PDA

View Full Version : sooty edges - please help!

ella goodwin
04-28-2013, 9:08 AM
Hi all

I realise there is a similar post in here but I just wanted to relate it to veneer. I have run laser cutters in art schools and when cutting laserable birch and mdf always got a lovely golden edge. I no longer work there so have had to outsource to a London company. I went for 6mm oak veneer, it looks lovely but the edges are so sooty and there is no getting it off. I have cleaned and cleaned and tried every tip I found on here. It will seem clean but as soon as a slightly damp cloth is run over it it's mucky. These are for bag handles so I don't want warm hands of those who buy them to be covered in soot after a day out shopping!

The company say this is normal for this material. Is this so? I realise 6mm is thick but at this stage I either need to ditch the idea of laser cutting this veneer or if this isn't normal find another company who can do it without the soot.

I have bought a solvent cleaner to try today in a final attempt to clean them! They also had a lot of scorching in places where the tape wasn't firmly down when laser cut but this is sanding off.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm so gutted at the £400 outlay I put into this I could cry :(

Ross Moshinsky
04-28-2013, 9:15 AM
It might be possible to tweak the settings and get better results but the reality is, you're cutting with heat so some of this is expected. Changing material might be the best way forward but changing the process might even be a better idea. This might be an application where a CNC Router is what you want to use.

ella goodwin
04-28-2013, 9:51 AM
It might be possible to tweak the settings and get better results but the reality is, you're cutting with heat so some of this is expected. Changing material might be the best way forward but changing the process might even be a better idea. This might be an application where a CNC Router is what you want to use.

Thanks, yes I think I will look into that(router), is that usually a much more expensive option? These laser cut pieces cost a lot each but this was the materials and extra time it takes to get through 6mm. Thanks again

Doug Griffith
04-28-2013, 9:58 AM
More power, faster speed and a lower frequency may help. The goal is to incinerate and not burn. Their machines may not be powerful enough.

Ross is right that a CNC may be the tool for the job. if these are small items that are cut all the way through, holding the material down will be an issue. Vacuum usually won't be enough. You'll need to tab the pieces at an inconspicuous place, use double sided tape, or make fixtures.

Ross Moshinsky
04-28-2013, 9:58 AM
Thanks, yes I think I will look into that(router), is that usually a much more expensive option? These laser cut pieces cost a lot each but this was the materials and extra time it takes to get through 6mm. Thanks again

It depends on the detail but I wouldn't expect it would cost significantly more or less to cut it with a router.

As for the pieces you currently have, I'd grab a piece of sand paper and sand them down. There should be no reason you can't sand them down. Another thing I should have mentioned earlier is sealing the wood. There is a chance you'd be able to seal the wood. It depends on the condition of the edge to some degree, but that might be your best bet going forward.

ella goodwin
04-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Thank you, yes sanding but can't sand right down to bare wood as the fiddly inside corners are to impossible to get into261097This is a pic of what they're used for so grubby edges isn't good! I see what you mean about holding on to the bits of wood in terms of router cuttin, hmmm. I have tried sealing and that's working okay on the ones I've really cleaned back with solvent based cleaners. I need to find a way so that in future they are good to go once cut without hours of sanding and trying to fix them up. I am sending back the ones that are actually crumbly round the edges as I'm sure too much power has been used in places even though the company insist this is normal. Having not cut this thickness of veneer myself it's hard to argue with what I don't know but I had lovely results with laserables myself in the past. (although not this thick - 6mm)

Thanks again, I massively appreciate the advice.

John Finnegan
04-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Ella - I love those - really clever. Thanks for posting them.

BTW, if your edges are 'crumbly' or are getting voids, you or your vendor will need to find a different source for your wood supply. It may not be easy to find (plywood quality is all over the place), and you may need to go back to the birch you used at school.

-John

Kim Vellore
04-28-2013, 12:17 PM
It looks like it is for niche market, so if you have a choice can you cut it out of acrylic and glue wood veneer on both sides with some 3m double side tape.

Kim

Michael Hunter
04-28-2013, 1:16 PM
I have done lots of 5mm oak (real oak all the way through).
The edges end up very dark or black, but with a sheen - no soot or char to be seen.
A quick wipe with "Mr Sheen" polish completes the job.

If they are getting soot/char, then their laser is not powerful enough for the job and/or they are using the wrong settings.
Ask for your money back!

ella goodwin
04-28-2013, 2:22 PM
I have done lots of 5mm oak (real oak all the way through).
The edges end up very dark or black, but with a sheen - no soot or char to be seen.
A quick wipe with "Mr Sheen" polish completes the job.

If they are getting soot/char, then their laser is not powerful enough for the job and/or they are using the wrong settings.
Ask for your money back!

Thanks! It's veneer so mdf inbetween but it should be laser mdf which I wouldn't expect to char. If I could get 5mm oak that was oak all the way through that would be amazing. I couldn't source any solid wood that thin....

ella goodwin
04-28-2013, 2:55 PM
Ella - I love those - really clever. Thanks for posting them.

BTW, if your edges are 'crumbly' or are getting voids, you or your vendor will need to find a different source for your wood supply. It may not be easy to find (plywood quality is all over the place), and you may need to go back to the birch you used at school.

-John
Thanks John, they have been a real trial to get together when I thought they'd be so simple!(this seems to be quite usual though!)
I have today managed to scrub and sand and scrub some more and this batch are finally usable. Indeed I will need a better solution for the next lot.

Michael Hunter
04-28-2013, 3:59 PM
Ella -

I get my 5mm solid wood from Moran's Wood Components (www dot moranswoodcomponents dot co dot uk).
Look under Laser Engraveable/ wooden Slats.

Not cheap (about 10p per square inch, depending on the wood [oak is among the cheaper ones]), but excelent quality and pre-finished with lacquer so easy to clean up after engraving/cutting.

Chuck Stone
04-28-2013, 7:56 PM
Thanks! It's veneer so mdf inbetween but it should be laser mdf which I wouldn't expect to char.

I only tried it a couple of times, but it always charred on me.

The handles look big enough to get a piece of sandpaper around your
finger and get most of the interior edges. A dip in shellac should seal
in any smell, too. A few more dips would give you a nice finish.

ella goodwin
04-29-2013, 2:15 AM
Ella -

I get my 5mm solid wood from Moran's Wood Components (www dot moranswoodcomponents dot co dot uk).
Look under Laser Engraveable/ wooden Slats.

Not cheap (about 10p per square inch, depending on the wood [oak is among the cheaper ones]), but excelent quality and pre-finished with lacquer so easy to clean up after engraving/cutting.

Thanks for the link,that's great I will look into it. Looks like really nice luxury quality which is what I am after

ella goodwin
04-29-2013, 2:16 AM
I only tried it a couple of times, but it always charred on me.

The handles look big enough to get a piece of sandpaper around your
finger and get most of the interior edges. A dip in shellac should seal
in any smell, too. A few more dips would give you a nice finish.

Thanks Chuck, I will try the Shellac!

Mike Dempsey
04-29-2013, 2:47 AM
Ella I can supply you with wood of any thickness/size you require as my main business is a cabinet making workshop. You can pm me your phone No and I can call you later on this morning. Mike

Bill Cunningham
04-30-2013, 9:37 PM
A bench top 1" band sander would clean those up in no time.. well not as much time as by hand anyway.. I have always found that solid wood particularly oak, cuts a lot easier than veneer.. A 35 watt machine should have no trouble cutting 1/4" (6mm)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj165/sdmcw/MVC-603F.jpg