. Since I had to order the bearings and don't get the amount of time in the shop I used to since my daughter was born, it's taken me about a month.

In addition to the arbor bearing replacement, I wanted to make some new ZCI's out of some Corian I have, and make sure the saw was setup and aligned properly.

When I bought the saw it didn't come with the stock blade insert, only a beat up wood insert that was cracked. I made my other ZCI's using it as a template, but they never worked well - gaps caused slop which I had to make up with some set screws. So while I had the TS top off, I traced the opening onto 1/4" MDF and made a template. Here's the final product and it came out great I think - no slop and a perfect fit. I think the biggest benefit is that the Corian is inert and won't change size seasonaly like the Oak ones I used to have.
Next up was to align the miter slot to the blade and miter slot to fence. I have one of those magnetic base dial gauges, but it can be clumsy for things like this. I saw some shop made miter slot/dial indicator jigs for alignment, but I didn't think I had to do that. So instead I came up with this modification to my miter sled which worked great.
After aligning it to about .003" or there abouts and using the corian ZCI, cuts are smoother and plywood isn't chipping out on the bottom of the cut like it used to.

Chris Fournier
04-28-2013, 6:28 PM
ZCIs in a TS are indespensible. I would not however use corian. Rather I have used MDF for years and dozens of ZCIs. Should the blade deflect in a cut, MDF offers little or no resistance to the blade, the blade deflects cuts into the MDF and no worries. Corian however certainly will offer up some resistance to the blade and the chance that the corian gets picked up by the blade and thrown at the operator is too great a risk in my books.

Matt Day
04-28-2013, 7:29 PM
Chris, thanks for the heads up but I'm not too concerned. The fit is quite snug and I have a z-clip on the bottom at the front that I think would help in possible kick back.

Myk Rian
04-29-2013, 3:09 PM
Chris, thanks for the heads up but I'm not too concerned. The fit is quite snug and I have a z-clip on the bottom at the front that I think would help in possible kick back.

I hope you meant the BACK of the blade.
What happens is the back of the blade is coming up, and will throw the insert at you, unless the back of the insert is held down.

Matt Day
04-29-2013, 3:46 PM
Myk, you're right, I was thinking and typing like the end further away was the front. So I've got a clip to prevent it being thrown at me.